Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend spilt a drink on my center consol. All over the window switches, fader switch. Now my left side speakers dont work, front and back. Is it the fader switch that caused this problem? I thought the fader switch only controled the front and back, not left and right. Thanks.

·
Registered
1988 300TE 217K miles and counting.
175 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Well, kinda. I left the roof open and it got rained on. I thought the same thing as you too, but this is not the case.

The fader switch on the dash has two channels (four wires) going into it from radio, two for left and two for right. The fader itself simply makes the front or rear quieter by applying resistance to the circuit. There are 4 hot wires and two ground wires going out of the fader. Therefor since the left and the right side are using a common ground, if the ground wire on whichever side failed, you won't get sound on that side.

·
Registered
676 Posts
same problem... what do i dooo??? HOW CAN I FIX IT I NEED ALL SPEAKERS WORKINGGG.... lol my girlfriend spilled coffee on it... i was about to leave her lol damn women ruin the only good thing i liked in my life... haha lol. ughhh i have to many problems for a 16 year old..

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will a new fader switch fix this problem?

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
wire the speakers around the fader. modern headunits have their own faders built in.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im still using the factory Becker.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
1,485 Posts
1985 300CD said:
Will a new fader switch fix this problem?
A new switch will not fix your original problem. You need to get rid of your girlfriend. She will just spill something else on your center console.

·
Registered
1988 300TE 217K miles and counting.
175 Posts
Test to make sure the problem isn't the fader itself.

This can be done easily with a volt-o-meter. You set the meter to ohms and check the resistance between the middle left pin and the rear left pin while you roll the fader fowards. The resistance should start at 0 and increase as you roll the dial away. Now test each of the four channels this way and you know the fader isn't faulty. My bet is that it is the outlet itself.

The proper way to resolve this problem would be to clean each of the I believe theres eight contacts within the socket. Sounds like an easy task. But I decided against it. The contacts on the bottom of the socket are soldered. So you would have to label them then un-solder them. Take each pin out and clean it. Then re-assemble and re-solder. There might be an easier way to clean the contacts. I couldn't get it to work.

I just took four small pieces of 12 gauge wire and hard wired the connections to bypass the switch. I also have replaced the radio with a newer one that has a fader so it wasn't really an issue.

-James

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your help guys. Ill check the fader to see if it still works. As for my Cayenne Omar, its a regular 3.2 V6.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you spilled Coke on it it would be bad, as that is acidic, but coffee should be OK.

To fix your existing fader do the following:

1.) Buy a switch/contact cleaner spray.
2.) Stick your fader into a plastic cup, still connected, with wires attached etc. (cup is to collect the cleaner)
3.) spray the whole thing very liberally with the contact cleaner. (Radio off)
4.) move the dial wheel back and forth many times
5.) spray some more.
6.) move some more.
7.) Dry with a paper towel and continue moving the wheel
8.) leave 5 mins to dry off.
9.) test.

·
Registered
MB 300D turbo 1993, MB 1989 300E converted to diesel
33 Posts
Would a new fader fix it? No!, get rid of yr girlfriend first!

A new switch will not fix your original problem. You need to get rid of your girlfriend. She will just spill something else on your center console.
Good point! You should solve the problem from the roots !

:)
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts