Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As of today, it seems like the fan clutch on my '95 OM606 powered diesel has bitten the dust again.

I replaced the original fan clutch a few years ago when I overhauled the cooling system when the water pump impeller was loose and radiator had developed a cold spot.

The first replacement fan clutch I bought was from AutohausAZ and was bad from minute 1. This was a Made in China BEHR special.

AutohausAZ replaced it with another fan clutch. Identical p/n#, but this one was made in Germany. Worked perfectly, for about 3-4 years using a fatter OM601 fan blade.

Since I live in the mountains, under load going up relatively steep hills I normally see about 100-105C on the dash and feel the fan clutch kick in at about 95C.

Today, going up the same hill, never felt the clutch engage and engine temp kept creeping up to about 115C. Once I pullled in at my destination, I did not turn off the engine (still above 100C), and was able to stop the fan using just 1 finger. Turned off the engine, and the fan just freewheels without any resistance.

So I'd like to find out what others are using for a fan clutch. Eliminating the fan clutch is NOT an option, which boils (excuse the pun) it down to the following 4 options.

1) Get another BEHR, and take my chances
2) Get a genuine MB fan clutch, which is probably OEMd by BEHR
3) Get a Fichtel&Sachs fan clutch
4) Anybody have anything (good or bad) to say about VEMO

Also, p/n#s for the respective brands would be helpful. I don't care about the money, just need to make sure the [email protected] thing works for the long haul. I plan to change the t-stat and coolant with genuine MB components as part of this service procedure.

Looking forward to your replies

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Buy MB-Genuine and see how long that lasts would be the way I'd go here.........

Keep it vertical though and when ordering it ask the Dealership to keep it vertical.

You could also refill the existing one with fluid and have it as a back up.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,696 Posts
I got a Sachs from German Star and seems to work good..cut out at 3500 RPM cuts back in when needed, and doesn't turn on when not needed ( like the Chineese one I had (Hayden brand) witch never dis-engaged. That's annoying on the freeway!)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,719 Posts
I really don't want to sound like broke record, but why do you need the clutch in the first place?
Clean your radiator very well, put MB coolant in it and enjoy clutch-less life. :D

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Because, in my neck of the woods, running without a fan clutch will overheat your engine.

If you don't believe me, bring your new W210 and I'll have it overheating in 15 minutes or less when going up the first few mountains.

·
Registered
36,719 Posts
Because, in my neck of the woods, running without a fan clutch will overheat your engine.

If you don't believe me, bring your new W210 and I'll have it overheating in 15 minutes or less when going up the first few mountains.
That might not happen as I am giving up my Hidden Meadows property to the bank. But last time I drove the exit the fan-less car was far away from overheating. My estimate the 1 mile grade on the exit is about 12%. I am not saying getting the car overheating is not possible, but I am testing it right now in Las Vegas at 108F and am still pretty safe
Might take another 2 year before I will get a chance to test it at 140F.

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
But do you think your car could do a continuous 25-30 mile climb at 12% with the ambient temp @ 123F or thereabouts while tackling switchbacks at 55MPH with the A/C on???

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
17,028 Posts
Similar experience here with a Chinese Behr from AH jammed on all the time. My fault for going cheap. The second MB German made Behr has lasted 12 months and now rarely engages at all. I recommend a Sachs which is what I will insist on next. Couldn't be any worse.

I think MB don't really care about parts for the older cars and near enough is good enough these days.

The fan clutch is the primary means of fan cooling. Running without a clutch is just a crap shoot with the electric fans the last line of defense which is not what MB intended.

Delete at your peril.

·
Registered
36,719 Posts
But do you think your car could do a continuous 25-30 mile climb at 12% with the ambient temp @ 123F or thereabouts while tackling switchbacks at 55MPH with the A/C on???
Such places don't exist. I passed the hardest grades I know - Bakersfield I 58 and Baker grade on I-15 last week with no problem and AC at full blast staying around 80 mph.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,396 Posts
You can't argue with this guy...he's always right. He can't back anything up, but he's really high on subjective opinions and always controversial. Yeah sure, run without a clutch fan...great advice.:rolleyes:

As far as your question, I'd go with parts.com and order OE...or at least see what brand they offer as OE.

Kevin

·
Registered
600 Posts
I plan on replacing mine too, soon. So I'm interested in everyone's opinion as to the best brand to use. Water pump too.

I think everyone on this forum should send their old fan clutch, when the time comes to replace, to Kajtecky.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
You can't argue with this guy...he's always right....
Maybe he is. I've read the threads wherein he firmly stand by his conviction that viscous fan clutch is not necessary which, I too didn't agree. But, based on his rebuttals and his testimonials I'm inclined to believe he is running his car without fan clutch with no ill effect because he got diesel engine.

That's the only logical explanation I could come up with because of my experience with MB diesel engines we used to install in commercial passenger vehicles. These engines are tough and operates better at high temp.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
I plan on replacing mine too, soon. So I'm interested in everyone's opinion as to the best brand to use. Water pump too.

I think everyone on this forum should send their old fan clutch, when the time comes to replace, to Kajtecky.
I replaced both fan clutch and waterpump with Mercedes OEM from the dealership but in both cases I told them that if the part didn't have the holographic sticker on it or on the box I wasn't going to pay.

Both are still going strong... fan clutch now going on 3.5 yrs, waterpump going on 2.5 yrs.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Maybe he is. I've read the threads wherein he firmly stand by his conviction that viscous fan clutch is not necessary which, I too didn't agree. But, based on his rebuttals and his testimonials I'm inclined to believe he is running his car without fan clutch with no ill effect because he got diesel engine.

That's the only logical explanation I could come up with because of my experience with MB diesel engines we used to install in commercial passenger vehicles. These engines are tough and operates better at high temp.
I can't speak for the diesels, as they are a different animal. But without one on the gassers is just plain, unsupported BS.

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Seeing that the aftermarket clutches are junk and OEM are dipped in platinum, I think I'll ask Jane to get me off this crazy thing. I'm heading off in a different direction. I recently parted one of my Audis, which had a 2.8L V6 and never once gave me any cooling system problems. We also have another exact copy of that car and have had the same positive experience with the cooling system. I'm going to ditch the MB fan clutch and install a fan switch, relay, programmable SPAL controller and dual Audi fan housing on my 2.5L engine. I also have a spare 3.0L Behr radiator and that dual fan housing fits perfectly from side to side, and I'll use my bandsaw to section the bottom to fit and then rivet in some material to get the height just perfect. I'm also going to fit the parallel flow condenser, but that's for another thread.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Seeing that the aftermarket clutches are junk and OEM are dipped in platinum, I think I'll ask Jane to get me off this crazy thing. I'm heading off in a different direction. I recently parted one of my Audis, which had a 2.8L V6 and never once gave me any cooling system problems. We also have another exact copy of that car and have had the same positive experience with the cooling system. I'm going to ditch the MB fan clutch and install a fan switch, relay, programmable SPAL controller and dual Audi fan housing on my 2.5L engine. I also have a spare 3.0L Behr radiator and that dual fan housing fits perfectly from side to side, and I'll use my bandsaw to section the bottom to fit and then rivet in some material to get the height just perfect. I'm also going to fit the parallel flow condenser, but that's for another thread.

Let us know how that works.:thumbsup:

I had Peugeot wagons once and they had magnetic clutch fans. Just had to check the gap and adjust once a yr. I always thought that was a pretty good system; no viscous fluid to leak out etc....never replaced one.

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I had Peugeot wagons once and they had magnetic clutch fans. Just had to check the gap and adjust once a yr. I always thought that was a pretty good system; no viscous fluid to leak out etc....never replaced one.

Kevin
That's actually another interesting option. I believe the 201 chassis uses electric clutches, so they theoretically should fit these cars as well. I haven't studied the wiring diagram, but I suppose it's a fairly simple setup.

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can definitely vouch for the Audi setup, as it never gave me any issues when I had my Audi A6 (C4 chassis) whether I was in the blistering desert or in the mountains of Montana.

However, time is not on my side and I need a solution. Upon researching the OE fan clutch, it seems that they are now supplied by a company called HORTON but physically it looks like just another Fichtel & Sachs.

Check the link
Index of /images/OM606_misc/fan_clutches/60x_OE_fan_clutch_606-200-00-22

Anybody know anything about HORTON or is running a OE fan clutch that is labeled HORTON???

Thanks for the feedback so far. It looks like my choice is either going to be OE (and the $450 or so price tag) or a Sachs clutch from Germanstar.net at about $250.

·
Registered
36,719 Posts

It should be common knowledge on technical forum that diesel engines run close to 50% thermal efficiency, while gasoline engines about 30%.
Meaning close to 70% of gasoline burned in the engines is converted to heat.
I always point that I am talking about diesel, but when it comes to dispute with guys who put their egos above laws of physics, you can not win.
Now talking about gasoline engines driven without fan - I did that too. Fiat 125 had electromagnetic clutch and at one point I noticed the brush broken and covered with lot of dirt, what lead me to conclusion that I drove with no working fan for long time.
I removed the blades and the car was happy without it.
Different story as the car had no AC, manual transmission that did not require cooling and the major factor was, that the car was design in hot Italy, when I drove it in much colder Poland.
Sure the stuff that not everybody can understand, especially when they shoot themself in the foot by using cheaper less efficient coolant.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts