Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C200 Kompressor Sports Coupe
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a decision that I'm sure I will regret for the rest of my life, I have sold the 280CE. Be rest assured, it went to a very good home and it will be maintained and pampered to the level that it has become accustomed to.

Now I am W123-less, and there is an empty feeling that lurks within me. Is there a support group I can sign up to? Sigh...

Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone for their input on this forum. It helped me enormously and I'm sure I got much better 'value' out of my nice old coupe.

What a great bloody car!

All the best, you might see me on the W126 pages before too long if all goes to plan...

Jez

PS One last photo
PPS For those who are interested, I got AUD$5500 for it (USD$4,4580).

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
Zedd said:
Now you can go find a good Diesel. ;)
Good, and diesel, don't mix

Sucks to hear about the Coupe gone Jez, Oh well, if its a 126, please get a 560 :)

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
79-300SD said:
Not many gassers make it over 500,000 miles without a total rebuild at least once. Many diesels may not be the fastest, are you trying to win a sprint or a marathon?
There's no fun in driving slow cars;)

Not all diesels make it to 500,000 miles either. Any engine that is properly maintained can get 500,000 miles if not more.

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,667 Posts
Hey Jez,

How much for the tri-fin surfboard in the garage? Is it about a 6 1 ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nutz - It's a "mini-mal" that belongs to my bro-in-law (who has just started surfing at the age of 38), and I think its a touch under 6ft. Make him an offer!! You dabbling in the dark art of surfing in Hawai'i are you? Mate, carve one out of the hardest wood you can find and go old school.

Reason for selling the coupe? Let's just say my wife was sick of only 2 doors. I hope she'll appreciate the gentle throb of a 420SE or SEL when the right one is available...

·
Registered
1981 300D
646 Posts
If your going to get a w126 make sure you get that timing chain replaced, esp if its a 380 500 or 560.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
ScrazySean said:
If your going to get a w126 make sure you get that timing chain replaced, esp if its a 380 500 or 560.
Yep, but more importantly than the chain.. you get the chain tensioners replaced. They're the reason why the chain may snap and cause cata$$$$trophic engine damage. Should be done around 100k miles, however, if no service records are found.. it may be a good idea to have them done for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Snibble said:
There's no fun in driving slow cars;)

Not all diesels make it to 500,000 miles either. Any engine that is properly maintained can get 500,000 miles if not more.
Far more diesel make it there without the head coming off than do gassers. By a large margin.

And use a lot less fuel getting there as well. A tweaked diesel can be fairly swift as well. While I would not consdifer either of my Benz's as being fast. They are far from being slow.

Fast is my Honda, thanks to favorible Power/weight ratio of 200hp / 2,100 lbs, about 150 mpg top end (no I haven't been near that either). Thats my benchmark for fast.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Jez280CE said:
Reason for selling the coupe? Let's just say my wife was sick of only 2 doors. I hope she'll appreciate the gentle throb of a 420SE or SEL when the right one is available...
Get a 280E

·
Super Moderator
89 Mercedes 300E, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,667 Posts
79-300SD said:
Fast is my Honda, thanks to favorible Power/weight ratio of 200hp / 2,100 lbs, about 150 mpg top end (no I haven't been near that either). Thats my benchmark for fast.
ROFL ! I know you aren't bragging about that POS Honda with the cheap headers and generic strut tower braces :rolleyes:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well aware of W126 timing chain issues and the need to replace the guides (made of plastic are they???) Thanks guys. It would be the first thing I get looked at! I've seen photos of the damage it can cause...
Also, 126's are prone to rust out under the parcel shelf, around the rear window... I always climb into the boot to check it all out when looking at cars for sale.
I'm sure I'll grab another W123 at some point down the track. It was such a good all round car. Right now I NEED a merc V8. Can't help it...

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
79-300SD said:
Far more diesel make it there without the head coming off than do gassers. By a large margin.

And use a lot less fuel getting there as well. A tweaked diesel can be fairly swift as well. While I would not consdifer either of my Benz's as being fast. They are far from being slow.

Doesn't matter if its a gasser or diesel... at high mileage, you'll need to have the engine refreshened. Maybe the diesel gets better mileage per gallon of fuel, but diesel costs much more than premium fuel. Also, for those outside the US... LPG conversions are popular on gassers and costs half of what gasoline costs, and offers more power than what a diesel W123 can offer.

Please don't make mention of that suped-up tin can toaster of yours. If I wanted to be in a fast car, I'd make sure its also safe... thats just me, though. I'd take an Audi or Porsche over a "too fast too furious" Honda anytime.

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
Snibble said:
Please don't make mention of that suped-up tin can toaster of yours. If I wanted to be in a fast car, I'd make sure its also safe... thats just me, though. I'd take an Audi or Porsche over a "too fast too furious" Honda anytime.
Your 560SEL sounds better than all of those.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Nutz 4 Benz said:
ROFL ! I know you aren't bragging about that POS Honda with the cheap headers and generic strut tower braces :rolleyes:

That....QUOTE" POOS Honda will outrun anything you own.....so before you start knocking down on someones ride...you better be sure You have something that can beat it.

Its a driver....not a trailer queen or a show car. As much as I like Benz you aren't going to get a Benz to beat it a over 4 times the cost. Sorry but thats the facts weather you like them or not.

If you think you can then you are sadly deluded. You won't out accelerate or out corner it.

It will outperform anything Benz builds thats less than 6 digits in price. AND I have less than $6,000 invested in it.

And funny how you can judge quality of a car you have never seen. Fact is you are hardly qualified to make comments to that effect.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Snibble said:
Doesn't matter if its a gasser or diesel... at high mileage, you'll need to have the engine refreshened. Maybe the diesel gets better mileage per gallon of fuel, but diesel costs much more than premium fuel. Also, for those outside the US... LPG conversions are popular on gassers and costs half of what gasoline costs, and offers more power than what a diesel W123 can offer.

Depends on where you live. Most places diesel isn't higher than Premium, but I agree there are places it is.

I have spent years in Europe, so I do know LPG conversions are popular over there. Diesel is also taxed at a far lower rate making it way cheaper than any grade of gasolene.

And well, you can like it or not. THat honda will outperform MOST of what Benz has built and do so at a price that some people have spent on rims alone. Try and do that to an audi or a porsche with the same amount of total investment. Few people have cubic dollars to spend, and Porsche parts are very spendy.

And as to the "too Fast too furious" comment. Take a long look at that car again. Just what "Bling" do you see there? None, right....Rims are OEM 15" I have no body kit, no fashy aftermarket guages or seats.... Its a low cost sleeper. Its not a "too fast too furious" poser. Big difference there.

As to the high milage comment. Take two engines one disel one gassolene. (assuming both have lived simular lives) At 300,000 miles with neither one having had the head removed the diesel will be in far better shape as far as wear. You will have to look long and hard to find a 500K mile gasser still on original pistons and rings, and while I will completely agree not all diesels will make that point far more have done it. Maintenance and how its driven have a large effect as to longevity.

·
Super Moderator
18,667 Posts
79-300SD said:
That....QUOTE" POOS Honda will outrun anything you own.....so before you start knocking down on someones ride...you better be sure You have something that can beat it.

Its a driver....not a trailer queen or a show car. As much as I like Benz you aren't going to get a Benz to beat it a over 4 times the cost. Sorry but thats the facts weather you like them or not.

If you think you can then you are sadly deluded. You won't out accelerate or out corner it.

It will outperform anything Benz builds thats less than 6 digits in price. AND I have less than $6,000 invested in it.

And funny how you can judge quality of a car you have never seen. Fact is you are hardly qualified to make comments to that effect.
Please,I'd mop the floor with you! Outcorner and outperform me? hahaha,my shark will eat you alive!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts