Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan clutch is stuck in my 450SLC. I tried to spin the blade when the engine is cold and it won't spin freely at all.

The Good: engine temp. seldom go over 85C in any driving condition.

The Bad:
- It's noise at any speed. At 90mph, the engine sounds like a turbine. At speed over 90mph, I start to hear belt noise.
- Engine take slightly longer to warm up.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,492 Posts
The fan clutch is stuck in my 450SLC. I tried to spin the blade when the engine is cold and it won't spin freely at all.

The Good: engine temp. seldom go over 85C in any driving condition.

The Bad:
- It's noise at any speed. At 90mph, the engine sounds like a turbine. At speed over 90mph, I start to hear belt noise.
- Engine take slightly longer to warm up.
Was that a serious question or are you just thinking out loud?

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
What they're trying to tell you is that the clutch should NOT spin freely when the engine is off; rather, it should move somewhat stiffly.

Chief

·
Registered
1976 450 SL
1,210 Posts
My fan was seized when I 1st started driving the car ,sounded like a jet taking off when accelerating.
Then one day I realized it stop doing that, not sure when. I guess it was from not being used.

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe my fan clutch is totally stuck. IF I spin it by hand (engine cold or hot), it only moves about 1 inches. Normally, it should spin 1-2 cycle. Anyway, I take the answers as "bad". Even though the stuck fan always keep the engine at 80C, it's too noisy. I am going to repair/replace the fan clutch soon.

Thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,492 Posts
I believe my fan clutch is totally stuck. IF I spin it by hand (engine cold or hot), it only moves about 1 inches. Normally, it should spin 1-2 cycle. Anyway, I take the answers as "bad". Even though the stuck fan always keep the engine at 80C, it's too noisy. I am going to repair/replace the fan clutch soon.

Thanks.
You are probably losing a few horses as well.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
The thing on my car doesn't spin that much and I replace the thing for 140$. I think mileage would suffer in addition to power as nobby pointed out. Wish I could just put a electrical fan on the car with a thermostat, but it'd probably kill the electrical system or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts