Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
vintage
14,512 Posts
Surely the timeline alone would be reasonable circumstantial evidence. Let alone the fact that the nsa captures everything and I would have to assume that includes Zuckerbergs data too.
Countless precedent would write it off as 'coincidence'.

·
Registered
98 c280, 02 clk430
265 Posts
The company I first worked for in the City was involved in this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_share-trading_fraud

At a reunion of former traders in a London City pub many years later, someone asked our former chairman if he wanted a pint, after all, 'Guinness is good for you' - the famous adverstising slogan used by Guinness at the time. My erstwhile boss replied 'Not for me it wasn't...'. I could write a fucking book....

I have heard about Boesky. He made the news up here too, had no idea it was with Guinness stock though.

Laughing my ass off about the book.

·
Registered
zero
19,471 Posts
Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb fucks

·
Registered
62,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Facebook can be a great thing, you just have to know how to use it-

of course we'll have to see how their behavior unfolds.
Yep, gotta be in control of what you want and put in there and what you want to see.

You're in the soup...

Facebook said the personal data of most of its 2 billion users has been collected and shared with outsiders

Facebook said Wednesday that most of its 2 billion users likely have had their personal information scraped by outsiders without the users' explicit permission, dramatically raising the stakes in a privacy controversy that has dogged the company for weeks, spurred investigations in the United States and Europe, and sent the company's stock price tumbling.

The acknowledgment was part of a broader disclosure by Facebook on Wednesday about the ways in which various levels of user data have been taken by everyone from malicious actors to ordinary app developers.

"We’re an idealistic and optimistic company, and for the first decade, we were really focused on all the good that connecting people brings," Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg said on a call with reporters Wednesday afternoon. "But it’s clear now that we didn’t focus enough on preventing abuse and thinking about how people could use these tools for harm as well."

As part of the disclosure, Facebook for the first time detailed the scale of the improper data collection for Cambridge Analytica, a political data consultancy hired by President Trump and other Republican candidates in the last two federal election cycles. The political consultancy gained access to Facebook information on up to 87 million users, 71 million of whom are Americans, Facebook said. Cambridge Analytica obtained the data to build “psychographic” profiles that would help deliver targeted messages intended to shape voter behavior in a wide range of U.S. elections.

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,108 Posts
Meh, no problem . . . wearing a sharp looking burnt orange Hawaiian shirt in my profile pic . . . I'm sure they've got me pegged.

Used to do those surveys (the most notorious way to mine your profile), played a couple of their games (pretty good thread by one *cough*itwasdig*cough* on one of them), don't do that anymore. Set my parameters to "friends only" for posts and profile information, so at least it'll be more challenging for them next election.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,185 Posts
Meh, no problem . . . wearing a sharp looking burnt orange Hawaiian shirt in my profile pic . . . I'm sure they've got me pegged.

Used to do those surveys (the most notorious way to mine your profile), played a couple of their games (pretty good thread by one *cough*itwasdig*cough* on one of them), don't do that anymore. Set my parameters to "friends only" for posts and profile information, so at least it'll be more challenging for them next election.

·
Registered
62,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Bought and paid for...

WASHINGTON — Members of the House and Senate committees that will question Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg about user privacy protection next week are also some of the biggest recipients of campaign contributions from company employees and the Facebook Inc. PAC.

The committee that got the most Facebook contributions is the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which announced Wednesday morning it would question Zuckerberg on April 11.

Members of the committee, whose jurisdiction gives it regulatory power over internet companies, received nearly $381,000 in contributions tied to Facebook since 2007, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

The second-highest total, $369,000, went to members of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, which announced later that it would have a joint hearing with the Senate Judiciary Committee to question Zuckerberg on Tuesday. Judiciary Committee members have received $235,000 in Facebook contributions.

On the House committee, Republicans got roughly twice as much as Democrats. But of the $7 million in contributions to all federal candidates tied to the Menlo Park, Calif.-based social network, Democrats got 65% to Republicans' 33%.

Of the 55 members on the Energy and Commerce Committee this year, all but nine have received Facebook contributions in the past decade. The average Republican got $6,800, while the average Democrat got $6,750.

Committee Chairman Greg Walden, R-Ore., received $27,000, while Rep. Frank Pallone of New Jersey, the top-ranking Democrat, got $7,000.

Walden and Pallone jointly announced that the committee on April 11 will question Zuckerberg "to shed light on critical consumer data privacy issues and help all Americans better understand what happens to their personal information online."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/04/facebook-gave-most-contributions-house-committee-question-zuckerberg-also-got-most-contributions-fac/486313002/

·
Registered
92 300CE/1996 mustang cobra (supercharged)/12 Civic/15 F150/04 F150 mud truck
8,099 Posts
AT this point, no one should be on facebook. it should be a mass exodus
my 2 cents
I always felt that facebook was an intelligence gathering tool

·
Registered
62,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak says he's leaving Facebook, amid concerns about security safeguards on the personal information that users share with the social media giant.

"I am in the process of leaving Facebook. It's brought me more negatives than positives," Wozniak wrote in a Facebook post on Sunday. "Apple has more secure ways to share things about yourself. I can still deal with old school email and text messages."

Later in the day, the "Woz" Facebook profile at which the messaged had been posted was no longer accessible and appeared to have been deleted. An effort to contact Wozniak via his cellphone was unsuccessful.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts