Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

I’m in the process of replacing guide rails, timing chain and tensioner in my new to me 1989 560SEC. I’m using all Genuine MB parts for those items. In researching the sprockets, I have read not to use FEBI but it is ok to use Swag for the sprockets and nearly the same price. However, in trying to source for all the usual avenues, I'm finding are all vendors are out of stock with no expected date of being available. In fact, several showed in stock but when I ordered, I eventually received emails notification that they were out of stock and they were issuing refunds. So, now I’m left with the decision of buying Febi for $35/per or shelling out $252/per.

Now a little more information. This car has 128,000 miles and I believe oil changes may not have been as religiously done as I would have liked based on the visible varnishing and carbon buildup under the valve covers. There is no recored and visual inspection confirms that the guides are probably original. However, the engine runs very strong and doesn't blow any smoke at startup or otherwise. So, I'm figuring I'll be good for another 50k until I would pull the heads and do a complete top end. My first thought is to use the Febi's now and then use the MB sprockets when I do the extensive work later. My question is; Has anyone, with vast experience, specifically ordered and used the Febi sprockets lately? I know that generally speaking to avoid Febi, if you can, especially with any rubber or plastic parts but is there really a huge difference between the equally priced SWAG sprocket? Or I could just leave my original sprockets on, but I would have to think even the FEBI's may be a better option than that. Pics of my sprockets are attached.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1921.jpg
IMG_1912.jpg

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,060 Posts
i used febi cam rockers on my top end...all good so far

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,072 Posts
from the looks of them they look OK to me, not too pointy. if you do pull them off give me a shot at buying them from you, as they look in better shape than mine

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,068 Posts
After you get it back together start using some sea foam between oil changes and you will remove a lot of that varnish. Your existing gears look ok for now and you can change them pretty easy when you get the new ones. The gear will slip off without taking the chain apart. 10 minute job once you have the covers off.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,729 Posts
Replace the oiler tubes and plastic fittings into the cam towers. They are cheap and will be somewhat clogged from the lack of oil changes. Cam gears look ok.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,060 Posts
we i did my top end rebuild my original 200000 mile sprokets were still pointy.. still changed them

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
105 Posts
If I had an original and aftermarket sprocket I might test them with a file to feel if they are about as hard on the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts