Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after I repaired my truck's extensive rust problems and re-painted it I was getting pretty nervous driving around Chicago. This city tends to overuse road salt quite a bit.
I also wanted to paint my fender flares to match my body color, but the plastic used is not suitable for paint and would quickly chip/peel.
So I got the best of both worlds by having the flares and lower body work coated with color matching spray-on bedliner. Looks complete and provides a rustproof and bangproof barrier between the trails and the body.
I thought I'd share some pics before I add them to my site http://www.gwagen.us

·
Registered
02 G500
63 Posts
Great idea! I am wondering if you could buy this stuff by the gallon and apply it selectively with a brush? I believe this stuff is called instacoat. The Dept of transportation has approved it as a container. I know this because the Dept of Energy ships Hazardous waste after it has been sprayed on.

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can buy a product that I use often called <a href="http://www.herculiner.com">Herculiner</a>, which can be applied with either a roller or a paintbrush. It's a bit grittier and only comes in three colors, black, grey, and red. I used it on the inside of my body panels when I replaced them during the restoration.
The product I had professionally sprayed on is <a href="http://www.rhinolinings.com/RL/main/">Rhino Lining</a>. It can only be sprayed on by a certified dealer. You can get Black, red, grey, green and blue linings, but they also custom match specific colors for $150 extra. You can't just buy the stuff and roll it on, as it is actually pigment you buy and the stuff they spray is a two part polyurethane material that comes out simultaneously from the specific sprayers at their facility.

·
Registered
85 300GD LWB
501 Posts
Mike G. - 3/22/2005 6:05 AM

.... I used it on the inside of my body panels when I replaced them during the restoration....
Mike,

I'm curious as to what you put on the backside of the panels in the areas where they were being welded? I have used weld thru primer in the past but it still worries me about rust after the weld is done and out of sight. Did you use any other rust inhibitor on the backside of the panels?

tx

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Great job, that stuff is flexible enough to last. Another product that I liked better than Rhino is Line-X. There is a place in Schaumburg that shoots it. My aborted 67 Camaro Convertible was going to have the inside of all body panels, underside, and frame sprayed. It is also a great sound insulator. That project never got off the ground[V]. I wish I would have done it to my 1966 230S (111.010).

POR-15 is also a great product. Using both would protect metal for a long time.

·
Registered
1980 250GD Cabrio
227 Posts
mb230s - 3/24/2005 10:08 AM

There is a place in Schaumburg that shoots it.

What is the cost on shooting the underside. My cabrio is entirely without rust and I worry every time I see a salt truck spewing copious amounts of salt on the road when it is even threatening to snow.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
engnenk - 3/24/2005 2:53 PM

mb230s - 3/24/2005 10:08 AM

There is a place in Schaumburg that shoots it.

What is the cost on shooting the underside. My cabrio is entirely without rust and I worry every time I see a salt truck spewing copious amounts of salt on the road when it is even threatening to snow.
Not really sure, I had to back out of the project b/c I busted up my wrist pretty good. No wrenching this year. I doubt they could do an assembled vehicle's underbelly. Too much masking and they need to get at it. My plan was to flatbed the components there (using my G of course) for treatment unassembled. I'd use POR-15 if I were you. You can do that yourself and it will last a long long time.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
I used the same type of stuff (Line-X) on my running boards and tail light guards. The stuff is great and they guarantee against any rust.

I am VERY IMPRESSED with the color matching. They did a great job!

Chuck

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
I'm debating having my bumpers and end caps either Rhino'd or Line-X'd in Brilliant Silver. Besides getting my Puch grill stolen the bumpers and end caps are getting all sorts of scratches from those that think hitting my truck is good parking sense.
(I need a garage)

Mike - How good does the color match and has it faded at all? How does it hold up to bumps and scrapes? Where did you get it done?

Chuck - same questions on Line-X except I won't be travelling to FL to get it done!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts