Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was travelling to Sarasota this weekend with a carload of family. While on the Interstate, I got a beep on the dash saying that my battery was not charging. Since I was having a few problems and had to rebuild the alternator last month, I figured that is was something similar and would simply take a look at it at the next exit.

Once I looked down again, the engine temperature was running Very Hot! I instantly shut off the engine and coasted to the side of the Interstate.

When I opened the hood, I found the fan belt (V-Belt) literally shredded and wrapped around the pulleys (mainly the center circulation pump pulley). I spent the next 20-30 minutes pulling this dead fan belt out of a HOT engine. Luckily for me, I carried an extra fan belt in the hidden compartment (yup, this is one of the items that I listed in 'what do you carry in compartment under your rear seat').

I spent the next half-hour trying to figure out how to route this belt. I kept thinking "$#[email protected]% they sold me the wrong belt". I could not find the belt diagram in any of my owner's manuals.

I called Dutch to see if he could look up my belt and see if I had the right one. We could not find the belt numbers in any of the documentation or manuals. Dutch was able to find a picture of the fan belt diagram (route around the pulleys). Better yet, he was able to email the picture to my cell phone!
PERFECT! We were routing the belt wrong. 10 minutes later, we were on the road again...

Tools & Supplies needed: (1) Fan Belt, (1) 15mm short-well socket & ratchet (for the tensioner pulley), (1) pocket knife (to help cut out the old fan belt).
And one picture of the fan belt diagram....

Thanks Dutch for all of your help...
I would have been there for at least another hour before yelling that I had the wrong belt!

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Serpentine belt owners take note!!!!!! NOW!!!!! (even V-belt types)

Even if you have to draw your own diagram.....do it today, seal it under packaging tape and secure it to the radiator support or some other dead obvious and out-of-harm's-way under hood location.

Even when just changing the belt for routine maintenance, and even if you JUST saw that belt in place, by the time you take it off and fish the new belt out of the package, you'll be darned surprised how difficult it is to remember how it went.

Heck, even for regular V-belts, there are sometimes enough of them that they can be a pain to remember when you have to take them all off to get at the rear-most one, which is invariably the one that fails. An under-hood belt diagram is always a good idea.

Thanks for the reminder!

Glad you were able to get through the situation without too much hassle, but as you found, having the belt without the diagram is kind of like carrying a surgical kit in your first aid kit when you've never sewed a stich. You might get lucky and do some good with it, but the odds are against you. [:)]

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
Braingears - 4/10/2006 10:00 AM

Thanks Dutch for all of your help...
You're more than welcome. Glad I could help.

Someone did the same for me when I broke down in Nebraska a couple of years ago. Pay it forward![:)]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts