Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 230E w124
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know there have been numerous posts about bypassing fader wheel control, but I seem to be having a problem that hasn't as yet been discussed.

My w124 had a Becker 2-channel deck wired through the fader to 4 speakers. I had the Becker deck replaced with a Pioneer 4-channel deck. The guys who did it said they bypassed the fader. I had the radio on and I moved the wheel in both directions, and surely enough, at that time, the sound wasn't affected. Upon further inspection today when I was moving the fader wheel up and down, I noticed that the sound was still being faded, but only to the front. Basically, when you move the wheel to the rear (in order to fade to the rear) the sound fades to the front (no sound in the back), and when you move the wheel towards the front, the sound is also faded to the front. In short, no matter which direction you turn the fader wheel, the sound will be faded to the front speakers. The sound returns to all speakers when you move the wheel to its centre position. I want to save a trip to the car audio store because they have a reputation of keeping cars for a few days. Can someone explain to me exactly what has been done right and what has been done wrong? Perhaps they spliced/cut the wires but joined only some of them.

And can someone please tell me which wires are which? Which are positive, which are ground, etc. because I've seen conflicting views. I'd rather do all this with some know-how rather than messing it up .

·
Registered
87 300E
7 Posts
Don't know if this will help or hurt. I just had my stereo worked on here in Virginia. the sound was like cardboard.
First
Head unit was wired wrong. only front channels of the pioneer unit were used to feed the wheel on the console yet all four speakers were used on that "side of the AMP. Amp was overheating.
Second
Rewired the unit correctly. Now front channels go to the Font channel of the AMP and Rear channels go to the Rear channel of the Amp. Wheel now goes from front to back with no problem and I need to keep the pioneer in center with the built in fader.

Third.
I was told that the old units in the cars used 2 grounds. one for the unit {radio} and the leads had separate grounds {as in your home system}. Lots of radios use a common ground for the speakers and that will not work on your car if the AMp is to be used. And it should be unless your going to rewire completely.

I would think that the install may have crosswired somewhere and that is the problem or that the roller wheel has gone bad.

In as much as Identifing the wires You can see whats going to your rear speakers from the trunk the dash is an easy removal to see BUT remember they may not match as those leads are from the AMP , Which sould have come from the roller which came from the RADIO. the colors probably will not be the same at the destination.

·
Registered
1991 230E w124
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.

My car does not have a separate amplifier. It just has the headunit, the fader wheel in the console, and the 4 speakers.

My situation is this: the fader in the Pioneer headunit works fine - it fades front when it is set to front, and it fades back when its set to back. It even pans left and right with no problem. However, the console fader is still operational, and that is not what it should be. It should be completely disconnect so that no movement of the wheel will alter the sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts