Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes S350, 1961 Mercedes 220SEB
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I recently commenced this project, and thought I would share it with everyone as I found very little information to help me once I got stuck into it.

My 220 had the stock stereo option with no Bose - reasonable quality sound but all goes to shit once you give it any real volume. After playing with it for a while, I came to the conclusion that the factory amplifier isn't powerful enough to drive all the speakers and the sub, and that the factory speakers are really quite good once the subwoofer is cut out of the equation. So I decided to upgrade the system by keeping all the factory speakers, but removing the subwoofer and installing a new one with its own amplifier. I wanted the car to appear and function completely stock, so my strategy was to install a new 10" subwoofer with the same infinite baffle arrangement in the space occupied by the previous factory subwoofer, albeit in an inverted position with the magnet dropping into the bootspace, reusing the factory ducting into the decklid. I would extend the factory sub's L+R speaker level inputs into the new amplifier placed near the battery in the boot, and run some new speaker wire from the amplifier to the underside of the rear deck. The amplifier I used featured speaker level inputs with signal detection wakeup, variable gain, phase and crossover frequency. I used a Polk Audio 10" 350W RMS subwoofer.

After doing some research, it appears that no one here knows how to remove the factory subwoofer and the rear deck. Undeterred, I proceeded and worked it out - here are the instructions:

1) Remove rear seat bench - there are two push buttons under the bottom lip of the leather where it meets the floor carpet - run your fingers along until you feel the recess and just push it in. Do this on both sides of the car, and the bench can be lifted out.

2) Remove rear seat backrest - there are 3 torx screws along the bottom of the backrest - remove these screws and lift the backrest up about an inch and pull it right out.

3) Remove rear seat headrests - raise the headrest and take a small flathead screwdriver and wedge it under one side of the plastic trim that surrounds the headrest arms as they enter the rear deck lid. You should be able to just pop off the two pieces of plastic trim. Look closely at the holes and you will see small black plastic levers inside - you need to push them down about 0.5cm while pulling the headrest arm out towards the rear of the car. You will need to hold one side of the headrest out a little while you release the arm on the other side. This procedure is identical for the three headrests.

4) Remove deck lid screws - there are two torx screws at the front of the decklid hear the top of the backrest - remove them.

5) Remove c-pillar trim - remove the airbag symbol using a small flathead screwdriver, beneath it you will find a large torx screw - remove it. Push the trim piece up towards the headliner about 1", then pull it out about 2" towards the center of the car. This releases a sliding clip in the center of the trim piece. Pull the trim piece towards the front of the car to remove it completely. Repeat on the other side.

6) Remove subwoofer trim (optional) - take a flathead screwdriver and wedge it under the edge of the subwoofer trim at one end. Twist the screwdriver until you here a snap sound - repeat this about every 2" right the way around the trim. Lift the trim up and out towards the front, removing the brake light cable as you go.

7) Remove the rear decklid - lift the front edge of the decklid up about 3" and pull the decklid out towards the front of the car, disconnecting the brake light cable as you go. To remove the decklid completely from the car, unclip the middle seatbelt surround, and the seatbelt can be slid out of the opening.

8) Subwoofer removal - disconnect the two speaker connectors. At the rear of the subwoofer near the windscreen, there are two plastic clips holding it in the rear deck. Squeeze both clips and lift the subwoofer assembly out of the hole.

9) Insulation removal - remove both boot lights by pulling the out from the sides not facing each other. Disconnect the wires and feed them back through the deck. Slowly remove insulation checking it doesn't get caught on anything.

10) You now have an empty and accessible rear deck!

The subwoofer installation is coming next.

Reactions: roots

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Outside the US, the high end options were just that, optional equipment. I do like that we get so much as standard equipment here.

·
Registered
2001 S430
393 Posts
Yes I'm refreshing this thread because this is missing a big part to getting the subwoofer out. The part where you need get the windscreen out of the way. (For those who have it) You need to undo both botls to almost all the way out. then you can wiggle the subwoofer free and out of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts