Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What can I expect to pay for a fan clutch for my SEC? I'm getting prices on the net for $207 USD. seems a bit on the high side to me. seems mine wont engage and the fan is turning way too slow. wouldnt even have noticed it until i had to jump someone's car this morning. or maybe if anyone has one lieing around they want to sell me for a fair price, i'd consider it. Funds are a bit tight right now after buying the 2005 E320.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
That's actually not bad. I paid $310 when I bought one from Jono recently for my SEL. Yes, it does sound high I know, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's actually not bad. I paid $310 when I bought one from Jono recently for my SEL. Yes, it does sound high I know, but it is what it is.
k thanks. I figured I'd check before purchasing.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
I have been warned about what brand to buy though. I had a friend who bought a certain brand (can't remember which one right now) and installed it and it was junk, had to switch to another, I think Sachs? Jonathan would know, he sold me the same one.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I took a hint from another automotive forum and refilled my clutch. Some manufacturers have servicing ports, or ways to open them up to refill the fluid. (I bought an extra one at a junkyard for $5 to experiment with to test my theory).

I went to a local hobby store and bought a couple of bottles of 6000 C.S.T. radio controlled car differential oil (which is pure silicone oil like that in our fan clutch). The hobby store guy called it OFNA fluid- I don't know what that stands for, but that's what you need. You can also buy fan clutch silicone refills at Toyota dealerships, but it will cost ~ $15 a bottle vs. $6. You can buy different weights but around 6000-7000 cst. fluid is kind of the middle of the range.

Step one- clean clutch externally and drill a small hole in clutch

Step two- let drain overnight if there is remaining fluid in it, or to speed up the process put it in a 200 degree oven and let it drain more quickly

Step three- I put one container ~ 55ML of fluid into clutch- I used a hobby syringe to inject it

Last step- Plug hole with relatively short self-tapping screw. I cleaned the hole and put epoxy on the threads before screwing it in to help. Let epoxy cure overnight and then install in car.

So far so good- its been about a month- no leaks and it went from dead to working. Once outside temperatures warm up this spring, I may put another ounce or so of fluid in it to see what effect it has, but you don't want to fill it completely up.

I wish mine would be able to be taken apart like some of the Toyota ones to avoid the self tapping screw, but we'll see how well this works.

Kind of a fun experiment, if it doesn't end up working out in a few months it only cost me a few dollars and I'm not current driving around in heavy traffic in 100 degree weather to risk anything.

Just a thought if you want to try it!

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
What can I expect to pay for a fan clutch for my SEC? I'm getting prices on the net for $207 USD. seems a bit on the high side to me.
You and me both...

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,462 Posts
Refill it yourself. I've done it without any problems,it just takes a little time. I used the Toyota fluid (part numbers are in link).

Here are some instructions: Cooling Fan Clutch Rehab

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Also... saw a couple used on Fleabay - @ $80+ shipping

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'll only run Sachs units, the last few Behrs were China...Bah.

I'd make the switch to electric were it my car.

jonathan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Topaz, DP, URO, Autostar, all are sold on Fleabay ranging from 28 - 100+ USD. I do not see Sachs, or any other brands I recognise
A fluid coupled clutch is not that high tech and the Chinese should be able to build one but, it is Chinese......................
Bye or By?

I need to buy online as in Thailand and finding a good one here is not easy.
If a Bye, then is there a good on-line source?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,562 Posts
Unfortunately lots of problems with cheap ones. But, you may get lucky and the cheap ones can be very cheap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cheap is my concern,
The one on the car now is Behr, and I understand Sachs are good. Any recommends for other good brands, and where to buy online?

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
926 Posts
A Koolman from Amazon for less than $30 has lasted three years on my SEC and is still going. Another for my W210 lasted a month. Got a refund and bought another Chinese knock-off, which lasted until I sold it. I say they are worth taking a chance.

Interestingly, the W126 failed by refusing to disengage, while the W210 did the opposite.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unfortunately I am not rich enough to afford to buy cheap goods. By the time I import a cheap one at 50% duty and VAT, risk damage to my expensive engine in this hot climate, then import another, I should have bought a good one in the first place.
BTW it has already been refilled by the PO's "mechanic"

What are the quality brands?

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,196 Posts
By the time I import a cheap one at 50% duty and VAT, risk damage to my expensive engine in this hot climate, then import another, I should have bought a good one in the first place.
I totally understand & appreciate your logic there.

I have trusted both Hella & Behr for many years and within the last year obtained a replacement.
Reading the 'fine print' on the box, I hope the quality control standards are up to the German standards.

MBL

IMG_5018.JPG

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
416 Posts
MBL, I did the same... I don't see it as much of a risk, being that Behr/Hella QC will apply. It would be interesting to know who is the current OE supplier for MB and where are their products coming from.

I will share an interesting experience. Wiper blades! My daily drivers used the Bosch Edge (or whatever they call the all rubber contour blades) for a long time. The OEM blades would last 2 years if I'm lucky, in the Canadian climate. I tried many replacements, including non-OEM Bosch (made in different EU countries), Valeo made in EU and other brands. None last more than a year before they start streaking and making horrible noises. Went back to the dealership, got the Bosch and voila! 2 years! But in January of 2018 I was in a pinch and had to buy aftermarket, my local supplier only had Bosch aftermarket and to "sweeten" the deal, they were made in China. Reluctantly I bought them, installed them on the car and guess what? I still have the car and the Chinese Bosch blades and in a month it will be 2 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts