Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you seen the factory wheels chromed on a black G. I have seen them on the green G that chuck use to work on and they looked pretty good. Just wondering what they would look like on black.

Reason i ask is i distroyed the painted on yesterday on the gravels and mud. My painter guy said it would be about $120-150 a wheel to sand and paint the factory ones again. They have the chrome ones for $550 exchange.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Dont forget though they will get messed up again when you go off-road. So chrome is not a great idea IMO. [^]

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
I think powder coated wheels would be the way to go. Chrome alloy wheels will go south over time because there is an electrolytic reaction in the bead seat area that will cause pitting and air leaks. I have seen this on chromed alloys on 123 chassis wheels and would never do this to wheels I want to keep for a long time. My opinion.

-Dai

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Powder coat

Powder coat also scratches easily enough, and is lots more difficult to fix than paint. For things that are in harms way like wheels, chassis, bumpers, etc. I'll take good old fashioned painted steel any time. The coating hasn't been invented that's tough enough to avoid damage, so the only recourse in my opinion is to make the finish as easily maintainable as possible. Paint fits the bill.

The reason the clearcoated wheels are so expensive to fix is that they have to strip the clearcoat without damaging the aluminum finish beneath it. If the wheels were to be painted some color, the underlying finish wouldn't be quite so important and so when they got scratched up, a quick trip to teh bead blaster and some careful work with a spray can would have them good as new.

I thought the black alloys Harald showed recently were really sharp. Kerr, you should ask your wheel guy how much to strip and paint them black, or else just ask a local bead blaster how much to strip them then do the black-out yourself. (JMO)

-Dave G.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well see the problem is the wife still drive it everyday. She will not go for the black wheels. I have a set of the ones chuck made. I was waiting to buy tires because i want to do the 3" springs as well. But before any of that can be done i have to buy her something to drive. You all know how women are!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts