Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 E320 I belive has the fan clutch stuck. The fan clutch is engaged all the time, from the second car is started. I can here the fan all the time because it sounds like a plane. So I am plaing on changing my fan clutch because I think that is the problem. I am not 100% sure though!!!

-Do you think the fan clutch is the problem?
-If so, I can't figure out how to remove it. I found a DIY for the fan clutch and they show a hex bolt in the middle of the clutch. Mine doesn't have that hex bolt on the front, but only the bolt on the back. How do I remove that?

Any help is appreciated. Sorry, for my English.

Attachments

·
Registered
W209 320 2004 W906 Sprinter 313 CDI 2013
59 Posts
Mine did that after a 700 mile trip it sounded like the transmission howling but did remedy itself after a few days , cant help with the allen bolt question good luck

·
Registered
'98 E430
236 Posts
It takes a special set of tools to remove the fan clutch assembly. They are available on the net at various sites. Autohauz carries them. I suggest you buy good ones as you will find that the hex nut is difficult to remove from the belt pulley assembly. In my attempts I ended up damaging the hex nut. (I bought the cheaper set). OBTW it does sound like your fan clutch is stuck as it will not normally move a lot of air when the engine is cold. Couldn't you just whack it a good one to see if you can unstick it before attempting to replace it?

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the fan clutch on ebay for $67 shipped and it is new. That wasn't that bad. Almost one full fuel tank. But now I am trying to maybe rent the tool from any store, haven't found one yet. I think some Ford cars use the similar tools so maybe I will get lucky.

Thank you all for your replies.

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still

My fan clutch cam in today.
So I stopped at this guy who mainly does BMW and he took of the fan clutch for me for $15. Then I drove the car home where I was going to install the new clutch.

So from the shop to my home I drove the car without the fan.
Let me say, what a difference, I could only hear the muffler and nothing else. The engine was so quiet. My muffler is good by the way.

Came home installed the new clutch. Spins freely when the car is shut off, but also as soon as you start the car fan starts to spin quiet fast even when the engine is cold. I know it will somewhat spin from inertia, but that fan spins almost like me old fan which actually was stuck.
After all my new clutch is better I guess than my old one, but I still think there is something wrong.

After talking to a friend I was told that unless the fan clutch is not original from MB than it would make that loud /windy noise.

Any one has any suggestions?

I am thinking maybe installing an electric fan on this thing.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
My 99 model had single electric fan and even parking it at 120F desert and AC at full blast I never have heard it at full speed.
Than years ago, driving Italian design Fiat in 4-seasons Poland I had electric clutch on it. At one service I noticed that the brush was wear out, what made me wondering how long I've been driving without the fan. So in conclusion I removed the blades completely and drove thru max 90F summer without a problem. My friend who on his older Fiat had constant problem with water from the puddles flooding ignition coil couldn't be happier to hear that. After removing the blade he never had wet coil again.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
hilarushi said:
My fan clutch cam in today.
So I stopped at this guy who mainly does BMW and he took of the fan clutch for me for $15. Then I drove the car home where I was going to install the new clutch.
How very clever of you! Excellent idea so long as it's close and you don't get stuck in traffic.:thumbsup:

hilarushi said:
Came home installed the new clutch. Spins freely when the car is shut off, but also as soon as you start the car fan starts to spin quiet fast even when the engine is cold. I know it will somewhat spin from inertia, but that fan spins almost like me old fan which actually was stuck.
After all my new clutch is better I guess than my old one, but I still think there is something wrong.

After talking to a friend I was told that unless the fan clutch is not original from MB than it would make that loud /windy noise.

Any one has any suggestions?

I am thinking maybe installing an electric fan on this thing.
Personally I would never buy anything meaningful for any car from Ebay. There are lots of "replica" items on there so there is no way to know what you are getting. That said, your new fan clutch sounds like it is working properly. These things are pretty basic and are fluid-filled (their basic function is roughly analogous to a torque converter) so when they're turned by the fan belt, they will always spin the fan some. If it's quiet when it wasn't before, that's a very good sign. :)

I'd recommend that you check it a few times in the next few weeks (mostly for play), but you're probably okay. Changing over to an electric fan creates a few problems, not the least of which is coordinating it's action with the coolant temperature and ensuring it comes on with the AC compressor.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,468 Posts
Well, an electric fan can be fitted. I've done this many years ago on a different make of car before electrical fans became common. Gave me about 3 miles/gallon extra in place of the solid coupled fan You basically just needs to fit a sensor which will send a signal to a relay to switch on the fan. In earlier years this was easier since the radiators were metal and you could fit have a hole cut in the lower tank and fit sensor. I ended up using a sensor from a VW Golf. At one stage you could also get a sensor which could be fitted into the radiator hose. Depending on space, you can either use a pusher fan (in front of the radiator) or a puller fan (behind the radiator).
But I think the Merc already have a sensor to turn on the auxiliary fans. Maybe you can piggy-back on to that sensor. But you must use a relay to cut down on the power draw.

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Electric fan

Thank you all for your replies.

One of my friends has a 1995 c class and his fan fell out because of some damage on the front. He has over 200k miles now and has been driving the car without the fan. His car still runs good, hasnt burned yet.

Even some may disagree, if we were in the winter season I would just take of the main fan, here in Utah gets really cold plus there isn't much traffic.

I think even though the fan can move freely when car is cold there is two much resistance on the fan clutch itself that the fan starts to move with the engine two quick. Since this is a new aftermarket clutch, I will leave it in for a while and see if it loosens a little bit, hopefully.
Other wise I may see what electric fan I can adjust.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
EBay is not a credible source for MB parts. As you have experienced many are defective, bogus or just failed parts that have been cleaned up. Throw yours away, use the correct part obtained from a dealer or a Mercedes parts source on line. Anything else will be a band aid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts