Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I saw no other W123 on the road. But the other day it was a cascade. Almost everywhere I looked there was a W123. Whenever I see one I look at it and smile, regardless of its condition. So far, only 2 fellow W123 drivers have returned my smile.

The first time was when my dad was with me. This 300CD turbodiesel coupe passed by w/ BBS rims. I slowed down to admire his car. He slowed down too, looked back, and smiled. Thumbs ups came from both of us. I saw him again the other day but he might not have noticed me.

The other one was when I was with my family and a fellow W123 was with theirs. We were side by side at a light, and I noticed he had the convex rightside mirror (it had the warning that objects appear closer...). We both looked at each other's car and smiled. All passengers in both cars smiled too, like they understood what was going on.

Lots of times the W123s I see are daily drivers and in fair to poor condition. 3 times did I see a W123 with the same color as mine. There seems to be 3 W123s at school. I hope to park next to one of them next time.

Do you smile, wave or say anything nice when you see a fellow W123? Do they respond nicely too?

[8D]

·
Registered
1980 300D
27 Posts
I'm too new to the Benz scene and haven't really been paying much attention. But the more I drive mine the more I look for others.

I'm in the procees of getting my Land Rover Disco ready to sell, but I've owned it for about 3 years and that crowd is very friendly. Almost always get a wave and a smile out of a passing LR.

This leads to a great question, maybe I'll make a seperate post for it, are there any MB or W123 groups or clubs, particularly in my area (Port Huron MI)?

Would anyone like to get together for swap meets or discuss our MB fun or woes?

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
130 Posts
I always smile when I see another w123! My wife is probably getting tired of me saying "look!, there's my car!" But I don't care.

I never really noticed the w123 until I was looking for a diesel commuter car and I feel in love with it. Now I have noticed there are two other w123 on my block. And it isn't a very big block!

There are also a lot of other w123's in my area. I love passing by the 240's going up the many hills around where I live [:)] But I always give them a good looking over and a smile when I go by. I'm sure they are jealous of my non smoking powerful [:D] 3.0 turbo. I usually only get jealous when I see another w123 with hub caps!!!

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,651 Posts
Karugs,

Be cautious about whom you trust. In another car I had, which was very nice, I went out to eat and saw the same kind of car, not as nice as mine, with an empty space next to it. So I decided it would look cool with both of them sitting next to each other and parked there. However when I came out I discovered that the other car was gone and so were some parts from my vehicle, wheel caps and a wiper. I guess he needed to up-grade his POS, at my expense, the Bas%$&d. [xx(]

I know yours is much nicer than most. Be careful.[8D]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gary, thanks for the advise. I understand what you mean, because I once parked beside this beaten W123 w/ neglected paint, dark but splotchy tint, and some rust. Same as you, I thought it would be cool.

Nothing happened to my car, but when I came out of the store it hit me! What if the owner decided to pull some stuff from my car, or worse...key it?

I know, I'm a very trusting person. I need to adjust that somehow. [}:)]

Here's a twist. One time at school this W126 parked right next to mine. Maybe there wasn't any other slot left, but it was nice to see a newer, black W126 right beside a yellow, classic W123. His bumper was kinda short so I figured it might be an imported/grey market European version.

Schmoney, very true!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jdc1244a - 4/22/2005 10:18 PM

karugs - 4/22/2005 4:49 PM

...but it was nice to see a newer, black W126 right beside a yellow, classic W123.

Are you implying a 126 is not classic? [:(!]
No, only that the W126 is a newer model than the classic W123. In my eyes the W126 is not yet a classic because it doesn't look like one, although many would disagree.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
No, i dont think the 126 is a classic either. They have newer features on them and the body doesnt look like a classic. Not enough chrome and such.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
karugs - 4/23/2005 1:26 AM

No, only that the W126 is a newer model than the classic W123. In my eyes the W126 is not yet a classic because it doesn't look like one, although many would disagree.
obaja - 4/23/2005 4:41 AM

No, i dont think the 126 is a classic either. They have newer features on them and the body doesnt look like a classic. Not enough chrome and such.

Please explain, with the exception of a deficiency of chrome, how a car whose prototypes date back more than 30 years is ‘new.’ The 1975 126 prototypes used 123 grills, headlights, and side markers, btw.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Hmmm…

It’s not fair to exclude the 126 from the classic ranks because it was too new looking when designed.

[B)]

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Calm down. Your 126 will soon be a classic!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're comparing the W123 vs the W126 in terms of classicness. Ask anybody which is more classic, I'm sure they'd vote the W123. Why? The W126 seems too modern, even for a classic which it really is. But in my eyes it does not look like one. Maybe I'm not just used to the W126 looks yet as I don't have one, and you see two very nice ones everyday.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Methinks the 126 coupe is most certainly a classic. The sedan is a fine tremendous automobile, which is just a notch below a classic.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
MBZ300CD - 4/22/2005 11:41 AM

....Be cautious about whom you trust. In another car I had, which was very nice, I went out to eat and saw the same kind of car, not as nice as mine, with an empty space next to it. So I decided it would look cool with both of them sitting next to each other and parked there. However when I came out I discovered that the other car was gone and so were some parts from my vehicle, wheel caps and a wiper. I guess he needed to up-grade his POS, at my expense, the Bas%$&d. [xx(]

I know yours is much nicer than most. Be careful.[8D]

In my office, another fellow also drives a W123 but in far more less condition than me. It would be impolite to park next to the car, as it would be sign of arrogance to the rest of the office. Beside, he is a senior staff. So I always park in another lot (although I am dying to park next to that car)[:D]

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
I parked next to the same car as mine when i went in the bank and of course i came out before the other owner did so eh, that was kinda useless. But today i was at a light and guess what pulls up behind me, another turbo with 2 young punks in it. And another 300d was across the intersection making a left. Wow 3 123s at 1 intersection, kinda rare around here. Well anyways the guys were looking at mine and stuff. but when the light turned green i gave it half throttle, normal takeoff and they kept up with me kinda closely while all the other cars were away. I turned into the shoping center and so did he and that was the end. well thats my story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts