Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I currently own an Audi and brand new to the whole Mercedes buying experience so I am not sure if I should be looking at things differently, if so I am probably shopping for the wrong car.

I went to my local dealer in Northern New Jersey two weeks ago to talk about a new SLK350. I even showed the agent my credit preapproval. I was quite specific with what I was looking for but never talked price or anything like that. The agent took down my information and promised to call me the following Monday.

I never got a call back from this guy. I left a voicemail for him and still got no response. I sent him an email and got no response from that either. So as a last resort I tried submitting a bid for quote on carsdirect.com, unfortunately it only sent the quote to one dealership - the same one! Despite the carsdirect.com confirmation providing a different contact name, I still got no response from this either.

What is it about this dealership or my approach that seems to make them averse to taking my money? I am shopping for a SLK350 but quite frankly my taste is a bit soured and I'm not sure if I should continue with Mercedes in any way if this is an indication of what I can expect in exchange for my $50,000.

Any insight from the experienced MB'ers on this board would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
It does seem rather strange. I have a wonderful dealer but I am in California. Is this dealer the only one close to you? There are some terrible dealers as has been noted on this forum and others, like myself, have had great experiences.

Several forum members are from New Jersey (Silver_Lana comes to mind). They may not be close to you but they may be able to recommend a dealer or two. My advice would be to contact other dealers and don't let your experience with this one sour you on Mercedes or the SLK. It is a great car and you will love it!![8D]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Hi Chris, the cars are superb, You've got to get one. The dealerships premises are excellent - ours in the poor impoverished NE of England has an excellent Brasserie, where all the staff have nice lunches. The decor is faultless, the staff are all very chummy with each other, and get on really well. The only thing that spoils the whole setup, is occasionally some nasty, strange people come in who have the audacity to spoil their day, and God forbid, want to buy a car [:0][:0][:0]

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Don't let the attitude of the salesperson spoil your opinion of the outstanding SLK350. Find another dealership or talk to the general sales manager. So often a business is judged by first impression of one employee.[:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 5/17/2005 12:30 PM

Hi Chris, the cars are superb, You've got to get one. The dealerships premises are excellent - ours in the poor impoverished NE of England has an excellent Brasserie, where all the staff have nice lunches. The decor is faultless, the staff are all very chummy with each other, and get on really well. The only thing that spoils the whole setup, is occasionally some nasty, strange people come in who have the audacity to spoil their day, and God forbid, want to buy a car [:0][:0][:0]
LOL Wool...if I had that set up I wouldn't want to be bothered either[:I]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Welcome to the group. Don't let that salesman ruin a potentially great experience. If you want to buy a car through that dealership, contact the sales manager or if possible the owner and express your desire to buy the car and also request that the salesman that snubbed you have no part in the transaction.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
I definitely agree: call the sales manager, tell him of the situation, mention the sales person's name and ask the manager to have some interested new sales person call you.

If that doesn't work, it's new dealer time.

·
Registered
slk 350
116 Posts
I had a similarly bad experience at one large, pompous NY MB dealership. Since you are in northern NJ, I would highly recommend you go to MB of Nanuet NY, which is just across the border. My salesman there is Chris Moran. He is honest, responsive and was willing to make a deal late last year when no one was dealing on these cars.

The irony is that MB of Nanuet actually pulled the car I bought from the dealer I had the original bad experience with. And they sold it to me for less.

BTW, I also came from an Audi.

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
This is NOT unusual at all. I've found over half of the dealers are this way in Northern Cal.

Check out what they say.

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/dealer.asp?dealerid=13115

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
Also, don't let their upscale image fool you. Car salesman are car salesman and they have no conscience when wanting your money bad. They will sell you a lemon, trick you and do whatever they think they can get away with.

Woolly, is your dealer good ? I have a SLK350 now. Next year when I am ready for a 2nd MB, I gotta go to your dealer and get one. I am in North Cal. and dealers here MOSTLY suck.

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. Until they get the 350 engines right ( see posts re: oil consumption) , I can't see lining up and buying a chance at the $50,000 lottery. Wait a year or two to see if they know how to manufacture a good car on a consistent basis. I'm done with MB.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
babysml - 5/17/2005 5:32 PM

This is NOT unusual at all. I've found over half of the dealers are this way in Northern Cal.

Check out what they say.

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/dealer.asp?dealerid=13115
Thanks for the post...interesting web site, although I wish it had more data to be statistically relevant...[:eek:)]

·
Registered
06 SLK350
75 Posts
We are in the same boat regarding terrible service at the dealer. I have been waiting for my car for now. . . 3 and a half months and I almost never get a call back after leaving messages. Its absolutely horrible to think im gonna spend over 50k on a car and have had to deal with that BS. I can get that kinda attention for a car that costs 10k. Maybe I need to rent a tux and walk in with a steel briefcase handcuffed to my wrist for some respect. My excitement for this car decreases on a daily basis when situations like this arise.
Im not saying that I wont be all giddy when/if the car comes in but the long wait is rough enough and I do expect (maybe stupidly) better attention then what I experience.

·
Registered
SLK350
232 Posts
The dealer review site is pretty new and I hope more people will start noticing it and put in comments. It will make an impact on MB dealer quality and service I believe.

This comes from true experience. Used to rent (now own) a condo in a new high-rise. All residents were paying a premium for rent because it was new and has fabulous views. However, property manager had a lousy attitude and cared or less what tenants have to say.

People started moving out and putting in negative comments in the apartment reviews website. Vacancy rate goes up and it was hurting their pocket

Management company then decided to do away with this manager and started to improve the property as you can tell they've noticed what people are saying on the web. People with money to spend is not going to be fed up with this type of stuff.

First MB and love the SLK. My Bimmer is now upset.

With all respect to our fellow MBers, I did out run a new SL500 this weekend. With the money we paid for the 350, can't beat that.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I too was an Audi man until the little car changed me, I am noww officially a roadster man. I agree with the ladies and gents here, the car is great, call the Manager as a last resort or perhaps the owner. This car is worth the hassle, just picture it with the top down, ripping through the gears and having a smile on your face [:D]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
babysml - 5/18/2005 1:42 AM

Woolly, is your dealer good ? I gotta go to your dealer and get one. I am in North Cal. and dealers here MOSTLY suck.
... Not good enough to travel all the way to England for (and you might have problems with the steering wheel being on the wrong side)[:)][:D][8D]

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
I am not sure if its the same in the USA as in the UK but many of the dealerships are becoming cartels with the same owner having all the dealerships for many miles around the downside is if the main man is not so great the whole cartel tends to be the same. My main criticisms are the failure to inform/follow up or keep in contact with their customers. I have been a MB customer for about 8 years and that has been my experience. I agree they all can,t be the same so if you find a good one stay with them.

I think someone else tried this but if you e-mail all the MB dealers in your area saying you are interested in buying a car give them the details and sit back and see who replies and how keen they appear to be in getting your custom..

gary

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Woolly - 5/17/2005 12:06 AM
...(and you might have problems with the steering wheel being on the wrong side)[:)][:D][8D]
...and I thought your wheel was on the right side...hehehe...LOL...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Motzkoman - 5/18/2005 3:23 PM

...and I thought your wheel was on the right side...hehehe...LOL...[:D][:D][:D]
... after John Cleese's speech, I wouldn't like to further sour Anglo/US relations!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts