Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are right down to the wire now with the possibility of four drivers that could win the championship in the final race on Sunday.

In my heart, I would like Mark Webber to win, however given the recent strength and consistency of Ferrari, I think Fernando Alonso will just make it.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
In my heart, I would like Mark Webber to win, however given the recent strength and consistency of Ferrari, I think Fernando Alonso will just make it.
Unfortunately I agree.

I'd love to see Webber win the title but he doesn't have the extra support that Alonso has with his own personal mobile chicane called Felipe Massa.

It reminds me of how many titles MS won with the same situation.:nono: Although Rosberg won't play that game, and quite frankly why should he the way he is dominating his team mate:eek:

If the FIA was serious about team tactics they would have removed the extra points that Alonso got when they swapped places. I'd piss myself laughing if Vettel actually did let Webber through like Massa did for Webber to take the win :D:D :rotfl::rotfl:
But I think that will be highly unlikely.

·
Registered
W124
5,169 Posts
I too would like to see Webber take the WDC. Alonso has had some luck mixed with his driving talent the past few races and it remains to be seen if this can continue. The margin between winning pole and either second or third on the grid is very small. He can't drive defensively as he would like to. This will be very interesting and may the best Aussie win;)

·
Registered
2001 CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
611 Posts
Unfortunately I agree.

I'd love to see Webber win the title but he doesn't have the extra support that Alonso has with his own personal mobile chicane called Felipe Massa.

It reminds me of how many titles MS won with the same situation.:nono: Although Rosberg won't play that game, and quite frankly why should he the way he is dominating his team mate:eek:

If the FIA was serious about team tactics they would have removed the extra points that Alonso got when they swapped places. I'd piss myself laughing if Vettel actually did let Webber through like Massa did for Webber to take the win :D:D :rotfl::rotfl:
But I think that will be highly unlikely.
I don't think it is unlikely that Vettel would let Webber through, if it meant a Drivers Championship for Webber, instead of Alonso getting it....

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
What a qualifying session! I was very hopeful that Rosberg can make it on the front or second row, anyway I sure hope that Webber can bounce back and pass Alonso! I really want Webber to win the WDC.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
All I can say is...........

Webber lost it in qualifying, then by not pitting with the MS/Liuzzi crash.:(

Ferrari just lost it worrying about Webber.:confused:

Vettel won it by qualifying on top and driving well.:)

.................bugger!:(

IMO the big winner is the action that unfolded this year.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm just happy that Alonso did not win it. Vettel drove an excellent race and Lewis was did his best, overall it was a thrilling race and I am glad that Schumi still has his head on his shoulders ( that was very close )!

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
^^^

Terrifyingly close - if Liuzzi's front suspension hadn't broken when it made contact with the Mercedes, the front tire would have crushed Schumie's skull. If Schumacher decides to not return next year, I'm willing to bet it was today's near-death experience instead of the season's results that makes his mind up.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A thrilling race to end the season :bowdown:

Vettel came through under the wire with a great race, and an unexpected WDC result, well done to him :thumbsup:

Let's hope next season will as exciting as this one was not predicted to be :D

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,706 Posts
All I can say is...........

Webber lost it in qualifying, then by not pitting with the MS/Liuzzi crash.:(

Ferrari just lost it worrying about Webber.:confused:

Vettel won it by qualifying on top and driving well.:)

.................bugger!:(

IMO the big winner is the action that unfolded this year.:thumbsup:
+ 1 Vettel's qualified over half a second quicker than Webber and drove a perfect race.
Well deserved.
I hope the 2011 season will be as thrilling as 2010.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
Yes, thank God F1 has drama and excitement again. Great season, maybe the best in many years.

·
Registered
2002 E320 210.065
91 Posts
The real question is What happened to Mark Webber?
He didn't show his best in qualifying and drove a middle-of-the-pack race.
I think there is a story there...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I think the Renault was just too fast for both Alonso and Webber, Petrov drove well too!
Plus the track in Abu Dhabi does not offer too many overtaking oportunities. I still think this was the best season that I've followed since the late 80's.
Now we need Mercedes GP to step it up and fight for the title next year!

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me the man of the race is Petrov. Congratulations to Vettel and Red Bull and I am glad Schumi is ok after that frightening crash. Can't wait for the 2011 season to start.

·
Registered
2001 CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
611 Posts
"I think there is a story there" I agree, Webber did not even try to get by Alonso, when he (Alonso) went off-course....

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,706 Posts
Conspiracy theories, I doubt it.
Previous odd ball statements sounded as if he was psyching himself out.
I think he dropped the ball, period.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I think he dropped the ball, period.
I agree.

I think he would have been horrified to see Alonso come out of the pits in front of him. As Alonso couldn't get past Petrov Webber couldn't keep on the tail of Alonso. Especially as sitting close to the rear of the car in front buggers your tyres.
Bad luck for Webber, stupid mistake for Ferrari/Alonso

Re Q3 He just couldn't get it right and it cost him the race and the championship.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts