Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450SL
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a recomandations for an upholstery dye? Has anybody had any success with any aersol dyes?

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
ostkurve said:
Does anybody have a recomandations for an upholstery dye? Has anybody had any success with any aersol dyes?
If you can hang on for a few, Nobby just did his seats. But he's unavailable for another couple of weeks. I'm sure he'd be happy to share once he's around again.

·
Registered
89 SL RENNtech / 89 AMG 560 SEC
241 Posts
a motorcar paint supplier should be able to get you some .

try talking to a refinisher, maybe he could help you

regards

I completely restored this interior

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,223 Posts
I sprayed my door panels and seats with great success. I used an interior Sherwin Williams automotive interior paint for the door panels and a paint / dye product for the leather seats made by Parasol located in Toronto.

It looks great but only time will tell if it wears well.

PS I have my own paint equipment so I didn't need aerosol.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,223 Posts
That depends on the size of the cracks. I suppose there is someone who could fill, sand and paint them but I imagine the cost would be horrendous. If the cracks are bad, it seems most folks go with the relatively inexpensive 'dash cap' that can be found in various places on the web for between 1 to 2 hundred dollars.

In my case, the cracks were all small...an inch or less. I needed to have the windshield resealed because the original method used in '81 has a flaw that today's method doesn't. While there was no windshield, I masked off the edges of the cracks with tape and the glass guy laid a thin bead of black windshield sealer in each crack. It stretches and gives with the changes in temps and so far, no more cracks in the past year. Fortunately, my dash is black so it was an easy choice.

OK...it's nearly midnight and I just got home from work and posted this reply. Then I reread your post and just realized you said "center console". Duh. Nevermind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts