Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, how much shit can a person get in for flashing a fake badge that resembles oh I don't know, lets say a cop badge? Here's my problem.

Ever since I got the SLK32, what seems like every swinging dick on the planet with new coffee can muffler pulls along side me, revs the motor, flips me off, screams obsanities trying to provoke me into racing them.

Sure, it'd be fun just to blow them off, but hey, its the real world, there's safety issues, traffic violations and worse of all, my wife in the passenger seat with arms all folded saying "see, I knew this would happen if we got the 32, I'm going to find my husband wrapped around a tree". And the music plays on...(rolls eyes)

I can handle it when a guy revs his engine, if the window comes down I smile and say, nice car! Then I say something along the lines of... Can't dude, pregnant wife. Specialy if I know I can kick their ass. But flipping you off, calling you the "P" word over and over, while they sit there with a car full of teenie boppers in the passenger seats not having any consideration for their lives, that just pisses me off. I'd like to calmly smile and flip open a wallet, flashing them a badge. You know, just to shut them up. I'm 44 so I think I can pull the look off ok.

Now, what I fear, getting stopped by some cop someday and having him find my toy crowd control. What do you think they'd do?

The other day some guy in a Ford Probe went nuts, crossing into my lane and braking infront of me and then switching lanes, the dude kept burning rubber, the car looked terrible, a real rat. I just kept falling back more and more, but the traffic behind us started freaking out cause I'm in a 45mph lane going 20 now. Finaly I broke, there was nobody infront of us, I bolted and left him in the dust, at the next light I got into the left lane to blow a U Turn, I was desprite to get rid of this guy but my life is never easy, he turned too.

I'm doing my best to ignore this guy, I even moved my visor to the side window LOL! my wife is screaming at me, then pulled along side of us, screaming that he wasn't ready... flipping us off then he started to spit! I'm like WTF, I pulled into a car dealer and got out of the car, I think it made him nervous when he saw a 6 foot 270lb guy get out of the car with half of the car club in each hand, he left in a hurry. Thank God I didn't get shot now that I think of it. My ass chewing didn't stop for a half hour. Man, it blew my whole day. It started off so nice, it was sunny, we just wanted to go out for a nice cruise. We didn't even have the radio on, we just listend to the car purrr.

The guy looked to be about 24ish, Russian, OMG he was so agressive. If I was thinking clearly I would have taken his plate number and reported him, but I was getting so much wife agro I just wanted to climb under a rock. Oh to be clear, she's not pregnant. I just would say that so I don't have to race every knuckle head on the planet if challenged.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
the plate number would of done nothing! now. here is where james bond comes into play.

I am not kidding when I say this because I had it on my ranger.

1st off the cop thing is a very bad idea. You go to jail for a very long time for impersonating an officer. It is the same as if you install cop lights on your car and pull people over. I have family in the fbi so i wear the hat and shirt all over and people tend to fuck off.

Install a box under your car full of 3 prong spikes. Hook it up to a wire. run the wire into the car. nex time u have an asshole behind you pull the cord flip the box send spikes all over the road behind you. Fucker wont bother u anymore and your family is safe.

The police SUCK man ive had nothing but bad news with them so take matters into your own hand but be smart about it because you know you'll go to jail forever. the bad guy get let go on technicalities.

--deathy

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The spikes would sort 'em out, but could get you in trouble...

Apart from ignoring them, you could put a "I don't race" bumper sticker on your car or something.

You got a car some punks think is a worthy adversary. Either change cars or live with it. Yeah, doesn't sound like a good deal, but if you take it too personally, you'll just land yourself into bigger trouble.

If someone started revving their engine at me and wanted to race, I'd just shrug my shoulders and wave a finger saying "no no". They would get the idea and bugger off. At least here they do...

(You can't modify an engine over here, so most punks in POS rides don't bother going up to you, revving their engine... simply because they know their car would suck against yours as their engine would HAVE to be stock, otherwise they get busted and go to jail).

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Deathy got me to thinking, you could buy a ball cap that says "POLICE", "FBI", "DEA" or something like that, I see those all over the place. Then just pull the hat out and point to it, the punk won't know for sure and probably wouldn't want to press his luck. Does anyone know if those ball caps are OK? I wouldn't think you would be "impersonating a police officer" for a ball cap. There are a bunch on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52366&item=8170434219&rd=1

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Shinigami - 2/21/2005 1:03 PM

Apart from ignoring them, you could put a "I don't race" bumper sticker on your car or something.
No way!!! a bumper sticker!?!?!??! Don't shame your mercedes with a sticker, and anyways, it would only bring out more "P" word. The cop thing would be good, they'd get really scared, and it would be kinda hard to get caught, but as Deathy said, if you do get caught, you're screwed. One of my friend's dads bought an old ambulance when he was young and they drove around with the cherry tops blazin and got in huge trouble. hehe. We have A LOT of ricers and white trash mustang/camaros, etc. in my town that are always acting like you describe, and while I am young and tend to accept a race here and there, I just try to ignore those fools. Once this "modded" civic hatchback (Type R hahahahha) followed me around for a really long time...but you just have to know how to make traffic work for you, getting in the right lane at the right time to lose somebody.

Instead of the spikes, maybe you could put flamethrower exhaust on and just melt their chickenwire grille inserts and paper machet body kits. There really isn't anything you can do to make ricers and white trash leave you alone...just let darwin work his magic.

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
I agree with the Darwin comment, those idiots will end up around telephone poles soon enough. As far as the hats (FBI or whatever) go, they sell them in malls around here, so they are definitely legal, but also pretty common, so people will probably not be scared off by it.

As far as impersonating a police officer, I am pretty sure that it requires that you actually do something (like pull someone over, or try to get in somewhere using a fake badge etc). Just wearing a hat or having a fake badge in the car would not be impersonating an officer. It's the act of impersonating that is illegal, not just having a fake badge. Now if the badge was too good a fake (i.e. it looked somewhat real on closer inspection) then that would probably be illegal (like a fake ID is), or if a cop caught you flashing it to someone...

PT

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Sounds like you got a real tweaker. Definitely happens at times. What sometimes works for me if someone is being a up close jackass is act as I am writing down the plate (done clearly on top of the dash then pickup my phone. Has worked several times. Clearly if someone is acting as irrational as you described the only solution I can think of is to remove yourself from the environment, stop and get some ice cream :p Also might sooth the other half[;)]
When this kind of stuff happens I usually just laugh at them, which either makes them feel about 1 inch tall, or pisses them off even more. I actually had this happen once in a suburban, I look over and every window is down with a middle finger extended, young, old, I started laughing pretty good which only pissed the driver off more so he swerved a lane over as if to hit me. Just like an animal behavior that doesn’t illicit a response eventually extinguishes [:D]
I always keep in the back of my head, its all a projection on their part, they don’t know me in the slightest. Then its up to you what u do with that projection, confirm it that slk drivers are fast driving asshole psyho's or blow it off and enjoy a nice afternoon with the wifey.
As far as the badge id be super careful, if they catch u with it they may not get u for impersonating a officer but I am sure they will find something wrong with your car, or look until they do. You also could run the risk of escalating a bad situation with a crazy driver. Don't forget cops get shot at all the time unfortunately.

·
Registered
83-300D
116 Posts
I always wave my index finger at people (Shinigami mentioned it) especially if they are tailgating. I am very rarely tailgated in my '01 but my '83, It seems like everyone wants to drive fast when I am in it. I think going 70-80 is fine and I move over for everyone when I can. But if I can't they need to back out and thats when the index finger and me tapping the brakes

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Can't say I have had this problem in the SLK32.

The spikes thing is a bad idea. To large a liklihood of collateral damage. I for one would not want to have to pay to replace the tires on someone elses car. If I am spending ~$1k on tires it is going to be for me not for someone else.

The badge thing is very bad mojo also. If you flash the badge at an off duty or undercover cop you will not enjoy the experience.

Best option is to ignore them, act like you are writting down their plate and calling the cops, wag your finger at them.

·
Registered
SLK 230 yellow
200 Posts
Don't do the badge thing. When we ran the Cannonball we got pulled over on the NJ turnpike. My co driver flashed a CT town police badge and promptly got locked up.[}:)]

·
Registered
2005 CLK200 Komp, 2007 R350
680 Posts
Do you have a camera phone? Point it like you're taking a picture of them and their numberplate and then pretend to call the cops.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Use the camera phone on them, and then call 911 if you have to. I have a concealed permit, so's I don't go out alone anymore...there are so many nutcakes that will shoot you out of road rage. Had one of those chase me all over north Dallas one day and they attempted to use their auto as a lethal weapon/ did display a black autoloading pistol- probably glock ..but I lucked out and didn't get hit or have to take severe action, before the cops arrived...saw the dangerous driving and arrested the perp. Was a coke user and pusher. Really paranoid. Found a gun in his car. Car was confiscated/sold at auction. He got 15 years...and has to do about 12 before considerable for parole..since felony compounded by firearm posession.

Regards

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
you have to prove it was me that droped the spikes. and even then these days they cant come at you at all if you say hey man I wasnt there i dont know what your talking about. thats it. its that simple. someone could see you do something.... it does not matter. You can get away with ANYTHING!!!!

drop the spikes, flip em the bird then go have ice cream. Kinda hard to shoot a handgun when your cars 2 front tires are blown and the slk in front of you is a half a mile away.

I havent done the spike conversion on the slk, havent had the need. However someone was following me one time because I was "driving 2 fast" and he had his kids in the car and he thought it might be good to kick the shit outta me in front of them. I called my friend big papa up who lives down the street and had him and big dave come out of the house and wait for me. I drove over there and got outa my car this guy came right up behind me and did the same. He took one look at papa and dave and got back in his car and drove off. One way I have also found to ditch people is wait for them to get outta the car then takeoff.

I have family that works in the fbi if you want some t-shirts and hats/jackets let me know your size paypal me the money and I can sent some lagit FBI shit over. I got tons. Even got me outta a few tickets back in the day in my truck.

--Deathy

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
How come no one mentioned DEBADGING your car. Most people wouldn't know the difference anyway, but since that AMG logo is on your tail, people think they have to show you how big their cajones are.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
They're called "road stars", and are available in at least two sizes....

The problem is that when they hit the road, especially at speed, they bounce all over the place. You can't really place them where you want or need them.
Max has a good idea: I did essentially the same thing by faking the opening of my glove box and putting something from inside it, onto the passengers seat. The guys in the other car shut up, and stayed very clear of me. (The roof was down, so it was obvious what I was doing.)

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Sometimes I feel lucky to live in a country where I never experience anything close to what you guys have (like someone following you with a gun, or wanting to have their kid beat you up in front of them).

The worst I've had is a bunch of rascals walking around booing at me (with my old car, with the new one, all the chavs cheer at me and my car [:D] ). I've also had a few chicks stop write on front of my car at a pedestrian crossing, in order to "impress me" with their 'ghetto style yo yo yo' (if you see what I mean... sigh, silly girls, I just waved them off).

And I've only had like two people ever wanna race me. One I did on purpose, and when we came at the lights (I won btw) he rolled down his window and asked me how many ponies I had (in my back then Brabus) and we chatted a bit. The other bunch of guys who wanted to race were looking at me and shouting "c'mon", I just looked at them and waved by finger (doing a "tsk tsk tsk" motion) and they shrugged their shoulders and said something to the tune of "too bad" (French: "dommage").

Funny though, my GF got her Smart Roadster, and a few nights back when she was bringing me back home from work with it (I'm picking up my license plates again on Friday since the winter is almost over!!! WOOOHOOO, don't tell my GF [;)]), and she was driving a bit 'sportily'. At some lights near out home, a riced out car with a bunch of teenagers were inside. My GF accelerated a bit hard off the lights, and I think they thought she was racing them coz they also put the pedal down like mad. My GF looked over and was like "silly boys" [:D]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My first thoughts when I got the car was to debadge it, but I ride with several guys who own Ferrari's, Shelby Cobra's, High end Porches etc and I brought it up at the pub one night before I got the car and they stepped on my dick saying that it was to "Getto" to debage you car. I didn't understand the Getto theory, but someone tried to explain it like you had something to hide and once you hide it then you lose your honor and credibility. Ok, what ever. lol. So, I left the badges on, mainly because I'll be riding with them going to all these classy events that they go to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts