Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

fan

893 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  magic
thanks to MTI for the help on previous questions all advice worked. Is there an easy way to get the fan running to make sure it works. I remember in a friend's old toyota carolla you could unhook a wire leading from the thermostat housing I think to the fan and that would turn the fan "on" regardless of temp. does such a trick exist for 85 190e 2.3? My fan seems to be slowly driven by a belt from the get go, but never really seems to come fully on, the temp might be a little high but the coolant is going through the radiator as per grab hose test. shouldn't the fan stay on for a little while after the car is parked? any help would be appreciated in troubleshooting this. Thanks!

CDT
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1996 Stang, 1995Jeep
22 Posts
Yes and no

Which fan dio you mean?? What I did with my aux fan was to just connect 2 wires directly from the battery to the fan power leads. the fan in my 190 D (1985) does not stay on after shutting down the engine. also, the fan has an electric clutch activated by a temperature switch. the main fan will not engage untill the temp reaches 110C. the main fan will then kick in until the temp drops to 100C (thence, it's called a "100/110 switch"). the aux fan should always come on when your AC is on. when yourr engine is ready to overheat (120C), the aux fan will also come on. when I bought my MB, the fan switch was bad so it always overheated while idling. after I replaced the switch, it turned out that mu aux was corroded and was blowing the fuse, even though the fan worked when I tested it. I hope that helps [8D]

· Registered
1985 190E 2.3
37 Posts
Where exactly is the aux fan located? is it the on in front of the radiator? I have on...

Where exactly is the aux fan located? is it the on in front of the radiator? I have one there that just sits there and does nothing. I think I'm having problems with it too. Can any one suggest any diagrams for this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.