Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got that damn SRS control unit out and the new one in, cleared all the codes and now as good as new. Took it into the Vehicle Inspection Center here in Mass and got failed for headlights (why the hell I didn't put the new ones in before I took it there, I dunno) and for the idler arm.

The mechanic says he "didn't realize the idler arm was a two piece assembly" and failed me because he said I didn't replace it. When I showed him the old one he looked pretty dumb. But then he countered that the bolt on the idler arm dropped about a centimeter when the wheels were turned. Is this valid? Do I just need to torque the bolt down more, or is it supposed to do that? Thanks for your help.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,647 Posts
If you look up the file in the service pdf listing sticky, someone will post the idler arm file you need.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Did you torque it down to factory specs? See attached doc - 180Nm, which is a lot. It also shows the allowable play, its not much.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Markus, I suppose that's what I was looking for. Teutone, I used that pdf to install it.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Yeah, but did you torque 'the bolt' to spec?

My guess would be no. I don't see how there could be play in it if a new kit was installed and it was torqued down correctly (unless the new part is faulty?). I remember when I did it the torque seemed high (which it is!) but it was tight for sure when I was done. Without a torque wrench this is hard to do.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, this is pretty much what I was looking for. Potential sources of error. I'll try to pick up a torque wrench and try again. Do I need to turn the wheels to get more torque on it? My thinking is, if the guy says when he turned the bolt it dropped down, then that'd be the time to torque it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
I know you mentioned $$ was tight but for now you can go to Harbor Freight and get one there it's under 15.00 I have read. The other kind like Snap on, Matco, Proto are really really expensive. I am on a hunt for one on ebay or on craigslist. Make sure you get the click kind. Good Luck!

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Thanks again, this is pretty much what I was looking for. Potential sources of error. I'll try to pick up a torque wrench and try again. Do I need to turn the wheels to get more torque on it? My thinking is, if the guy says when he turned the bolt it dropped down, then that'd be the time to torque it. Thanks.

I had the car up on jackstands with no wheels on it when I did the work as part of the complete suspension rebuild. I just started tightening it down with a regular wrench by hand, then finished off with the torque wrench.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,647 Posts
I use 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive torq wrenches.
The kind of torque needed is best applied with a 1/2 inch drive.
For about 30-35$ you should get something decent from Pep Boys / Napa etc.
On those price range torq wrenches you may have to convert Nm to foot pound.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive torq wrenches.
The kind of torque needed is best applied with a 1/2 inch drive.
For about 30-35$ you should get something decent from Pep Boys / Napa etc.
On those price range torq wrenches you may have to convert Nm to foot pound.
Thanks. I found a craftsman on CL for $50 up to 150 ft∙lbs.

For future reference:

http://www.sizes.com/units/charts/Ftlbus.pdf

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What size socket is needed for the idle arm bolts?

Thanks
15/16 "

I torqued it down with my friend yesterday. Forget a torque wrench, we both were pulling on a breaker bar until we were satisfied that thing wasn't going anywhere and until we physicallly couldn't move it anymore.

Watch your fingers.

Find a bracing point for the top wrench.

I passed inspection today and the car steers a lot better :)

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
Alrighty with the inspection!! They did away with inspection here in Florida for a little while now and glad they did.

Much thanks for the info!

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
I was going to say you need to go to a differen inspection center if they are going to be that anal retentive about something like that.

I was called on an inspection item, took it to my mechanic--who couldn't find anything wrong. Took it to a different inspection station, without changing a thing, and passed.

I called up the State Police, who are in charge of inspection stations, and reported the first place that inspected my car for bogus failure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts