Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 420 sel 213,800 replaced water pump and radiator; the timing chain good
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that my fan shroud was broken. During high speed travel the air flow thru the radiator has pushed the lower shroud into the fan belts and has eaten away part of the shroud. I need a part that connects the shroud. There are two holes, one in the top half and one in the bottom half, I don't have any idea what the part that connects them looks like.

See the attached photos

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
Ummmm, that looks like a cob job from someone before, maybe the PO. I just looked at the shroud I took off my car after the accident and it's all one piece. Maybe you can use some zipties to hold it for now.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,621 Posts
I think the shroud is held by clips. For another shroud off a 560/420, I would check the Vegas wrecking yards. The clips shouldn't be much from the dealer.
Scroll down to model 126, 7. + 8.
All this info is in the forum archive. Please visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' announcement / tutorial sticky on top.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like this car was in an accident with some PO. I think this is only going to be a problem at high speed which I usually avoid. I'll check with local junk yards for a replacement fan shroud.
The water pump is making noise like it wants to be replaced so I might as well get ready to replace the shroud then as well as the water pump.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
How do you know the water pump needs replacing? what sorts of symptoms does it exhibit?

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
The fan shroud is very reasonable new (about $35-$45 depending where you get it). Mounting clips are a buck 50 new. The shroud should be one piece like mentioned before. If your water pump is making noise, you should jump on replacing it pretty quick like you mentioned.

If the noise sounds like a bearing, then you are probably right about the pump needing replaced. But if it is a "clicking" or "ticking" it might just be the fan hitting the shroud. Might also be one of the damaged belts if it is a "shrill" noise.

Don't forget to check the dealer for the price of the shroud. This is one of the rare items that is not way overpriced at the dealer.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1989/mercedes/420sel/cooling_system/fan_shroud.html

Good luck,
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you know the water pump needs replacing? what sorts of symptoms does it exhibit?
There's a grinding noise. It's loudest with a big flathead screwdriver on the water pump housing and one end on my ear. The sound is less on the alternator, AC pump, idler, PS pump. I started looking at this end of the engine because there was a high squeal at start-up, just after the starter stops turning. The squeal went away after the engine warmed up. I just took off the air pump drive belt and the squeal has gone away totally.

I'm having trouble finding how to remove the AC belt and the PS pump belt. I just don't have the right metric tools yet and I don't know which bolts to loosen. The Air pump and Alternator were fairly obvious, not so with the others. I'm thinking I need a 17mm closed end and open end wrench combo. I'm not sure what else yet.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
I'm having trouble finding how to remove the AC belt and the PS pump belt. I just don't have the right metric tools yet and I don't know which bolts to loosen. The Air pump and Alternator were fairly obvious, not so with the others. I'm thinking I need a 17mm closed end and open end wrench combo. I'm not sure what else yet.
Here is your file from the manual. Just click the link and the pdf file will display.

Not the clearest pictures but should give you a good idea of the bolts you will need to work on.

gl

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,621 Posts
While you are there, you might as well check the idler arm roller.
Cheers

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to check what an idler arm roller is first. What is it and how do I check it?

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,445 Posts
PM me. I'm in Vegas and have a shroud.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts