Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Silver SLK200
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Since a couple of days when I turn the lights on the "exterior lamp warning" goes on also.

If I turn the lights off then back on sometimes it disappears, sometimes not.

I checked my lights but I did not see anything wrong...

Any idea?

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Also check the tag lights. They can go out and you not notice. There are two and if one goes out, you can go nuts trying to find the darn burned out light, cause it is hard to see just one light out on the tag.

Regards

·
Registered
'99 Silver SLK200
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlueBenz - 3/22/2005 8:58 AM

sounds like you've got the dreaded brake-light arcing issue.
Do you mean that it is a well known problem ?
...Any reference/link for me ?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Do a search, there are many threads.............

This has been a problem since the 1998 model year here in the States, and before that in Europe.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
RE: Do a search, there are many threads.............

Yeah, I'm on my third set of lights. Think I'm gonna get some off of e-bay and modify with led lights plus resistors....that way there won't be enough current to arc those suckers and ruin another set.

Regards

·
Registered
1998 230SLK
4 Posts
Hey, new to the forum and have this problem on my 1998 230SLK. How do I check to see if this is arc'ing? Do I just need to replace bulbs?

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
The ultimate fix is to replace the light assembly. Some have fixed it with a little conducting grease. Once the board in the light assembly is toast, you have to replace the assembly to fix the problem.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
I was trailing another SLK230 today and the first time he applied his brakes, only the high center and right brake light came on. At the next traffic light, only the left brake light and high center light came on. For the finale, at the next light, only his high center light came on. I gave some consideration to flagging him down and telling him what was happening, then he turned off onto a different road and was gone. I wondered if he had any idea what was going on with his tail lights.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
Well, it finally happened to me! I had noticed for a few weeks now the 'warning bulb out' light would come on intermittently yet when I checked all the exterior lights they all appeared to be functioning normally. I was aware of this issue so after a few days of monitoring the brake lights, I noticed that the passenger brake light was a few milliseconds slower and less bright than the driver side light. I took the taillamp housing out and sure enough, the blue bulb holder was stuck solid to the housing like someone superglued the damn thing. The area aroung the grid had melted slightly and there was barely any contact between the bulb holder and the grid. A minor set back - the taillamp housing costs $103 at the local dealer and they stock it too, so go figure.

My question is this: Does anyone know if the design was improved for later model SLKs, say post-2001? Considering my car is 6 yrs old now with 60,500 miles I wouldn't mind freshening up the look of it with the newer style taillamp housing from the facelift SLK . . .

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
64 Posts
I had the infamous rear bulb issue when I first got my SLK in November. The conducting grease was applie back on Thanksgiving Day, and I've never had that issue again.

My heart still skips a beat when the burnt out bulb indicator comes on. It has come on twice since November... once it was the tag light... and the second time it was a headlight.

Also, as I'm sure everyone has said time and again, the indicator may come on if the bulb is beginning to go. That's what happened with my headlight... and then bam.. it was out.

·
Registered
'99 Silver SLK200
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally I've found it : it was one of the rear plate lamps.

Hard to find if you don't mind about it...

·
Registered
02 SLK32AMG/99 E320
18 Posts
Is this problem unique to the SLK? My wife's E320 seems to have this problem. We've replaced an unusual number of brake lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts