Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK350
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did most of you opt for the extended warranty and was it $$$? I like the piece of mind as long as I am not being asked to bend over too far when I tell them I want it. [:0]
thanks all

·
Registered
SLK350
67 Posts
I was offered $3200 for 36 months. I'll make my decision before the 12 month timeframe. I also have the option to purchase the extended coverage anytime during the 4 year/50K period but it will have a 10-15% surcharge. At about 6 months of pleasurable driving, no major problems for except for the questionable oil consumption and a few COMAND quirks that come and go.

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
Significant price increase...

When I purchased my SLK350 in September, the 3-year/100,000 mile warranty was $2,380. When I checked the price at the dealer two weeks ago I learned that the price increased to $3,700. Explanation was that warranty now covered repair of the NAV system. Sounds like MB is expecting more problems with electronics.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
RE: Significant price increase...

In the UK the cars come with a three year warranty in the price - then agin we pay more for cars here.

I assume we get the warranty cost added without the choice of buying it or not.

I believe it is unlimited mileage in that time, perhaps someone else can confirm that?

Bit worrying if MB are increasing the warranty prices though - it does look like they are trying to cover future costs.

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
Sorry about the ambiguous post. In the US, the SLK comes with a 4-year 50,000 mile warranty. The 3-year 100,000 mile warranty I referred to above was on top of the warranty that comes with the car. So, for $3,700 on top of the price of the car, you get a 7-year or 100,000 mile (which ever occurs first) warranty.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Crikey, so not only do you lot get cheaper cars - you get better waranties too [:(]

If only you did not drive on the wrong side of the road, it would be worth buying them there and shipping them back over here. [;)]

If I was looking to keep the car 7 years I would buy the extended warranty - there are an awful lot of electronics and bits to go wrong in an SLK.

·
Registered
06 SLK350
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the help. Its nice to know I can complain for 7yrs/100k and hopefully not have to pay a dime.
Sorry about the cost on ur side of the pond Gil.

·
Registered
SLK 350
155 Posts
I bought the extended warranty shorty after taking delivery and was $2200 with tax out the door, takes me to 7 yrs and 100k miles (like THAT will ever happen).

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
roadsterboy - 5/3/2005 8:14 PM

I bought the extended warranty shorty after taking delivery and was $2200 with tax out the door, takes me to 7 yrs and 100k miles (like THAT will ever happen).
Roadsterboy, is that an MB warranty, or a third party? How does the list of items covered compare to the original factory warranty? Was the $2200 what the dealer first quoted or is that a negotiated price? Thanks.

·
Registered
SLK 350
155 Posts
Shark 22 and others:

The extended warranty is a Mercedes Benz Factory warranty, not a third party. I did not check to see if there were some weasel clauses that gave MB an "out" if something was not covered in the extended warranty part, I assume its just a continuation (I hope so). The price was published in early warranty information but the dealer said that if I bought it within 60 days (that's negotiable) they'd knock off 10%, that put me to right about $2200 with 6% sales tax. So, I guess that the cost of the warranty is really a negotiatable price. Regardless of what anyone else thinks about extended warranties, this gives me absolute peace of mind.

If the cost really has escalated to a much higher number, I will learn from this lesson for future purchases. PS I don't have the NAV system.

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
38 Posts
Does the extended warranty cover the clutch? For whatever reason, Germans can't seem to make clutches last longer than 60k miles. I seem to recall someone saying that clutches are not covered since it's a wear item like break pads.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
You can't reasonably expect the clutch to be covered because bad driving style and constant city driving can eat a clutch in a short time, yet I've managed over 100,000 miles before now on a clutch with a lot of long distance driving. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if a clutch fails prematurely whether it was a manufacturing defect or down to the driver. Same with the brakes.

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
I'm considering an extended factory warranty for my '55. My salesman sent me a brochure that the Suggested Retail Price is $3000/$3575/$4800 to extend for 1/2/3 years (each to 100K miles). The price for non-AMG SLK models is $2150/$2680/$3700. Sounds the price is very negotiable. What discounts have you been quoted? Also, the brochure lists what is covered, but does not list what is excluded. Airbags, exhaust, emissions, cooling and fuel systems are not mentioned. Does anyone else know what other items are excluded?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts