Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2001, C240 and I was wondering if it was worth spending $2,700 for a total of 7 years 100K mile warranty (not bumber to bumper). What's the chance of the car breaking down between 50k and 100k? will it cost more than $2,700? Am I better off spending that money to shorten my payment? Your advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All extended warranties are thought by many to be simple insurance policies. So, you can just compare rates. Right? Problem is, these insurance policies are a lot harder to compare than, for instance, term policies for $100K of life insurance. For that very reason, you probably can suspect that they do not offer good value. And, according to those whose opinions are supposed to count for something, apparently they are not a good value. We declined. Even so, I'll probably get antsy around the $50k mark, but we put too many miles on our cars to ever get 7 years anyway.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a better deal when we got 4 added years

You can get the same mecedes warranty from Courtesy Motors, MB dealer in Chico CA for around $1800, I'm not sure what their current price is. Just go to MBUSA and and do a dealer search to get their number, ask for Lisa Lerbaum, not spelled right. I got the premium added 4/100k MB warranty from her for about $1600 about a year and half ago. It seemed almost too good to be true, but I called MB a week after the transation to confirm the warranty was recorded, it was, and checked with my local SA the next time the car had service and he confirmed it as well. I've heard the MB dealer in Laguna Niguel has even better deals now. Good luck, I say get it. If you ever sell the car to private party it'll help, plus if you trade it in you get the unused portion of the warranty refunded.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: It was a better deal when we got 4 added years

I bought from Lisa 2 additional years for around $1380 before the price went up a few months ago. I drive 25,000 miles a year and this will cover me to 100,000 miles. As these parts are so expensive, I felt this was a worthwhile choice for the piece of mind.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: It was a better deal??

The extended warranty would me a MUCH better deal if Mercedes extended the basic warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles like they did for Dodge and Chrysler vehicles (effective cars purchased this week). That 7/70 is drive train only, but is transferable to 2nd owners. <br> <br> Then again, if MB really wanted to make a quality statement, they could offer the 100,000 mile/10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty that comes at no extra cost on new Korean cars (Hyundai and others).<br> <br> That said, I looked at warranty work performed in my first 15,000 miles on my C240, estimated cost if not under warranty, and bought the 7 year/100k extension. My plan is that the money spent on the extended warranty will magically prevent me from requiring any further repair work for the next six years.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it was...

Up until about three months ago you were able to get an 8/100 extension for less money than the current 7/100 extension, I'd say that was a better deal. It also makes you wonder why Mercedes did this, it pretty much has to have been done for monetary reasons, which means that extra year may turn out to really be worth something. But this really only affects the people who drive 12k or so a year, if you drive more milage than you'd never get the extra year because you'd be over a 100k. For high milage drivers the 1 or 2 year extensions are better deals anyways. I do agree with your sentiments on MBz 'z standard warranties, they ought to step up to the plate and match Lexus and Infiniti's warranties.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts