Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fan clutch

908 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  spanners
Hello all.
I am just about buying my father-in-law's 1992 MB190E 2.3 (8V). It makes a rattle noise that seems to come from the fan. I think it has some kind of clutch. Can someone explain how it is as well as if its has some common problems or the estimated repairing cost?
Any info will be appreciated.

By the way, has someone tried the famous R16 modification to adjust the timing advance? Where is it located in this model?

Thanks
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
The fan is easy to remove, it has a 13mm bolt through the middle.

Remove it and run the enigine with it off and see if the rattle has gone.

· Registered
190e 1.8 Manual 91
8 Posts
A common rattle is from the tensioner shock absorber. Its a small shock absorber that k...

A common rattle is from the tensioner shock absorber. Its a small shock absorber that keeps the rubber belt from rattling.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advices.
One more clue: If I stop the engine and move the fan with my h...

Thanks for your advices.
One more clue: If I stop the engine and move the fan with my hand, no noise is produced.
I am starting to think that it doesn't come from the fan but from the distributor, that is very near to it. However, the car runs well and it hasn't been touched.

What are your impressions?

Thanks!

1,150 Posts
Re: Rattle

As Duncan suggests it is more likely to be the auxilary drive belt tentioner shock absorber. This is a common fault where the distributor is not.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, seems to make sense.
Is that tensioner easy to change with standard tools at home? Ho...

OK, seems to make sense.
Is that tensioner easy to change with standard tools at home? How?
Thanks!

1,150 Posts
Re: Tensioner damper replacement

Unless my memory serves me wrong, it has a one bolt at either end and that's it. It runs from the base of the tensioner to a bracket near the crank shaft pulley.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!
So, if I have understood, the belt tensioner comprises two pieces, the tensioner ...

Thanks!
So, if I have understood, the belt tensioner comprises two pieces, the tensioner itself and the shock absorber, am I right?
What's the part that most often fails? Can it be bought separately?

How can I test if my belt is not tensioned enough?

Best regards

1,150 Posts
Re: Tensioner

It will be the shock absorber that is faulty not the tensioner. To confirm it get someone to rev the engine whilst you watch the tensioner. If the shock absorber is weak, you will see the tensioner pulley vibrate as the engine accelerates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.