Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SEC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been planning to snag, at a junk yard, a couple of tail-light sockets to snap into the empty holes where the European fog lights go. But I haven't had the time because that's an all-day trip for me because our biggest local yard has "One '73 Mercedes, I think."

Looking at eBay, I found a guy who's selling just the sockets (used), with factory color-coded wire soldered on to them, instructions with photos, two bulbs, and two quick connectors if you don't want to solder. $11.99 + $5 shipping (would have cost me more than that for gas to the junk yard). I ordered a set after midnight and it was shipped later that morning (seller has excellent feedback). Soldered the ends of the wire to the existing brake light connection and now I'm lighting up twice as much back there. He sells the kits for different chassis, so a search on any combination of "MERCEDES W126 126 BRAKE LIGHT UPGRADE S CLASS" should get you there (after I bought mine, the W126 was missing for a couple of days, but it's back now). No connection here, just a happy customer. Someday I'll look into a dual-filament set-up so I can have brake lights and running lights there. I've driven behind my car--those lights are pretty anemic for such a big expanse of colored plastic.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,771 Posts
This would be a nice addition to our DIY. Could you please put a write up there?
Cheers

·
Registered
1986 560 SEC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure--should I just post this in that thread? Or a paraphrase of the instructions as well (they're quite simple, so it wouldn't be too involved)? I'm not sure of the preferred format there.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,771 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This was one of the first things I did to my 126, as I agree, the brake lights are weak.

The bonus, in addition to having five brake light bulbs instead of three, is the two inner ones, the new ones, are brighter as there isn't the same fluting on the inside of the lens. Sure, you lose the rear fog light capability, but I was planning on sticking an old, under-bumper one on, eventually.

When my wife was behind me, not long after I did this, when we got home she said, "those aren't Mercedes brake lights!" I explained what I did, and she smiled, knowing I was being my car-geek self.

Actually, I'd make the OEM brake lights the dual-filament ones, as they'd be borderline huge. I like how the rear light signature of the car changes significantly when you apply the brakes. I think this is overlooked as useful in getting a person's attention.

Then again, I want all bulbs to have one dedicated purpose. I'm putting in city lights when I find a set of TYC euro headlights so the corner lights can be only turn signals.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put those into my 83 300SD and they look great plus it has to make you more visable when braking. Good product, simple install.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I just ordered me some too! Need all the additonal brake lights back there to get these foolish driver's attention!!!

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
This was one of the first things I did to my 126, as I agree, the brake lights are weak.

Actually, I'd make the OEM brake lights the dual-filament ones, as they'd be borderline huge. I like how the rear light signature of the car changes significantly when you apply the brakes. I think this is overlooked as useful in getting a person's attention.

Then again, I want all bulbs to have one dedicated purpose. I'm putting in city lights when I find a set of TYC euro headlights so the corner lights can be only turn signals.
mckellyb hits a homerun on this thinking. I was driving behind a trailer being towed that had it's lights on during the day and the transition when the brakes lights came on was minimal. NOT GOOD! The larger the difference in lighting between running and braking will be the most notable and get more attention by the girl puting on mascara while talking on the cell phone behind you :) I've got renewed interest in making some pcb panels closely loaded with high output 20 degree view angle LED's that will fit inside the unused rear lens and also go into a third brake light on the rear deck now that I have one!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks, I really do appreciate it. I have original ideas, at times....

This is my biggest beef with integrated stop/tail/turn lights, like what are on probably 75% of American cars...genius! One bulb controls all the lighting on one side. Brilliant!!

The turn signals NEED to be separate, if not amber, and while I said I'd like to make the OEM stop bulb dual filament, I've changed my mind. The tail lights are markers, that's all, and ours are the perfect size and visiblity unless you have an oil-burner which hasn't been cleaned in a few years.

I'm all for dedicated stop, tail and turn bulbs, but I'm in the minority, and I'd ideally like to see at least two bulbs per side, for each purpose, though I know I'm dreaming on that one.

Yes, the rear light assemblies would be large, but y'know what, that's what they are for, to be seen!

·
Registered
1986 560 SEC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The larger the difference in lighting between running and braking will be the most notable and get more attention by the girl puting on mascara while talking on the cell phone behind you :)
So, the next time I drive behind myself while putting on my mascara and talking on the cell phone, I won't run into myself. But will my extra brake lights also protect me from the the boy behind me sparking up a bowl while talking on his cell phone?

Good thing I have room in the drawer for both my mascara and my soldering iron. :)

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
So, the next time I drive behind myself while putting on my mascara and talking on the cell phone, I won't run into myself. But will my extra brake lights also protect me from the the boy behind me sparking up a bowl while talking on his cell phone?

Good thing I have room in the drawer for both my mascara and my soldering iron. :)
Depends on many factors; quality of the tree, one hit or party bowl, number of hits taken, and whether he blazes at the moment you apply the brakes :)

·
Registered
1986 560 SEC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I have to keep track of all that, I'll be the one hitting the Civic in front of me!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Nighttime is the best way to illustrate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300CD, 1983 240TD Euro
2,652 Posts
B4 & After

More dramatic with this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
That ebay kit price is very reasonable considering when I did it myself a few years ago I spent just a couple of bucks less by running to the junk yard to get the sockets, picking up the bulbs, then spending the time to do the search on which wires to solder. If I hadn't already done this upgrade I would buy the kit in a heartbeat. I also added a third brake light to my amg spoiler when I installed that and another 3rd brake light when I installed a 1991 rear package tray to my 1984 sec. It's amazing how people stay way back from me when I hit the brakes at night!

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
I just finished putting them in about 20 minutes ago. Took me a total of about 30 minutes to finish both sides with the soldering. Big difference already!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts