Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1998 ml-320 stock,oem bug deflector, nerf bars, leather gray upholstery, delivery date 25 nov 97
Discussion Starter #1
I have found several videos and write ups for the removal of the fan clutch
But I need to find out how you get a torque wrench down inside the limited space
to torque the fan clutch to the 45 n/m ?

And what model torque wrench to use ?

Thanks

C N B

W163 and General M Gremlin
But I need to find out how you get a torque wrench down inside the limited space

Thanks

C N B
I've done a few of these. I've always tightened to a snug fit. Never used a torque wrench.

As Witek said a few years ago, paraphrasing....
Fan & clutch have inertia so they resist torque. The clutch has right hand thread.
Water pump spins ccw & keeps it from loosening up.

Reactions: mattml430

Registered
1998 ml-320 stock,oem bug deflector, nerf bars, leather gray upholstery, delivery date 25 nov 97
Discussion Starter #3
Khomer2
Thanks for the info

C N B

Registered

Thanks

C N B
I changed my fan clutch a few years ago and made my own spanner to fit it. (wasn't cost effective as I wrecked a 拢25 bimetal bandsaw blade in the process!) I didn't use a torque wrench - I used a torque wrench to estimate the force in a vice and then just tightened it up accordingly. It has been fine. I even ran the car without a fan in place over one winter and it had much greater acceleration and fuel economy, but I thought I had better put it back on for summer...

Registered
2001 ML430
After seeing a marked improvement my RV when I replaced my engine driven fan with electric, I have always desired doing the same on the ML. My 430 is quite thirsty, and any improvement would be welcome. I wonder if anyone has done it???

After seeing a marked improvement my RV when I replaced my engine driven fan with electric, I have always desired doing the same on the ML. My 430 is quite thirsty, and any improvement would be welcome. I wonder if anyone has done it???
A one year old discussion thread

Registered
2001 ML430
Khomer2, I read those threads. Lots of discussion, but I could not find anyone who said "I did it, this is the results..." Lots of discussions on the pitfalls, what you could use, why to do it, why not to do it and general discussion, but no one who actually did it with results.

Khomer2, I read those threads. Lots of discussion, but I could not find anyone who said "I did it, this is the results..." Lots of discussions on the pitfalls, what you could use, why to do it, why not to do it and general discussion, but no one who actually did it with results.
Yes, only that.
I havent come across anyone/member to-date who has attempted this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts