1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1979 350SLC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused:
hello
i noticed the extra cooling fan in a 1984 500SL:D ....
does anyone know if it was stock? or did someone attache it later?

I have a 1979 slc and the temp reaches 105 in stop and go traffic but once i'm driving in the highway it goes back to about 88.

is it easy to install that extra fan?

with a new clean radiator and that extra fan, should i expect extreeeme cooling to the engine?:cool:

thanks

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,682 Posts
1979 350slc said:
:confused:
hello
i noticed the extra cooling fan in a 1984 500SL:D ....
does anyone know if it was stock? or did someone attache it later?

I have a 1979 slc and the temp reaches 105 in stop and go traffic but once i'm driving in the highway it goes back to about 88.

is it easy to install that extra fan?

with a new clean radiator and that extra fan, should i expect extreeeme cooling to the engine?:cool:

thanks
If you have AC then you should have that fan. I don't know if every model / year had the electric fan. The condenser that is mounted in front of your radiator restricts air flow; more so when the car is not moving and the primer fan is spinning at idle. When the engine reaches a set temperature, the sensor triggers a relay which turns on the fan.

·
Registered
1979 350SLC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heat problem

thank you for the info,

but if i add the extra fan, will that fix the heat problem?

because in the summer the temp here in Kuwait reaches 45-51 degres.

so i wanna know what to do to prevent over heating (regardless of expense)> should i put a bigger radiator or what to do excatly.

so far i spend $2.80 a gallon on unleaded high octane gas (99)... so keeping the car cool is a must for me> need your help

picks of 1979 350SLC :) for you to see

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Your lucky to get 99octane, wow! That's the stuff dreams are made of. You also probably don't have too much traffic police so you get to burn some of that 99octane.

See if you can find a bitchin thick aluminum radiator, that should keep you running cooler. That's what the guys at the drag strip run, a thick aluminum radiator.

·
Registered
1979 350SLC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
daryn said:
Your lucky to get 99octane, wow! That's the stuff dreams are made of. You also probably don't have too much traffic police so you get to burn some of that 99octane.

See if you can find a bitchin thick aluminum radiator, that should keep you running cooler. That's what the guys at the drag strip run, a thick aluminum radiator.
thanks
is there a part # for that radiator? where can i get it from?

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
1979 350slc said:
thanks
is there a part # for that radiator? where can i get it from?
The type of radiator Daryn speaks of is not a standard item and would have to be custom built to fit your car. Adding the electric cooling fan would probably be the easiest thing to do. Find a 107 with what you want at a salvage yard. Grab the fan, mounting brackets, relays, and coolant temp switch. Take pictures and notes as you remove the stuff and install it on your car remembering that you may not need the A/C switch.

ps...looking at the manual climate control panel in your pics, looks like you have A/C...has someone removed the cooling fan? If so you may still have the switches and relay in place...and as Nobby said, with A/C you should have the fan from the factory.

·
Registered
1979 350SLC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
isthisdave said:
The type of radiator Daryn speaks of is not a standard item and would have to be custom built to fit your car. Adding the electric cooling fan would probably be the easiest thing to do. Find a 107 with what you want at a salvage yard. Grab the fan, mounting brackets, relays, and coolant temp switch. Take pictures and notes as you remove the stuff and install it on your car remembering that you may not need the A/C switch.

ps...looking at the manual climate control panel in your pics, looks like you have A/C...has someone removed the cooling fan? If so you may still have the switches and relay in place...and as Nobby said, with A/C you should have the fan from the factory.
thanks
well originally my SLC is Swiss, out there the summer will reach a high of 28degrees, therefore they had an A/C but did not have a factory fan because it never gets above 28 degrees. but here in Kuwait it can easily reach 52 degrees in the summer

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,951 Posts
1979 350slc said:
thanks
well originally my SLC is Swiss, out there the summer will reach a high of 28degrees, therefore they had an A/C but did not have a factory fan because it never gets above 28 degrees. but here in Kuwait it can easily reach 52 degrees in the summer
That is least likely to be the reason.
In another post here i said that I do not have AUX fan (80 450, Africa) and I saw same thing on 2 more cars.

·
29,682 Posts
Djenka018 said:
That is least likely to be the reason.
In another post here i said that I do not have AUX fan (80 450, Africa) and I saw same thing on 2 more cars.
I built a hot rod years ago with a big block chev engine that hated to idle cool. I added an electric fan with a toggle switch and....Bob's your uncle.

I removed all that stuff from my SL. Kuwait is a long ways away.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
nobby said:
I built a hot rod years ago with a big block chev engine that hated to idle cool. I added an electric fan with a toggle switch and....Bob's your uncle.

I removed all that stuff from my SL. Kuwait is a long ways away.
Do not quite get you.
I hate the fact I do not have that fan and As soon as I find original fan and parts I'll install. Just do not want to settle for 105 Celsius in slow traffic. maybe you want to sell me all the parts you removed?

Lack of fan was not due to his car coming from Swiss market... almost to say aux fan was "US spec car" feature only (1971-1980)

·
Registered
1979 350SLC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Digmenow said:
Mine came standard.
i have added a new fan, it helped a lot with cooling while driving in slow traffic keeps the engine steady 90, however if the car is stuck in traffic or stays for 3+ minutes, the temp reaches 110 and oil pressure goes to (1).
will it be ok to remove the thermostat since it always hot in KUWAIT ?

would i gain significant cooling by doing so? and what side effects will that have on the engine as appose to driving it with 115 degrees?

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,747 Posts
You could remove the thermostat, the only problem might be that the engine won't warm up at all. But if it does, you're good to go.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
flyboyike said:
You could remove the thermostat, the only problem might be that the engine won't warm up at all. But if it does, you're good to go.
In that case, keep a piece of cardboard in the trunk for occasional use as a thermostat.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You could go with a few celsius down on thermostat.

I would not go without thermostat.
Maybe you need to try cleaning/new radiator? Are radiators expensive there?

·
Registered
'79 450 SLC
456 Posts
Or just pay for a professional engine and radiator flush. Dropped the temp in mmine and it idles even better

·
29,682 Posts
Removing the thermostat is not the answer. The engine was designed with one for a reason. Mine was stuck open when I got my SL and even driving 16 hours straight from SC the engine never achieved over 75C which in turn would never allow the idle to come down. Not so bad in a stick but would be hard on a granny trani.

If anyone wants my AC parts they are welcome to them for shipping costs.
Absolutely NO warranty!

·
Registered
1979 350SLC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
B-McD said:
Or just pay for a professional engine and radiator flush. Dropped the temp in mmine and it idles even better
thanks i did a complete professional engine and radiator flush last month but the problem is that the Temp in the summer reaches 48-52degrees and in the winter 7-18degress, so i would assume that with out the thermostat the engine might take longer to warm from starting it in the morning but will cool the engine better because its tooooo hot here in kuwait average is 50 degrees. but i do not wanna do anything that may have side effects on the car.
should i remove the thermostat ? or

should i install a bigger non-mercedes radiator?

or i can just stop driving the car from June-october

·
Registered
380 SL 1983
37 Posts
Went through the same issues this year on my 380SL. Be Sure to check your fan clutch. Very hard to determine if working properly or not. I temporarily locked the fan so it spun with the speed of the engine. This helped some so I replaced the fan clutch. Next I put my Third Thermostat in which was a lower temp (75C) and this really helped a bunch. I tried to run without a thermostat but my 380SL did not like it at all and actually heated up.

So:
Make sure your fan clutch is 100%.
Make sure your stat is good as they love to fail or fail open partially. Even new ones!!! Really screws you up when a new part does not work properly.

Regarding the Aux fan. I tried to run mine to help the problem but was really not the answer. IT does help, has to, but may just be a bandaid for the real issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts