Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im working on a family members 500sec and its been sitting for 15 years, we go to start it and the aux fan isn’t spinning, we cut the belts and all the pulleys spin fine but the fan pulley. When we checked the pulleys there was burnt rubber from the belt, whn I go to hand twist the fan pulley it’s rock solid. One of my relays seems bad, could this be the issue?
Asphalt Road surface Rectangle Floor Flooring

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,147 Posts
I'm confused. Are you talking about the electric aux fan or the belt driven mechanical fan? The mechanical fan should be mounted on a fan clutch that would allow you to turn the fan even if the pulley were seized. The pulley drives the water pump, and if it is seized, you need to replace the water pump. Do not try to run the engine for more than a few seconds with a seized water pump.

The (electric) aux fan should not be running with a cold engine and AC off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused. Are you talking about the electric aux fan or the belt driven mechanical fan? The mechanical fan should be mounted on a fan clutch that would allow you to turn the fan even if the pulley were seized. The pulley drives the water pump, and if it is seized, you need to replace the water pump. Do not try to run the engine for more than a few seconds with a seized water pump.

The (electric) aux fan should not be running with a cold engine and AC off.
We took off the belt to the fan, the pulley was turning but the fan wasn’t spinning. I remember one time I jumped an electrical connection and the fan started running, so does it mean the relay is dead?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread Wood

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,147 Posts
The fan driven by the pulley has nothing to do with anything electrical. Your fan clutch is probably bad. It should turn almost freely by hand, but there should be enough "drag" such that it spins when the engine is running.

You said "When we checked the pulleys there was burnt rubber from the belt". This either means the pulley doesn't turn or the belt is too loose and is slipping. (This would also contribute to the fan not turning.) If you can turn the pulley by hand, in both directions, then it's probably fine. Is that the only pulley with burnt rubber on it?

Make sure all the pulleys except the engine crankshaft pulley turn freely, get a new belt, adjust it correctly, and hopefully you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
2,886 Posts
OP, you are talking about three different things here that move. One of them moves at two speed.

To get it out of the way, in front of the radiator and behind the front grill, you have the auxiliary fan. This is the electric fan. It has 2 speeds. It is not a part of this discussion. Since it is not a part of this discussion, the relay you posted has nothing to do with this.

I labelled your picture below. A is your fan blades for the engine fan. B is your viscous fan clutch for the engine fan. C is your pulley for your engine fan.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

Your fan blades (A) attach to your viscous fan clutch (B). The fan blades and viscous fan clutch (A,B) should spin freely as one unit. If they do not, there is a problem with the viscous fan clutch (B). It needs to be replaced.

Your pulley (C), as it is now without a belt, it should spin freely. If it does not spin freely, you have a problem with this pulley. It needs to be replaced.

You may have a problem with both.

So, turn the fan blades (A) and see if it spins. And then turn the pulley (C), and see if it spins.

And, if John makes any corrections to this, listen to John 😉

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP, you are talking about three different things here that move. One of them moves at two speed.

To get it out of the way, in front of the radiator and behind the front grill, you have the auxiliary fan. This is the electric fan. It has 2 speeds. It is not a part of this discussion. Since it is not a part of this discussion, the relay you posted has nothing to do with this.

I labelled your picture below. A is your fan blades for the engine fan. B is your viscous fan clutch for the engine fan. C is your pulley for your engine fan.
View attachment 2711818
Your fan blades (A) attach to your viscous fan clutch (B). The fan blades and viscous fan clutch (A,B) should spin freely as one unit. If they do not, there is a problem with the viscous fan clutch (B). It needs to be replaced.

Your pulley (C), as it is now without a belt, it should spin freely. If it does not spin freely, you have a problem with this pulley. It needs to be replaced.

You may have a problem with both.

So, turn the fan blades (A) and see if it spins. And then turn the pulley (C), and see if it spins.

And, if John makes any corrections to this, listen to John 😉
look at this, New video by Yianni Trakas how do I un-seize that pulley

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,660 Posts
Bugger. But it's not so bad, that's just your power steering pump pully that's stiff. Does it have any fluid in it?

If not, try that first and see what happens and let us know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bugger. But it's not so bad, that's just your power steering pump pully that's stiff. Does it have any fluid in it?

If not, try that first and see what happens and let us know.
Good news, we got it unseized with a pipe wrench, now we’re trying to install new belts and we can’t figure out how to loosen the pulley, we watched a video, no help.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,147 Posts
If "C" in isthenew's post is the thing that is not turning (hard to tell from the video due to the level of video compression) then you need a new water pump. Even if you "got it unseized with a pipe wrench " it still needs to be replaced. The pulley isn't the problem; the water pump bearing is.

(It is apparent to me from the video that the power steering pump is turning. Look at the bolt while the engine is cranking.)

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,147 Posts
we can’t figure out how to loosen the pulley
One of the accessories will have a slotted mounting bracket. Loosen the bolts and move it in the slot to loosen the belts. Adjust them properly before you run the engine. You may want to enlist the help of someone more experienced...

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
2,886 Posts
In your video, the pulley where there is smoke is NOT the pulley in your first picture of this thread.

The pulley with the smoke is your power steering pump. It is as I said in this earlier thread of yours.

The first thing to do with that pulley is to make sure you have the right amount of good power steering fluid. A lack of good, clean fluid could cause the pump, and pulley, to not work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In your video, the pulley where there is smoke is NOT the pulley in your first picture of this thread.

The pulley with the smoke is your power steering pump. It is as I said in this earlier thread of yours.

The first thing to do with that pulley is to make sure you have the right amount of good power steering fluid. A lack of good, clean fluid could cause the pump, and pulley, to not work.

Thanks for all y’all’s help, we got it.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
2,886 Posts
What does “not holding an idle” mean? It stalls? It starts to idle high? Low? It starts to oscillate between high and low rpm?

Idle issues can be simple. Or they may be long and complicated. What have you replaced? Non-ethanol Gasoline? Fuel filter? Air filter? Engine vacuum lines? Any of these may cause your issue. And they’re just a starting point.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 240k miles
2,886 Posts
Oh, and if that relay in your early pictures is a single fuse OVP relay (I’ve never seen one), that could cause idle issues. Everything I’ve ever read says to upgrade to the replacement OVP relay with 2 fuses.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,147 Posts
Which pulley did you break free with the pipe wrench? The one with the fan, or the one in the forefront of the video? The one on the forefront, which is your power steering pump, is clearly turning, and is not seized, in the video. I suspect the smoke is coming off the water pump pulley and following the moving belt to the power steering pump. Recall this thread started with a fan not turning.

Anything you freed up with a pipe wrench is not fixed, and will cause you more trouble, likely sooner rather than later. If the water pump seizes you can launch the fan through the radiator, for starters.

I strongly suggest you get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it before things take a turn for the worse, if only to alleviate the confusion.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts