Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My father passed away quite suddenly last month and left me his 2006 S430. I had bought him the car for his birthday two years ago. The car has 11K miles and right now sits at home. It's difficult to even look at it, as I had plans of buying him a new one in a few years.

Driving a Mercedes S Class was his lifetime dream, something he aspired to even as he grew up in the villages of India. It would be hard to just sell it, but I am not sure what to do with it. That car was our first Mercedes Benz and the fulfillment of a lifetime promise from me. I had always promised him as a kid that I would buy him a Mercedes.

I fire it up on Saturdays and take it for a 25 mile drive. But I don't think 100 miles a month is enough exercise for a S Class.

What do you think I should do? If I keep it, what things do I need to do to keep it in top shape?

Attached pic was taken on the day of delivery, March 20th, 2006.

Thanks
Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad. Keep the car, follow regular maintenence schedule. If it sits in a garage and you drive it 25-30 miles a week should keep running good. Make sure get it on the freeway after it has warmed up and full throttle every once in a while.

Great that you could afford you dad such luxuries!!!

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
If it makes you depressed to look at it or drive it, then sell it. If you can afford to take on two Mercedes then keep it and alternate driving it with your E350. Make sure to keep both cars Garaged and maintained.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions.

He wanted me to keep the car, and money is not an issue. I just wanted to see what the board thought as all of you understand the Mercedes Mystique and the sentiments behind these cars.

He always wanted that particular S Class. Even after his chemo treatments he would ask me to drive him to the Mercedes dealer so he could look at it. He tried to buy one but he couldn't afford it because he was paying for my Grad school at that time.

I decided then and there once I graduated and got a job I was going to save every penny and buy him that car. It ended up being his 60th birthday present.

As sick as he was, in his last day he drove himself in his own car to the hospital. It was a sad day when I had to bring it home without him.

I did drive it alot as I took him to all of his appointments. It is a pleasure and joy to drive. My E350's lease is up next year so I will have the option of getting a less expensive car for the nasty New England weathers. There is no point taking this car to crowded malls and what not where it will get damaged.

Thanks for your responses,
Sam

·
Registered
88 Posts
You dad must have been really proud of you!
You did well buddy!

I wish I could the same for my dad!

The car is relatively new (under warranty) and if you said $ is no issue.
Then I vote "Keep the S-class!"
It's a great car and also a priceless keepsake/remembrance!

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear the loss of your father. I remember reading your post two years ago about when you got the S430. You know full well the service history of the car and how it's been running. If there's nothing that would worry you I'd keep it and maintain it regularly. Remember it's not the material things that count, but the memories of him that you will keep for the rest of your life, and the memories of him you share with your children. :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You are a fine son, and I'm sure your father was proud of you. I'm very sorry for your loss, but I'm glad that you had the opportunity to make this fine gesture of love for your father. If the pain doesn't outweigh the legacy, you have a fine automobile that represents more than just a car to you. I'd consider keeping it for a while anyway.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Your father must have been so Proud of you! Take your time the S will survive until your ready to move on. I have alot of respect for you from this thread.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,861 Posts
With time, it will get better. I currently have a number of things passed on to me by my father some 15 years ago. Many of them I made for him, or he had owned them and I had refinished or repaired them for him - things such as high-quality sailing ship models, antique clocks, and the like. Some were items he had inherited from his parents. I have them now, and it gives me great pleasure to be reminded how happy Dad was when he received the items (or received the back from me, working again). One of them is an expensive clock that sits about 2 feet in front of me as I write this.

Yes, I miss Dad - and for a time, the items reminded me of the loss. Now, they simply remind me of him. That's much better.

Keep the car, and take care of it the way your father would have. Know that you brought him a great deal of pleasure (and pride in you), and the acts you described show you that.

Thanks for your post.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad...

You did great thing by getting him the car of his dreams..

I strongly feel that he would want you to keep the car and enjoy it
as much as he did. In his remembrance.

As it seems that this car is symbolc to a tale of unselfish love between a father
and a son, I am truly touched by you situation, and would be even more awwwed
by the fact that you elected to keep the vehicle for exactly that reason and what this car represents...

·
Registered
676 Posts
shit man thats a bad feeling... i am 17 and i know my dad's degenerating... wow. i just wish i was as strong as you.

keep the car.... my dad's cars smell like him. I dont think i'd want to ever get rid of it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to Everyone

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your responses. I took his S Class out today, I filled the tank up and just drove and drove for what seemed like forever. That car rides like a dream. I had the stereo blaring with his favorite CD, the same CD that played when he drove himself to the hospital for the last time. It was a bittersweet ride to take, but I had to drive it to keep the battery charged.

My mother is steadfast against selling that car, ever. It was more than just a car to them, it was a dream. My mother never took notice of my father's cars.

When he brought home his brand new LS430 in 2004 she looked at it and said, "That's nice.." And then she paused for a minute.."Dear, when are you going to get a Mercedes?"

My Dad having just spent a bundle on that LS 430 cursed and said, "HEY! I brought you a new car didn't I?" When my dad brought home our S Class she ran outside to greet it, the kind of greeting you would give your child. To this day she will wash that S Class if it's even the slightest bit dirty and she never has washed any car we've had.

It was funny how much my dad loved the S Class. Even though he had a LS400/430 since 1995 every time he'd see a S Class he'd turn his head and look.

When we were in the showroom in 2005 to try and buy one I said, "Dad why are you wasting your time? You have a Lexus"

He commented to me with this awe struck look in his face, "Son It's a Mercedes-Benz..It's a Mercedes-Benz"

Then and there, I began to realize the passion that this brand instills in it's owners. A Mercedes isn't just a car, it's a dream, something that is aspired to.

Reading your posts, you've all inspired me. I know people pass on their cars to next generations and I hope this Mercedes Benz, the culmination of my father's lifelong dream, will be a symbol to future generations of the importance of family and the importance of working hard. Dreams can be made reality with hard work, and I hope having heard the stories of what it took to buy this car, they too will go on to reach further heights.

Thank you all so much!
Sam

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hope someone from Mercedes read into post like this, and include it into documentation of the brand legacy.

Your story is very touchy & emotional. I would keep the car, that way, you would have your dad forever be your ride mate, and I mean it in a sincere way

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your responses. I took his S Class out today, I filled the tank up and just drove and drove for what seemed like forever. That car rides like a dream. I had the stereo blaring with his favorite CD, the same CD that played when he drove himself to the hospital for the last time. It was a bittersweet ride to take, but I had to drive it to keep the battery charged.

My mother is steadfast against selling that car, ever. It was more than just a car to them, it was a dream. My mother never took notice of my father's cars.

When he brought home his brand new LS430 in 2004 she looked at it and said, "That's nice.." And then she paused for a minute.."Dear, when are you going to get a Mercedes?"

My Dad having just spent a bundle on that LS 430 cursed and said, "HEY! I brought you a new car didn't I?" When my dad brought home our S Class she ran outside to greet it, the kind of greeting you would give your child. To this day she will wash that S Class if it's even the slightest bit dirty and she never has washed any car we've had.

It was funny how much my dad loved the S Class. Even though he had a LS400/430 since 1995 every time he'd see a S Class he'd turn his head and look.

When we were in the showroom in 2005 to try and buy one I said, "Dad why are you wasting your time? You have a Lexus"

He commented to me with this awe struck look in his face, "Son It's a Mercedes-Benz..It's a Mercedes-Benz"

Then and there, I began to realize the passion that this brand instills in it's owners. A Mercedes isn't just a car, it's a dream, something that is aspired to.

Reading your posts, you've all inspired me. I know people pass on their cars to next generations and I hope this Mercedes Benz, the culmination of my father's lifelong dream, will be a symbol to future generations of the importance of family and the importance of working hard. Dreams can be made reality with hard work, and I hope having heard the stories of what it took to buy this car, they too will go on to reach further heights.

Thank you all so much!
Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts