Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature here has been below zero for the past few days. Three days ago when I drove home from work I noticed that I was getting the "ABC / Visit Workshop" message on my 2003 SL500. Rather than visiting the workshop I visited KFC to get something for dinner. When I got up to the drive thru order speaker spot I rolled down the driver's window and when the window got to the bottom of its travel there was a loud "POW" and the sound of something rattling around inside the door. My first thought was "Holy Crap... someone is shooting at me!". Once I collected myself and got to thinking about what had happened I suspected that the window had gone down past the limit switch and busted off the switch or some sort of plastic stop. The window reluctantly went back up (and I haven't had the guts to roll it back down).

After spending the night in my heated garage the "ABC" warning message did not reappear the next morning during the drive to work. The car sat all day in sub-zero temperatures with light snow. When I left work also sorts of weirdness happened. First off, my keyless ignition would not work. It was like the car didn't think I had my foot on the brake pedal. The headlights (which were in the "automatic" setting) flashed on and off in one second intervals, the windshield wipers moved in 3 inch sequential increments and the red "ABC / Drive carefully" message appeared. After letting the car warm up for 10 minutes the lights stopped flashing, the windshield wipers resumed normal operations but the ABC message stayed on.

I'm now wondering if the cold hasn't FUBARed a computer module which is now not processing switch/sensor inputs as all the problems seem to have a switch/sensor component associated with them. Anybody else have a similar situation... and if so, what was the problem/fix?

·
Registered
1992 500 SL
20 Posts
Wow, maybe its haunted.

I do not know about the window noise, but my SL55 had some issues in cold weather when the battery was low. Replacing the battery helped me but my issues were not as bad as yours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts