Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow MB drivers, just felt like sharing a story.

So I was driving with my girlfriend on the way to her cousins house, and I exited off the main highway in NJ. There were 2 lanes, and as I was driving on the right lane, there was a Black GMC Denali cruising to the left of me. Next thing I know, I see him try to get on the right lane, but unfortunately he ended up sideswiping me. By the sound of the accident, it sounded like my car was dented pretty bad. We both stop, and did the normal routine, asking if each other was okay. We check my car for bumps or scratches, and there was a minor black scrape on the fender on the driver side. The front left rim also had some black scrapes on it. It looked like it would've took some repairing to get the rim cleaned up. But then i tried scratching off the black scrapes with my nail, and surprisingly it came off easily, So did the scrape on the fender. My mirror also folded all the way because of the collision. I expected there to be a pretty good scratch on it, but I check it carefully and there was no mark or scratch to be seen. We check his car, and the passenger side his door had a good portion of it scratched, and he then tried to wipe it off, but nothing came off. He seemed nervous, as he didn't ask for insurance or any information from me. I get home, and I took some soap and water, put some elbow grease, and all of the scratches on the rim and fender eventually came off. That was my first accident, and I'm very lucky that's how it turned out. But what would've you guys done in that situation after inspecting your car? Ask to exchange information? Im seventeen, so I was pretty shaken up since that was my first accident, hopefully my last. Btw, I'm not a crazy driver at all. Safe & careful all the way! :) Thank god MB has good quality cars, or it could've just been I was lucky at that time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
First of all, glad you and your GF are alright.
Second, glad your car is alright.
Third, always remember "CYA". Cover your, uh, butt. That means exchanging information and filing a police report. (Of course, personal safety takes precedence, so if you feel threatened, get the heck outta there. You can file a report later. At least get a license plate number.) Remember that in most (if not all) states, it's illegal to drive away from the scene of an accident.

Take care! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
In any situation get insurance information, even if the damage seems to be light or non existent. There is always the chance for "hidden" damage that you can't see. If it wasn't your fault, then you will at least get a professional to come out and look at your car, and tell you if there is anything wrong with it. Heck, you could have had someone else get those scratches out, re-wax the car, and maybe get a nice detail out of it. If he/she seemed nervous as you stated, then maybe something was up. Always always always get insurance information or something. Glad you and the gf are OK and way to go Benz!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
bad idea to walk..err, drive away from an accident. always take the other person's information (driver's license, insurance, plates, etc) and take photos if possible. In some states, you must call the police and file a report at the scene, regardless of extent of damage. In some cases, if you're not at fault and are willing to let the other guy off, you should make a simple written statement of fault and resolution, signed by both parties. A copy for each. That way the other person cannot come after you. I've heard of too many stories where the person is not at fault and drives away on verbal agreement, but comes back to haunt them with hit-and-run or something ridiculous. Always be wary of frauds and cons. But glad to hear that all is safe.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
bad idea to walk..err, drive away from an accident. always take the other person's information (driver's license, insurance, plates, etc) and take photos if possible. In some states, you must call the police and file a report at the scene, regardless of extent of damage. But glad to hear that all is safe.
I agree with above. As a licensed driver that drill should be common knowledge, it's for your protection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its not that I didn't drive away from the accident, we both pulled over to check if there was any damage. Fortunately there was none on mine but on his there was a pretty good scratch on his. He didn't ask for insurance or anything, he just asked if I was okay and when we were done inspecting each others cars we both just drove away after. By the way he was reacting to the situation, it seemed like he was scared? because he knew he was at fault and was ready to leave whenever he had the chance. I forgot to say, I did get his license plate number. But still, I know it was my mistake that I should've gotten his information. Hopefully I won't have to deal with that situation again in the future.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Hopefully I won't have to deal with that situation again in the future.
Most likely you will eventually, even if it's not your fault.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Always, Always get the other drivers information (liscence number, liscence plate number, proof of insurance). And, not to doubt your story but, if you and an SUV "bumped" into each other while driving. There has to be SOME damage to your car.

Quick story; I was eating at an outside table/cafe when I watched two cars backing out of parking spots at the same time, sure enough, BAM, right into each other. They were each only moving at 2 to 5mph but one of them almost lifted up off the ground. They both stop, pull back into their spots and each (two women) get out to say they're sorry and look at each others cars and I can hear them saying how "ooh it looks like nothing happened". They are about to say "see ya" when I just had to get up and stick my nose in. I tell them that they should both just exchange information "just in case". Because as I am talking to them I can clearly see that both bumpers are now tweaked and I know from experiance that something as simple as that can be $1,500.00 or more to repair. And I'm thinking how I would apriciate it if someone did the same for my wife insted of her coming home and explaining how she "bumped" into someone and me going out to find a bunch of damage that I have to pay to repair.
Now in my story, it could be considered that both parties were at fault but in yours, The Danali driver should be fixing the repairs that you so miraculously escaped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts