Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 1987 300SEL
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have been on this forum since i bought my first 300SEL a couple of months ago and I have been just doing regular things like wiping it down and vacuuming the floors and giving it a wash.

What I was more interested in was what I need to "properly" maintain the looks of my car so that the car wont deteriorate in condition.

I know its theoretically impossible to keep it as it is forever, but for example stop the wood from becoming dull, keep the leather soft and shiny, something for the dash so it doesnt crack, what to wash the engine bay with, what to wash the car with (i just use a hose and sponge), what to dry with, how to keep the wheels shiny, how to keep the metal/chrome shiny?

Do I need to clean the headlights internally? I know the newer E class used to get foggy headlights and it looks like cheap plastic crap, will that happent to the w126? IF so how to clean?

Also what do I use to clean the door switches? Some of them feel "sticky" and dont "pop" when you let them go.

If you can make me a shopping list I'd be very greatful :D

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,137 Posts
Theres a whole world of products out there. For bodywork, you might try Klasse sealant. Great stuff. Also can be used on wood and plastic. Paint needs to be shiny already for that one though.
I personally never wash engine bays, i just clean them in detail with whatever suits. Your switches sound full of gunk and i expect you need some switch cleaning spray from an electrical outlet.
I use metal polish quite a lot too. Gets wood very shiny, and plastic too. Your headlamp lenses are glass and they just unclip. If they fog up it often means the rubber seal isnt great. Easy fix.
Beware of wheel cleaners. Too strong a lot of the time! Elbow grease is safer. (And suits my car cleaning obsession, heh..)

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
Park in it a garage as much as possible! Sunlight is what will cause fading and cracking of numerous trim bits in the car.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
314 Posts
I couldn't agree more with foolio2. I never understand how people can buy nice cars and just leave them parked outdoors. I'd also suggest washing the car often, this especially goes for the wheels. And never use harsh chemicals on your alloys, especially when your wheels are warm. Most often a bit of soap and a rag is all you need to clean them.

I'm not so sure about using a sponge on the car though, I usually use a microfibre towel. As for drying I hear a lot of different opinions regarding water blades. A good quality one is made of medical grade silicone and won't scratch. And I say the blade itself won't scratch, but should you pass over any loose dirt, you'll instantly drag it across the paint.

For products I mostly use Meguiars Gold Class. There's also Swissol, or Swizöl which they sell in the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart and online. They make high quality waxes with a high ratio of carnauba that can often be pretty pricey, but worth it from what I hear.

From what I hear, don't use Armoral Products, especially on the dash. They give a really fake gloss to plastic which is not only distracting when it's sunny, but apparently can make the plastic even more prone to cracking. I just use a damp cloth to remove dust. And once again, keep it out of the sun.

And for wood you can also use Murphy's Oil wood soap. Its intended to wash hard wood floors but I don't see why it can't be used on your wood trim. It's pretty gentle I think.

I probably spend about an hour every one or two weeks keeping the car clean. And once a year I give I clay bar the car and give it a good coat of wax. It's worth the effort.

Kerrisdale Cruiser | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts