Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 E430 is coming off factory warranty this nov. I really love the car and have had zero problems thus far. I expect to keep the car for a long time so I am considering an extended warranty. I've owned many cars over the years but have never opted for the extended coverage. What are the feelings of group members regarding these warranties and are there any companies that can be recommended. Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I bought my 2001 e320 from the dealership, I elected to purchase the extended warranty and recently, I brought my vehicle in for a 'service b' to the same dealership and the warranty took care of a rear differential leak, an a/c compressor leak and a rattling catalyct convertor coupled with a harmonic balance recall replacement all of which would have cost approx $3800 in parts/labor. I told the svc mgr that I haven't seen leaks on my garage floor, but, if its free to replace - why not!! Soon afterwards, I had a check engine light which I brought two days ago and the result was a malfunction mass air flow sensor which was replaced for free. The starmark extended warranty is certainly worth getting (additional 4 yrs/100k which ever comes first).

·
Registered
2008 S550 4matic
50 Posts
I just purchased a 2001 E320 4matic (12,619 miles) and considered the Mercedes extended warranty but when I compared it to the warranty offered by the Automobile Association of America I opted for the AAA warranty. Mercedes warranties about 500 items on the car wherease the AAA warranty warranties much more with the exception of the radio CD player and normal wear and tear items. MB offers a 2 year 100,000 warranty and AAA offers a 4 year 100,000 (whichever comes first) warranty. AAA offers about $150 a day towards food and hotel if you're stranded. AAA offers up to $100 towards a replacement tire if it can't be repaired and is due to a road incident. There is a difference in price - the MB warranty was $2599 and the AAA warranty cost me $2400. The nice thing is that I can take the car into any authorized repair facility - MB or Joe down the street. The repair facility calls AAA and they evaluate the cost against the Chiltons repair manual and once the price is established AAA gives them a credit card number - not $1 out of your pocket (if you chose the program that has no deductible). You ought to consider opting for the premium membership Vs the normal membership - the difference is $25. The difference is also that with the basic membership they will tow you at no cost for up to 5 miles. With the premium membershio that goes up to 100 miles. There are alot of other benefits which make the choice a no brainer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1997 E420 Sport
262 Posts
Wow!
If I had any of those warranties in my country I´d get it.
It´s easy to have a repair that cost $1,000. So in 4 years with AAA you´ll probably save a lot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The cost for the extended warranty at my local dealership in Phoenix was $1750 (4 yrs/100,000 miles). I bought my vehicle last year and the warranty is good through 3/2008 or 100k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts