Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several weeks of reading different fault codes on my '95 E320, I replaced the engine wiring harness last week. Now I'm getting a code 6: idle speed control inoperative. Is this a single module that can be replaced, or is it a combination of things? The car has been idling erratically, starting at about 500 rpm's when first started, and gradually working up to 1,000 to 1,100 after warming up.

Also, the car has gotten to where it will never start with the key. I turn the key to start, and the dash lights come on, but nothing happens. If I leave the key in the run position, and then manually jump the starter using the plug next to the fuse box under the hood, the starter engages and the car fires right up. When this first started happening, sometimes moving the shift lever into neutral would allow the car to start, but now nothing works. I've been told that since it won't even start in neutral, that the neutral safety switch isn't the issue, but that it could be the electronic portion of the ignition switch. I bought a replacement part last week, and as soon as I figure out how to get to it, I'll replace it and see what happens.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice into these issues!

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Just curious, what type of scan tool are you using to retrieve codes? Perhaps you should consider replacing the key/ignition cylinder itself. When these fail they do give the exact symptoms you describe. You will need special MBZ tool for proper removal (inexpensive).

Good luck mate

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
When mine did that! turn key and nobody home turned out to be a fuse! Check them all thourghly!!![;)][;)][;)][;)]

Smokie

·
Registered
'95 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Redwood,

I read the code using the little button and LED thing under the hood next to the battery. I have already bought a replacement for the electronic portion of the ignition switch, and plan on trying to replace it this weekend.

Smokie,

After reading a previous post of yours on the subject I replaced every fuse in the fuse box, but the problem persists.

Thanks!

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts