Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 MB E420 Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the special wrenches for removing the fan clutch on my E420 and despite my normal success rate of breaking fasteners off I can't get the darn thing to budge. What is the secret? Is it left hand thread (loosens clockwise instead of counterclock)? I'd rather not break anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,709 Posts
Yeah.... the fun clutch... What type you have?
I have one on my diesel, that has single allen head bolt in the center. That thing would not break loose even I had blades and shrouds removed.
After breaking 2 supporting wrenches I went the hard route of removing the pump (what was primary problem) with clutch attached, what alone took me over 2 hr. Than having the pump with clutch attached on the floor, I put big wrenches on it to estimate 100 ft-lb to loosen the bolt. It turned with fingers after.

·
Registered
1997 MB E420 Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the one with the big 36mm nut/shaft coming out of the pulley to the fan, which requires a special tool to hold three of the heads of the pulley nuts while wrenching on the 36mm nut. I bought the tools but can't get the thing to budge, which makes me wonder if it's left hand thread. All the write ups I've seen say nothing....

·
Registered
1997 MB E420 Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just answered my own question...it's right hand thread like a normal nut.

I could not get it to budge holding both tools and fighting essentially against myself. So I tried something else. Managed to get the holder tool in place on the pulley nuts and then put the arm of that tool against the alternator pulley (since changing the alternator was my goal I did not care if I messed up the pulley). Put about a two foot length of pipe on the 36mm special wrench and gave it a big tug - popped the nut loose. Now it moves with my fingers.:)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,709 Posts
I had the same type of clutch nut on my Ford truck (just about 3 times bigger than MB). After spending some quality time with strap wrenches, different holding methods and cursing a lot - I went on youtube and found a video showing how using air chisel on the corner of the nut makes it going loose.
Took than 3 seconds... and it was $15 air chisel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts