Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays Everyone,

I went out to do some log splitting the other day with the Ag spec U900, and to my surprise, I wasn't able to find a circuit on the machine that powered the splitter. I see the tipper is hooked to one of the pressure lines out front, (nothing on the return), then the three point hitch takes the rear circuit, so that covers both the control levers on the steering column, but that should leave me with one whole circuit, plus the other circuits return as empty connections up front, which I played around with, but didn't find the correct set, somehow.

My question is, if I have a dual circuit in the front, and only the tipper is using one pressure line, I thought I would have one to plug the splitter into, and turn the circuit to the on position, and split away, but not the case. What gives?

Thank you for looking!

ACUF

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,447 Posts
Essentially you are missing a return line. The tipper ram only needs a supply, as gravity is the "return". The ways the system works, as you have operated but may not have worked out is that the "float" setting essentialy lets everything run free thus the tipper simply flows back to the resevoir. The free circuit can push, but cannot pull. Most likely, there is a quick disconnect leading to the tipper. Remove that, and hook it to the return, or back pull of your splitter, and all should be good, as long as you are in the cab. Not really splitting scenario stuff. The missing part to all of this is the free flow of hydraulic fluid. I'm not sure how one would force the fluid to the splitter double actuatior. Perhaps tie-in before the line leading to the existing valve box? Not sure if this helps, but it does explain the flow you now are seeing. A wood splitter attachment is one of my future projects. The back and arms hurt right now from doing it the manual method.

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
There are only two circuits even if you have 4 connectors on the front and 2 or more on the back. One of the circuits is shared between the front and the back (can't use both at same time without some "interesting" results).

Your two circuits are used up. The three point uses one (power plus return line), and the dumper uses half of another, the power line.

You can only run one more power out circuit on the 'other half' of your dump circuit, but the splitter requires power AND return.

Some trucks have an extra return hidden somewhere in the back, or in the front. If you can find that extra return hose that can be your return and the 'half circuit', shared by the dumper, can power the splitter.

Otherwise you might have to do what I do. One 406 has only one circuit to the rear (2 hoses, power and return). That runs the 3-point lift 2-way cylinder (lift plus power down). I bought a valve to transfer the two circuits to another function, the splitter. This is the type of valve:

Surplus Center - 1" NPT 40 GPM PRINCE DOUBLE SELECTOR VALVE

but note that this one (the first one I could find to give you ideas) is for 1" NPT connections. You can use a cheaper 1/2" NPT for normal hose size on a 406 mog. Then add flex hoses of length needed, with quick couplers to match your input connectors and the splitter connectors. Note that it takes 6 connections to this valve, 2 input, 2 output circuit 1, 2 for output circuit 2, so lots of little parts need be added.

Option 2:

Drive into location, set the splitter on the ground (or saw horse, etc) with the 3 point. Disconnect the two hoses from the 3-point and connect them to the splitter. Try it, then reverse the connectors so the splitter runs the right direction :) I guarantee you will get it crossed up the first time LOL

The hoses on a non-Case ag spec are not easy to get to. BTW, you don't happen to have a pair of extra hoses run from the front to the back, do you? My 406 ag-spec has two extra hoses. The front ends just hang near the couplers in front. You can disconnect the one hose for the dump bed and plug in the two hoses to the rear...if you have them.

Bob
Happy Holidays Everyone,

I went out to do some log splitting the other day with the Ag spec U900, and to my surprise, I wasn't able to find a circuit on the machine that powered the splitter. I see the tipper is hooked to one of the pressure lines out front, (nothing on the return), then the three point hitch takes the rear circuit, so that covers both the control levers on the steering column, but that should leave me with one whole circuit, plus the other circuits return as empty connections up front, which I played around with, but didn't find the correct set, somehow.

My question is, if I have a dual circuit in the front, and only the tipper is using one pressure line, I thought I would have one to plug the splitter into, and turn the circuit to the on position, and split away, but not the case. What gives?

Thank you for looking!

ACUF

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I noticed another quick connect under the bed. Really dirty, and is close to the three point cylinders. So what does this all mean then? Do I need to make an extension line that goes up to the front from this line? Thanks for the feedback fellas.

ACUF

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
That's a good start. Trace out that extra hose and see where it goes. Most likely it goes to the return circuit to the reservoir.

If so, now you only need to get a hydraulic line from the front to the rear for supply. The available power port is the 'other half' of the control valve you have your tipper connected to. If you "pull back" the lever to tip the dump, then the other half of the circuit will supply power when you "push forward". (You would push the lever forward and lock it to get continuous flow. Then the splitter valve does the valving to operate the splitter.)

If there are no extra lines/hoses run to the back, you can add one. This new line, and the return line that's already there (cleaned!!) will do the trick for the splitter.

Optionally, if there's a quick disconnect on your line to the tipper, you can disconnect it and add a line from the tipper to the rear and use that half of the circuit.

To answer your specific question, no you do not need to make an extension from the extra connector in the back toward the front of the truck. You need to make an extension in order to get power to the rear, not a drain (if that extra connector is a drain...but you must verify that).
Is this making sense?

Bob

Yeah, I noticed another quick connect under the bed. Really dirty, and is close to the three point cylinders. So what does this all mean then? Do I need to make an extension line that goes up to the front from this line? Thanks for the feedback fellas.

ACUF

·
Registered
U1600Ag
1,357 Posts
Otherwise you might have to do what I do. One 406 has only one circuit to the rear (2 hoses, power and return). That runs the 3-point lift 2-way cylinder (lift plus power down). I bought a valve to transfer the two circuits to another function, the splitter. This is the type of valve:

Surplus Center - 1" NPT 40 GPM PRINCE DOUBLE SELECTOR VALVE

but note that this one (the first one I could find to give you ideas) is for 1" NPT connections. You can use a cheaper 1/2" NPT for normal hose size on a 406 mog. Then add flex hoses of length needed, with quick couplers to match your input connectors and the splitter connectors. Note that it takes 6 connections to this valve, 2 input, 2 output circuit 1, 2 for output circuit 2, so lots of little parts need be added.

Option 2:

Drive into location, set the splitter on the ground (or saw horse, etc) with the 3 point. Disconnect the two hoses from the 3-point and connect them to the splitter. Try it, then reverse the connectors so the splitter runs the right direction :) I guarantee you will get it crossed up the first time LOL

The hoses on a non-Case ag spec are not easy to get to. BTW, you don't happen to have a pair of extra hoses run from the front to the back, do you? My 406 ag-spec has two extra hoses. The front ends just hang near the couplers in front. You can disconnect the one hose for the dump bed and plug in the two hoses to the rear...if you have them.

Bob

I am too pondering on how to add a second set of hydraulic hoses to the rear of the truck, controllable from inside the cab. Using one spool lever to get two functions, not at the same time though.

I was looking at an electrically activated switch-over valve (left of pic, bottom, half inch) to split in 2 the one set I got at the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this is starting to make sense. I will have to figure it out from here. I guess what your saying is that the line under the bed is a return, and one of the lines in front is a pressure line?

And the other question was how to lock the lever on the steering column in place to actuate teh continuous flow for the splitter, etc. (it is the type of lever that can be locked into place)

Anyway, pictures may help, if you require some, let me know.

Thanks again,

ACUF

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
If there are no extra lines/hoses run to the back, you can add one. This new line, and the return line that's already there (cleaned!!) will do the trick for the splitter.

Optionally, if there's a quick disconnect on your line to the tipper, you can disconnect it and add a line from the tipper to the rear and use that half of the circuit.

To answer your specific question, no you do not need to make an extension from the extra connector in the back toward the front of the truck. You need to make an extension in order to get power to the rear, not a drain (if that extra connector is a drain...but you must verify that).
Is this making sense?

Bob
There is a spot to add two additional return lines right at the tank. Allows one more to the back and one right up front down by the grill, just like the supply lines on the other side. I have these in stock both used and new. Plus hard steel lines to add two more to the front if you only have two up there now. And three way control valves to free up a line in the rear. This would allow you to use the same supply line for the dump cyl. and the three point hitch.

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know, thanks Von. I had no idea the system was that easily expandable. Your experience reigns. Would you post a few pics?

ACUF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts