Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read similar posts but haven't found solutions. I have an occasional false activation of the front driver's side parktronic system, especially in slow speed traffic (when I'm no where close to an obstruction).

I've tried cleaning them really well, assuming road debris/bugs may be the problem to no avail.

Do individual sensors go bad and give false positive alarms or just go blind when they fail?

Only thing I haven't addressed is a suggestion to clean any wax off of the sensors that may be reflecting the signal. I think that might be a long shot since all the others but driver's side front work fine.

I'd hate to bring this to the dealer; intermittent problems tend to never manifest themselves while with the dealer, and take forever to get diagnosed.

·
Registered
GL550 2010 Smoke Grey, GL450 2007 Pewter on Macadamia
15 Posts
I have had numerous sensors go bad on my 07 gl450. Usually upon close inspection you can find a stone impact mark on sensor that caused damage. Stealer can hook up diagnostics to see which is bad. Seems to me sensor is about $100 plus labour and painting. Most of my problems occur in winter, especially after a car wash in cold (below freezing) weather (I live in Northern Ontario, sometimes see 40 below)
Surprisingly, my 2010 gl550 never seems to have the problem. Perhaps better system, or maybe my wife drives the 07 too much :)

·
Registered
2008 GL 320, 2012 BMW X1, 1995 Volvo 855T, 2008 Outback
307 Posts
Do individual sensors go bad and give false positive alarms or just go blind when they fail?

I'd hate to bring this to the dealer; intermittent problems tend to never manifest themselves while with the dealer, and take forever to get diagnosed.
I understand your concern re dealer and electrical issues. Yes, the sensors can fail, but I would check the wiring at the sensor first. A little cleanup of the connector may help. Fortunately, the sensors are de-activated above 25mph.

Along with others, I have had to turn them off during snow/freezing rain events. That buzzer is worse than my alarm clock!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts