Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a newbie of this site but got lot of information after reading several times. This is the power of knowledge sharing.

I just bought a used 2001 ML320 from a private party and the factory warranty expired a month ago. I'm in the dark to go for dealer extended warranty or extended warranty insurance (i.e. warrantydirect)that can pay the dealer to repair my car.

Appreciate for any comments and advice.
Thank you.
ec

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,357 Posts
Expect to pay at least $3K for an extended warranty that will only cover major engine components. Although it would cover an engine or transmission overhaul, it won’t cover a lot of the electrical and accessory items that could still be expensive ($500-$2,000) to repair. Honestly, instead of buying a warranty, I’d take the cash and put it in the bank for in case you have any repairs. The 2001 ML’s had fewer defects than the earlier models, and many of the chronic problems are easy to DIY. Also, should you need some work done, find yourself a good independent shop to save over the dealership’s inflated prices.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
98 ML320& 05 ML350SE
147 Posts
Agree completely with Rodney. I was debating this on my 98ML - and knock on wood, it has been VERY reliable since the warranty expired in 2002! I recently had the harmonic balancer replaced at my own cost, but this was before the recall - so hopefully I can get some $$ back!

Put the $3000 in the bank. Besides, not all of these after market warranties are going to provide the same coverage - too many "outs". Worst ones make you pay and try to recover from the insurer.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,120 Posts
RE: Extended Warranty

I thought you had to purchase it before the original warranty expires?

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
RE: Extended Warranty

Worse. Mercedes will only sell an extended factory warranty during the first year of ownership of a new vehicle. Only third party warranties are available after that even though three more years remain under the original factory. Go figure. Mercedes is more interested in pushing new car sales than having owners keeping their cars for a long time.

I say that that it is better to pay for your own repairs than to depend on a questionable third party warranty that is full of exclusions. Paying as you go allows you to be in control in what gets repaired and you are likely to end up dollars ahead.

DelJ

GregW / Oregon - 4/27/2005 4:02 PM

I thought you had to purchase it before the original warranty expires?

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Thanks for giving valuable advice.
If I go for leaving the money in bank for the rainy days, can anyone recommend any independant mechanic who're familiar the ML in or close to Castro Valley?

Any comments about the insurance provided by warrantydirect, it seems to provide pumper-to-pumper warranty through the insurance packages (www.warrantydirect.com)

Thank you in advance.
ec

·
Registered
00 ML430,02 c230k co
151 Posts
hey welcome,I went with warrantydirect.com and they are great .....they pay with a credit card to the dealer ..dealer loves it and you"re in and out no problem you also set your deduct mine is $0 they are good in my opinion I would recommend them 1.800.632.4222 ask for Sarah[;)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts