Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching the various threads and pictures for installs of satellite radio systems and want to report my experience.

I live near Washington DC, so I am about two hours from CRUTCHFIELD in Charlottesville, VA.
I had used them before fo a simpler install and they were great; but I though I might find someone closer to do my satellite install. Unfortunately, the dealer was no help. The local wahoo stero stores were scary. One of them recommended a lighter adapter and an external FM modulator--now THAT would look real nice!

I called Eric Taylor, install manager at Crutchfield and made an appointment. I sent along the websites for some installs to illustrate how and twhat has already been done, and when I arrived they carefully and patiently ASKED me what I would like done.
I wanted the XM Commander unit installed inside the ashtray space; wanted to tie it into the auxiliary setting on COMAND, tie it directly to the same power (and delay) of the COMAND system, and have the antenna installed in the driver side top of hood cowling vents like I have seen here. However, I asked that they try to install the antenna w/o the nylon tie sticking through the "mesh". Additionally, because I was going to lose my lighter receptacle, I asked them to install a flexible corded one in the console (for a phone, etc.)
They spent 6 hours doing it- diasassembling, cutting, wiring, soldering, and reassembly--it is flawless and fantastic.
The one unforeseen fix they had to do after the install was put a line filter between the sat reciever and the aux jack in the glove compartment (very easy) to cut out whirring power noise from the wires behind the console used in the install. All that is seen in the glove compartment is one wire coming through a hole in the top of the compartment and leading to the jack. The rest is hidden behind the glove compartment and the XM receiver is installed aft of the shift lever under the console.
I can now neatly close the ashtray door and the unit is out of sight, I still have a power receptacle, there is NO hint of an outside antenna (and>>>EXCELLENT reception!!!) and I simply cannot believe the sound quality.
I simply push the SYS button, choose AUX and enjoy. I have none of the aforementioned problems with losing settings, bad reception, etc.
(AND-- I feel XM is >much< better than the Sirius system I have in my Grnd Cherokee as far a playlists).
I hope to publish some pictures to show how well it looks.[:D]

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’ve done an almost identical installation myself 6 months ago. The only difference I made was to make a mounting bracket that supports the cradle for my XM MyFi unit. This unit mounts just to the right of the shift lever. In this location I can either make channel selections or mute the unit with one finger while keeping my hand on the shift lever. Although the XM unit is not out of sight, when necessary I can quickly remove it from its cradle and either take it with me or lock it in the glove box. I also needed a “filter� for electrical “noise�. Now if we can only figure a way not to have to reset sound settings on the command unit every time we shut the car off…..

Glenn

·
Registered
180 Posts
Zim, are you saying your command unit will hold bass and treble setting for aux device after you turn the car off? What is the production date of you car if it does? Thanks
Glenn

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, it does. an 03 SL500.
also I have no volume problems as I have seen mentioned elsewhere. This could be because th XM Commander has an adjustment for variable output(not volume)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
zimmersci
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing