Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed aftermarket HID lighting in their cars? After doing this in a friends 2000, there is a lamp malfunction. Ive concluded that its reading off a volt sensor which is obviously sensing less power consumption of the HID system, and im wondering if there are any remdies for it? Where would resistors be installed to simulate the load of the 55W headlamp? Appreciate all help.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Yes, resistors can be used to fool the lamp out sensors. I don't know what resistors are ...

Yes, resistors can be used to fool the lamp out sensors. I don't know what resistors are needed. If factory xenons were an option on this car, the dealer should be able to use the DAS computer to set xenon to "present" in the appropriate menu.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Check eBay - there is a gizmo for reprogramming the system to accept this new voltage. If...

Check eBay - there is a gizmo for reprogramming the system to accept this new voltage. If willing the dealer should be able to do it also.

Can't remember the auction ID, I ran across it looking for something else.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
load equalizer

after doing a search on google for "OHM LOAD EQUALIZER" I found a product that is used in LED lightbulb swaps to add a load to the circut since the LED has a lower voltage, Im not sure if 6 OHMs would be enough to trick the headlamp warning sensor to think the OEM 55W bulb is still there, but i do have multiple emails out to investigate. I will post any feedback that i get.

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ebay

What were youo searching for when you came across this "gizmo"? Any clues to narrow the search would be helpful

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
I was searching G500 or COMAND - which doesn't bring it up anymore. I have seen the dev...

I was searching G500 or COMAND - which doesn't bring it up anymore. I have seen the device a few different times the last month or so. I'll go through some of my searches on completed items and see if I can find it again. Your dealer should be able to do this with the Star Diagnosis system.

·
Registered
E320, E500, S500
10 Posts
Re: I was searching G500 or COMAND - which doesn't bring it up anymore. I have seen the dev

I was searching G500 or COMAND - which doesn't bring it up anymore. I have seen the device a few different times the last month or so. I'll go through some of my searches on completed items and see if I can find it again. Your dealer should be able to do this with the Star Diagnosis system.

what relation betwn 'comand G500' and load EQ ?? same problem here I just install philips xenon kit to my 2003 E320 with halogen, the xenon is lit but keep blinking and turn on and off. I brought to dealer to have xenon enable but they said to check out the wiring and bring it back which I believe the wiring is all correct, it just the computer shut off anything beside 55watt. the same thing happend when I install xenon kit to high beam and fog lights.
any suggestions please???

·
Registered
E320, E500, S500
10 Posts
AFTERMARKET XENON KIT ON 2003 AND UP BENZ

[:D][:D][:D]
AFTER calculating with ohm law and doing research with resistor for a week, I finally make the system read as 55watt with no malfunction at all!! now I have 3 xenon low beam high beam and fog lights with no problem at all.

c ya

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: AFTERMARKET XENON KIT ON 2003 AND UP BENZ

[:D][:D][:D]
AFTER calculating with ohm law and doing research with resistor for a week, I finally make the system read as 55watt with no malfunction at all!! now I have 3 xenon low beam high beam and fog lights with no problem at all.

c ya
How are you dealing with the heat that must be dissippated? That's 20 watts on each line!

-s-

·
Registered
E320, E500, S500
10 Posts
big fat heatsink

I put heatsink total 6 of those, so far no problem, the resistor only feel 'warm' after driving for 3 hours instead of 'overheated'.

BTW seems like u have better idea want let us know?? [:D][:D]

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: big fat heatsink

I put heatsink total 6 of those, so far no problem, the resistor only feel 'warn' after driving for 3 hours instead of 'overheated'.

BTW seems like u have better idea want let us know?? [:D][:D]
Sorry no idea... I don't like the idea of HID high and fog bulbs in housings not designed for them!

-s-

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uh oh

[V]

After installing, having problems, and then fixing the HIDs in my buddies CLK, the dealer told him that they are seeing quite a few cars coming back in for yellowing headlights. Apparently, the HID lights put out so much UV light that they are quickly yellowing the inside of the outer lens, anyone heard of this? Im told that there is some type of UV shield on stock HID lights

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: uh oh

[V]

After installing, having problems, and then fixing the HIDs in my buddies CLK, the dealer told him that they are seeing quite a few cars coming back in for yellowing headlights. Apparently, the HID lights put out so much UV light that they are quickly yellowing the inside of the outer lens, anyone heard of this? Im told that there is some type of UV shield on stock HID lights
I can tell you with certainty... the stock HID lights do have an anti-scratch/anti-glare/anti-UV coating that's pretty hard. It protects the polycarbonate. Polycarbonate, while very impact resistant, is still subject the scratching and yellowing.

-s-

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting

Hmmm Interesting, I was told its actually on the inside of the light since the lens is exposed to such a high level of UV sittine a mere 4" away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts