Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys...

I didn't actually realize how serious this problem was before i've did a search about it and looked on actually how easy it is to break in to a Vito.

I keep a lot of things in my Van, everything from keys to my Mac to my iPad, everything.

I read someplace here the best solution was to park at a safe place :D Well, it isn't always the case, I often go fishing or stuff, I have countless times left my van at a park without another single car in the 1km radius.

I then come to the idea to fit alarm to my van. I do have the factory central locking, but I believe this does not include the alarm.

I just sent an email to Mercedes to get a price for it.

I want the factory cabin and tilting alarm. I have seen this on V-class, and I believe it can be fitted.

The two switches I'm referring to can be seen here.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/v-class/125697d1177702999-v-pimping-pimped-out-rides-show-cimg2756.jpg

Picture from Sarge's V-Class, found here, (hope you don't mind me using it)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/2349229-post182.html

It is the two switches on top left.

Have anybody done this at their self?

I believe it should be fairly easy as the central locking is there.

Looking forward to hear from you!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it looks like I must go for one of those aftermarket alarms.

I usually have my things hiddden, and my glowbox locked. So, it would take some time. I think. I hope.

·
Premium Member
2008 vito 115 CDI dualiner
435 Posts
is the w638/vclass a canbus system ? didnt think it was

When i had mine fitted to my old 638 vito in 2001 it was definiteley not .

Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you ever tried a Cobra alarm <a href="http://cobracartech.co.uk/alarms-and-immobilisers/938-thatcham-cat-2-1-wireless-canbus-alarm.html#"> this one</a> is Canbus and has protection from key cloning

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,393 Posts
just to throw a spanner in the works.......... from personal bitter experience

the vito immobiliser is a thatcham class 2 device (tested by thatcham, approved by insurers) immobiliser only

to make it into a thatcham class 1 device, immobiliser and alarm... you need to fit a thatcham class 1 alarm to the installed immobiliser....

not only must the alarm be thatcham approved... BUT it MUST be fitted by a thatcham approved installer... NOT DIY or local garage.

As a set-in-my-ways do it myself'er I find it annoying but accept the argument of a lot of wallies out there (I've removed too many bodged alarms from family vehicles) but am not totally happy about it

As for the Thatcham bit (look them up on the net).. approved kit costs a little more.. so do the installers... BUT insurers won't accept a non thatcham alarm as good security (hence bitter personal experience) and can refuse to payout for vandalism and theft of property... the working factory fitted immobiliser means they HAVE to accept liability for theft OF THE VEHICLE.... provided the keys aren't used.

not wanting you to spend good money on a great alarm only to have it treated as nothing by the insurer when a few quid more would have saved any problem.

Thatcham (independent and set up by HMG and insurance industry) have lists of alarms and fitters on their site

malcolm

·
Registered
Vito 114 tourer 2015: Vito 108d 97: 108d 98: Traveliner 2003 ; Aixam; z1100; xbr500; z440 ++++
2,393 Posts
I am glad to hear it ian....... I certainly wasn't calling you an incompetent fitter BUT I don't think EITHER of us would like someone to pay out for a non-thatcham or non-data card'ed unit that wouldn't be paid out on by the insurers.

one day I'll come south and meet up.....

malcolm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts