Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking into potentially purchasing an S500, as such I recently became aware of people putting S500 badges on S430s and trying to pass them off as such, that's one of the things I'm adding to my list of things to look out for, I tried to see if it was possible to identify with the VIN, and it isn't, so what should I be looking for?

Also, one of the cars I've shortlisted to look at in the next few days is listed as having "Knockoff B200T Brabus Rims", should I be concerned about this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use the EPC with the vin # to retrieve the data card.
Considering I don't have access to the EPC (unless there's a free way I don't know about yet), I assume that calling my local Benz dealer with the VIN would also solve this problem?

I'm actually surprised that Benz doesn't seem to badge the engines in a way that can't be modified, unless there's something I dont know as well.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
All you have to do is pop the hood and check the engine OR drive the car. The S430 engine and cover are different and the car is slower than the 500 variant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the engine "badged" accordingly? Can it be faked as well?

Also any oppinion on the "Knockoff" B200Ts?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Read the first six digits of the engine number:-

S500 can be fitted with either 113.960 or 113.986
S430 can be fitted with either 113.941 or 113.948

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Eric, that's what I was looking for...

Just wondering if anyones got a take on those knockoff B200T rims at this point, shoudl take care of everything I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts