Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 CLK 430 cab is at around 49700 right now. I just got the dealership to go over everything to make sure everything is OK.

Should I get an Extended Warranty?? I have a quote from Warranty Direct, which seems to be the best place.. they offer a bumper to bumper warranty.. but they are asking 2800$.. I dont know if I want to dump down 3 grand on something like that right now.

What is everyones opinion? I know service is expensive on a car, especially if something major goes down.. Should I just bite the bullet and get it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it depends on if you plan on keeping the car for a few more years. I would suggest that you get the warranty because you will need to get:

** A new harmonic balancer soon - they are replaced at about 65k or so because they begin to fall apart and can tear apart your front engine.

** Your steering shock will fail shortly - if it is not bad already.

** If you haven't changed your transmission fluid and don't plan on it - at about 80K - it will go as well.

** Mass air-flow sensors are known to malfunction when new air filters are replaced at 60K

** Misc. electronics such as seat motors can be very expensive.

Does all this work add up to $2,800. Certainly, if you include the transmission. Once again, if you plan on selling / trading the car soon (1 -2 years), I would not get the warranty, however, if you plan on keeping the car the entire duration of the warranty period, I believe $2,800 is a good price for piece of mind. Also, make sure you have a zero or very low deductible.

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
I purchased the extended warranty on my '99 clk320 and so far I have well gotten my money worth. Had a Mass Air Flow sensor go bad, that would have been about 500 bucks. Had some major steering and suspension problems about 2 months ago, would have cost me about 2000. In the end, it only cost me the 100 deductable for all that work to be done. If you plan on keeping the car, its definitly worth it.

·
Registered
2002 CLK430 Coupe
105 Posts
Everyone knows that Mercedes are extremely expensive to repair and they tend to have quite a few electrical "issues." Even if you are planning on selling the car in a couple years, get the warranty.

It will be much easier to sell your car if it is under warranty. It gives the buyer piece of mind that they are getting a car that can be worked on relitively cheaply, plus you could probably get the balance of the warranty paid for by increasing your sales price by a grand or so.

Paul

Austin, TX

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also.. the Warranty is a 4 year / 75,000 mile for 2900.. thats only 25k miles for 3 grand.. Still worth it?

·
Registered
2002 CLK430 Coupe
105 Posts
Check out this site. It seems like a pretty good deal. I think it is what I am going to do with my 02 clk430. $2400 for a 5 year/100k miles, $100 deductible.

h t t p : / / a a a u t o w a r r a n t y . c o m / b u m p e r t o b u m p e r . h t m.

The phone number is 1-888-222-4445.

Paul

Austin, TX

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up taking the deal with Warranty Direct.. They seem like a really reliable company, and pay for everything upfront with their corporate card, without you having to wait to get reimbursed etc.. 25k does kinda suck though... ill use that up in less then 2 years... but Im hoping to sell it once it reaches around 69k or so... new buyer will still have remainder of the warranty.

Anyone have any experience with the site just posted? I do have 60 days to cancel if I dont file a claim in that time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided to switch from WarrantyDirect to AAAutowaranty.com...

I managed to get a 4 year/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for 2200$. They seem decent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts