Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I have own my CLK since 2009. I just replace the rear brakes and front lower control arms (first time I did the rear brakes). I had almost every single front suspension parts replaced 2 years ago minus the end links and front strut. I was complaining that it was still clunking, MB could not figure it out and other mechanics. This mechanic found the clunking noise it was coming from the front sway bar bushing. I'm getting it replace tomorrow and while we are at it he is going to replace the end link just so that I have a fresh end link in there. Still need to order 1 wheel lug stud after I get the shank measurement.

We also notice an oil leak from the trans again. This time we think it's the front main seal. I'm going to get MB to look at it. I had the rear main seal and conductor plate replace before :crybaby2: :surrender:

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
Our cars are 10 years old so we should expect to change some parts. I drive a 2004 w209 and I now have 180k miles.

In the past 12 months, I have replaced:
1. Serpentine belt, idler pulley, tension pulley, crankshaft pulley
2. Conductor plate
3. Windshield
4. Alternator
5. 2 tie rods
6. Engine and transmission mounts
7. Left side mirror turn signal

Item 1 and 6 were done on the premises of preventive maintenance. The rest were done because they broke down.
Your life is fine, you are driving a great car. Admittedly it's a lot of work but it's worth the efforts.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
mis3

My CLK is also 10 years old now. I have replaced none of the items you have listed - in fact nothing at all. To be fair, I have only done a quarter of your mileage, which must explain my lack of wear.

I'm a retired guy now, but I wish that I'd had a CLK at the time I was doing 10k to 20k miles a year...:)

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
To be fair, the only wear-and-tear items in the list were conductor plate, alternator and the turn blinker.

The windsheild was cracked becaus of rock chips on the highway. This si the cost of day-to-day driving, nothing we can do.

As for the tie rod, I hit the curb hard one day and damaged the right tie rod. Since I had to do an alignment after the tie rod replacement, I replaced the left tie rod as well.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,033 Posts
Oh, you want an FLM moment? I was washing the car Saturday. I went to lift the passenger side wiper blade off the windshield and the plastic clip on it broke so the blade came off the arm, and then then arm slammed back down onto the class and cracked it! :mad:

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Wow.. I must remember to always lift them by the arms.

By coincidence I was also messing with my windscreen wipers last week. I've been waiting for the factory-fitted blades to die for the past 2 years, with replacements waiting in my garage. When I came to fit them recently, I found that the new ones are slightly different, as the sliding caps are now part of the blade and do not come off.

But annoyingly the new blades would not go on either, and the sliding cap seemed to get jammed before it was right home. I checked that I had bought the right items, and that was OK.

MB part no. 203 8201945 -which is a set of 2 blades. Not left & right as suggested by ASRA. They appear to be identical.

To my embarrassment, the parts guy had to come out and do the trick later. It seems that much more effort is required to complete the fitting, and I was scared of breaking something. That's the way it is sometimes. If you know your'e doing it right, you just try harder!

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,033 Posts
Just another reason I despise the CLK's "proprietary" wiper blade attachment. I still think i want to retrofit a more standard style connection.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have parts sitting for awhile now. Never got around to get to them
1. Motor/Trans mount
2. A/C Flap Actuator
3. Spark plugs/wires and coil packs

Still need to order
(2) rear tires (soon to order)
(1) front rims (soon to order)
(2) front struts (on my next to order)

On the back burner
Cup holder don't slide back anymore (spring came out)

After talking to my mechanic. He said let's not worry about the front main seal right now. Will worried about it when it start getting worse.

Quick question when do you replace the rear diff oil?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Quick question when do you replace the rear diff oil?
As far as I know - never. (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong...:))

It's not like the auto transmission where the ATF gets quite hot and 'could' degrade. It is changed on AWD vehicles, I believe.

·
Registered
2008 CLK 550 Convertible
76 Posts
speaking of wipers... Mine are still ok, but I was at an advanced auto parts store a week ago getting new blades for my Honda Pilot, and asked the manager about MB wipers. He pulled up their computer records and said that the replacement blades for my 2008 CLK 550 are about $25 each, can be ordered and installed for free by them. Is he entirely wrong?

·
Registered
2004 CLK320
371 Posts
speaking of wipers... Mine are still ok, but I was at an advanced auto parts store a week ago getting new blades for my Honda Pilot, and asked the manager about MB wipers. He pulled up their computer records and said that the replacement blades for my 2008 CLK 550 are about $25 each, can be ordered and installed for free by them. Is he entirely wrong?
In my delaership, our wipers are $35CAN each 3 years ago.
If they are going to install them, if they do not have to force them in or change the chips, why not?

I am reluctant to change wiper blades because last time I changed them , they did not clean the windshield well. The SA had to bent the wiper arm to get them to work properly.

·
Registered
2006 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
42 Posts
Just another reason I despise the CLK's "proprietary" wiper blade attachment. I still think i want to retrofit a more standard style connection.
Oh my gosh! Dang that sucks! What does a replacement set you back? Does AL have a law about insurance replacing cracked windscreens? GA doesn't. That would be a cash expense. ..

·
19,033 Posts
Yep, that's about right. You can shop around online and get them for maybe a few $$ less, but then you might have to pay shipping.

·
19,033 Posts
Oh my gosh! Dang that sucks! What does a replacement set you back? Does AL have a law about insurance replacing cracked windscreens? GA doesn't. That would be a cash expense. ..
Alabama does not require free glass replacements, but I carry a $250 deductible so that's all I'll pay. Like I said, it's low and not even visible from inside, so I'm going to wait to do anything about it.

·
Registered
2006 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
42 Posts
I ordered a pair from autohauz. Last time I got them they were the OEM blades. This last batch were Bosch and I've had them a month and they're not working right already. Both cost me $50 shipped. Very disappointed with the Bosch.

·
19,033 Posts
I do not like the Bosch blades. It was the plastic clip on the Bosch that broke and left me with a cracked windshield. I wish I could get RainX wipers for the CLK. I put a pair on the C240 a few years ago and theyhave been great.

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Last week I made some progress.
(2) rear tires already mounted
(1) front replacement rim mounted
Had to purchase 25 lug studs they won't sell me only (1). I have (24) as spares.
Pair of front struts is being shipped
Replaced (1) HID ballast was under warranty.

Now the front passenger side marker bulb keep going out. I just replace the bulb about 5 weeks ago. Do I need to to get Can-Bus bulb instead of regular local auto parts store bulb?

·
19,033 Posts
There is nothing special about the side marker bulbs - just get the right part (unless you go LED, then you do need CAN bus bulbs so they draw the correct current). Check the socket - they can tend to get corroded.

·
Registered
CLK500, BMW X3
31 Posts
past couple months I have done the following:
front tires
Voltage Regulator
Forward front control arms
alignment
front brakes (will be done this week or next)
Transmission mount

car has 85k on it, 2004 CLK500

next up will be motor mounts and drivers side window switch unit (I he-manned it and now the auto up does not work on the drivers side)

·
Registered
2016 GLE 400 4Matic
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks rudeny.

Today was a nightmare to do front struts. I have done plenty on Honda/Acura. Giving you all heads up you do need that Mercedes Benz socket tool to remove the spring from the strut. If you don't have it don't do the front struts on your own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts