Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So having spent a great night and next morning at Diggerland I present the worlds fastest backhoe.

I dig the aero bucket mod and the flame throwers to give it that crazy top fuel looks.

This is the first time I’ve ever seen a turbo 400 look like a small transmission at least I think it’s a 400, it’s been so long since I was into drag bits it might be a power glide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Kero ! Mmmmm, do they go better on Kero ? I know diesels are capable of running kero, but I have not done so myself.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
If they are getting 745 HP out of a blown Big Block Chevy, I can't imagine it would be using Kerosene for fuel. It has twin Holleys, so nothing like diesel injectors and the matching compression ratio..

I looked it up on a few websites, and they tout the horsepower, the top speed on the Drag Strip, and so on, but they don't make a peep regarding the fuel.

Logically, they are not running a blown big block on Kerosene. The photos of it in action show a nice, smokey exhaust trail. I suspect that they inject a bit of kerosene into the Zoomies, outside of the heads, for showmanship and some Diesel-like stink, while the gas-powered Chevy provides the go..

And, as ACAD mentioned, it also shows the 'Flamethrower' rig on the exhaust Zoomies, with a spark plug at the end of each pipe, for more exhibition shenanigans.

In the film biz, the trick to make a good running car look like a clapped-out beater, is to drill a hole in the middle of the exhaust manifold and then either tap into the engine's oil supply, or install a separate gravity-fed system to drip oil into the exhaust system. A valve on the feed line allows for dialing in the amount of smoke, and the engine is unaffected, since it it all outside of the workings.

The Rumor is that Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, etc. never even notice the little square head plug in the exhaust manifold when the car is turned in. Mist in a little water from a spritzer, and the plug rusts in with the manifold, looking to be the same vintage as the rest of it all....

So I have been told.

The JCB was built in house from the ground up to be an Exhibition dragster. The frame is purpose built to resemble a backhoe, but there is nothing backhoe about it. The hoe booms and the loader structure are fabled out of Aluminum. It has traveled to South Africa, The F1 race in Australia, The UK, and so on. It was then donated to DIGGERLAND by JCB

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can neither confirm nor deny the installation of a small copper drip line into any exhaust systems to feed a regulated amount of atf for the purposes of simulating beaterness. Likewise we cannot confirm not deny the use of a custom duplex solid state ignition to create a rolling miss nor did we now or ever liberally coat the engine in gear oil to attract and adhere dirt for the purposes of hustling street races. It would also be highly unethical to simulate a leaky atf pan and rumors about any body panels sprayed with acid to accelerate degradation are just that, fake news rumors.

Let me be clear, we were not I repeat NOT racing for money on public roads in the wee hours of the morning and anything to the contrary is a damned dirty lie.

Side note, a rear washer can be used to very discretely spray traction compound on dot slicks, is specially when the take is in the spare tire well.

So this backhoe is not really a backhoe, more like a funnyhoe? I dig that they hauled ass of those big AG tires. The kero is almost certainly for the flames, make is super duper impressive and take the edge off the 110mph trap speed. They recently did a similar game with a fastrac

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjmpLbolLfjAhWvct8KHR65CicQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/23/guy-martin-jcb-tractor-speed-record-103-mph/&psig=AOvVaw2CPapochRfDf6EEUpKMMkX&ust=1563288284766046

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
tkv000
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing