Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
E200K - 2008 (facelift)
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm not one for branding and though I do presently have Michelin Pirelli's reaching the end of their life cycle - I'm debating as to whether to go with Falken's or Michelins?

There have been quite a few motoring enthusiasts who have advised me to go with Falken as not only are they economical but up to and superior to Michelins.

Any comments and advise would be welcomed. :surrender:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hi there,

I'm not one for branding and though I do presently have Michelin Pirelli's reaching the end of their life cycle - I'm debating as to whether to go with Falken's or Michelins?

There have been quite a few motoring enthusiasts who have advised me to go with Falken as not only are they economical but up to and superior to Michelins.

Any comments and advise would be welcomed. :surrender:
Michelin Pirellis? What?

Michelin and Pirelli are not the same thing, they are different brands, just like Michelin and Falken.

If money is not an object the Michelin's (especially the pilot sport) are a terrific tire. Depending on the model Pirellis are also quite good (and often a quieter tire, but the P6 is pretty noisy).

Lots of people run on Falkens, it's not like they're junk, just be sure it's the proper tire (size, load and speed rating) for your car.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
E200K - 2008 (facelift)
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about mistake there - I meant Michelins, Pirellis vs Falken

I just wanted to check the rumour so to speak ... Falkens apparently are a great buy and in light of the crazy manner by which I drive ... replacement will be a regular.

Looks like Falken are what I'll be leaning towards.

Thanks for the input:thumbsup:

Mercedes Tires and Wheels
774 Posts
I wouldn't focus so much on brand. Instead, focus on what you are looking for in a tire they buy the tire that is most fitting. In general tires are a you get what you pay for product. Although they are all round and black there can be some significant differences from one tire to another tire even if the same size.

What are you looking for in a tire? Life, comfort, performance? How many miles do you put on your vehicle per year? Are you looking for a summer tire or a tire you can ride on year round? What are the driving conditions like where you live and what are the weather patterns? These are all things that should be considered when purchasing new tires.

·
Registered
1991 350sd, 2000 sl600
36 Posts
tire selection

My driving is highway, fast, hot, dry.
My Michelin Pilot Sports are end of life. They've always been noisy.
I can't afford the pricy tires right now. So I'm leaning to Falkens.

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 C300 W205
13 Posts
FALKEN ZIEX

I just put 4 of these on my 2007 E350 4matic with the 18" wheel sport package.

The car now rides like a boulder.

I am looking to take them off and either get:

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
Toyo Proxes 4
Goodyear Eagle F1 all season.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts

I don't think you'll be happy with the Falkens at the limit. Michelins and Pirellis are just OK for your driving style - and I think they're unecessarilly expensive. You didn't mention if these were summer only or all season tires. I assume you're looking for mostly summer, high performance tires. In that case, I'd opt for the Goodyear Eagle F1-GS-D3. They're probably the best UHP tires for the money. They stick, are quiet and wear better than the Michelins - don't know about the Pirellis, never liked the way they look.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
Toyo Proxes 4

Any suggestions?
What size 18" wheels do you have and what size Falkens do you have on them, and what's the tire pressure you're driving on? These all contribute a lot to the ride quality. If you're riding on Lo Pro Falkens at higher than recommended tire pressures, you will bounce around.

I'm somewhat confused at what you really want: The Nero is a summer only tire, and the G'Year Eagle F1 is an all season tire - a completely different driving spectrum. If you want a performance summer tire, get the G'Year Eagle F1-GS-D3. If you want an all season tire, don't drive like you're on a F1 circuit, and don't snow-drive, save your money and get a set of Sumitomo HTR-Z or III. They're great inexpensive performing rubbers as long as you stay well within the limits. If your all season includes snow, get the Sumitomos and then get a dedicated set of snow tires.

·
Registered
2018 C300 W205
13 Posts
I have the 18" wheels that come on the E350 Mercedes 4matic with the sport package
They are 245-40-18.
The Pirelli is an all season (M&S).
I am on Long Island and do drive in snow.
The Conti's that came on the car were great but, at 250.00 each, the tire dealer (STS) gave me some options.
The Falken is just a very hard ride.
The car is a lease and I need to keep all season tires on it.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts
I have the 18" wheels that come on the E350 Mercedes 4matic with the sport package
They are 245-40-18.
The Conti's that came on the car were great but, at 250.00 each, the tire dealer (STS) gave me some options.
In that case, I propose the Sumitomo HTR+. It's a great inexpensive tire as long as you don't push the limit. They also last a long time and The Rack has them for $106/tire - don't know what Discount Tire has them for.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
In that case, I propose the Sumitomo HTR+. It's a great inexpensive tire as long as you don't push the limit. They also last a long time and The Rack has them for $106/tire - don't know what Discount Tire has them for.
It does seem to be a great tire but CHECK YOUR LOAD RATING before ordering. They're too light for my car in my size.

774 Posts

What year and model Benz will this be going on? Are you still running the OE tire size/sizes?

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
Toyo Proxes 4

Any suggestions?
They are 245-40-18.
Which model Falken are you running?

If you are going to replace your tires I would take a look at the Conti Extreme Contact. This tire meets are the OEM requirements in terms of load index and speed rating. This model gets high reviews in all categories but really shines in snow/ice traction. Here's a link with more details...

774 Posts
I have the Ziek 912
The 245/40-18 Ziex ZE912 meets the original equipment load index and speed rating. I run the 912's on an IS300 and have had no issues. What PSI are you running your tires at?

·
Registered
2018 C300 W205
13 Posts
Here's the latest update.
I went back to STS tire and told him that the Falkens were pulling and a super hard ride.
He told me that the Toyo Proxes 4 was a great tire and he would swap them out.
I had them put on and it was a disaster.
First, they never balanced the tires properly and the whole car was shaking at 65.
Had them balanced again and the tires very super noisy at highway speeds.
Decided to go to another STS and get a second opinion.
The manager told me that both tires that the first guy suggested should have never been put on this type of car.
The car needs a touring tire, not a performance tire.
I was going to put back on the Conti's that the car originally came with but he couldn't get them for a few days and I didn't want to drive 100 miles a day with these tires on the car.
He suggested the Pirelli P6 four season.
I know that they didn't get the greatest reviews but, I decided to give them a try.
So far, been on the car a day and they are pretty good.
The car doesn't pull anymore, no real road noise, and a ride similar to the conti's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Michelin Defenders but the side walls are dry rotten. I looked at Firestone Affinity Touring BL P195/70R14 90S and Sincera Touring SN211 Falken P195/70R14 90T SL BLT tires. I am looking for a nice ride but handles in wet conditions (in snow and eliminates any hydroplaning in rain). I am not sure what the extra letters noted above are but a simple explanation would help clear my head. If there is another tire that I should consider than please tell me about that tire. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts