Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my 03 SL55 tomorrow. It has 39k miles. An extended warranty is 4k for 2yrs or 24k miles. What are your thoughts? I am worried about not having this protection but it is a hefty price tag? Any houghts on typ repair costs etc....

·
Registered
2014 ML550, 2012 E63, 2006 SL500R
19 Posts
You should consider yourself fortunate being able to get an extended warranty for an AMG. They are expensive but nothing compared to the repairs. I spent over $5000 for a 4 year warranty for an AMG bought through the non-Mercedes dealer and then a year later the warranty company was shut down for not being registered in the state. The Department of insurance is still sorting it all out over 3 years later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i bought a daimler chrysler extended aftermarket warranty. do a search and you can find the guy to buy it from. his name is michael something.

i have had my sl55 for 3 months now and it has been in the shop two times for a combined total of 6k in warranty work. all i can say is wow. they lived up to everything in the contract. paid promptly, and in full.

even the two dealerships were totally blown away with how easy they were to work with for warranty work.

i got the 50k / 5 year option. make sure you get the highest level and get the $100 deductible.

cant go wrong with this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just got an after market warranty as well and really considered the Chrysler Daimler but in the end relied on the Mercedes dealer in Boise Lyle Pearson and went with their recomemdation as they are the only MB dealer in Idaho and the only ones to work on this and they use National Warranty Corp out of Eugene Or. My 05 SL500 has 12K miles so i was able to get 5 yrs or 100K miles for $3,200.

·
Registered
48 Posts
extended warranty

contact Michael Case from chrysler service contracts .com at office (866) 278-8823 or direct (630) 231-3464 he'll give you a great deal and it is a Daimler/Chrysler warranty!! telling Pat sent you!!!

·
Registered
1995 SL500
4 Posts
I have an 06 SL500 and would like to get an extended warranty from MB. Does anyone have any tips on getting a good deal on one?
Checkbook magazine is a non-profit like Consumer Reports (in fact, I think they're affiliated somehow), but they focus on researching best prices vs. best products. They did a great writeup on extended warranties that you can read at Automobile Extended Service Contracts.

They asked for bids from sellers of auto warranties, and published contact info for those sources willing to offer the best deals. For an MB extended warranty, this MB dealership looks a very good place to start:
Courtesy Motors Auto Center, Inc.
Chico, California
Direct line: 530-230-3154​
Their agreement with Checkbook is to sell an MB warranty for $200 over cost, which is way better than most dealers who view extended warranties as very high-profit items with ridiculous markups. MB offers several different programs varying in terms of coverage, length, deductibles, and (of course) cost. I just bought a basically brand-new 2005 SL500 (only 3000 miles, every option, and not a single mark on it!), but the 4-year factory warranty expires on 10/19/08. I spoke briefly with Lisa, and she suggested a 3-year, 75K-mile plan with zero deductible - said it would run roughly $2400.

You can buy the MB extended warranty as long as your car is still under the factory warranty with at least 30 days left before it expires. In general I am not a believer in extended warranties (same thing Checkbook says), but I've owned an SL since 1995 so am painfully aware of how expensive these cars can be to fix. $2400 is a lot of $$, but just one or two big repairs will pay for the warranty. Considering all the electronics and MB's recent poor record for reliability, I'm definitely going to buy one for this car.

Hope this helps...
Rob

·
Registered
2009 S550 Designo
45 Posts
little options for extended warranty for a V12

My 04 SL600 is out of warranty and I have searched high and low for an extended warranty. The dealer quoted me $6,700 for 12mos/12k miles so I passed.
Most warranty companies won't write a policy on a V12 and many won't write one on an AMG.
I found Penn Warranty Corporation would write a skeletal contract for the car meaning it doesn't cover the super expensive items such as electronics, power top mechanism, hydraulic suspension, ignition, etc. but does cover the basics: engine and gaskets, transmission, differential, cooling system, a/c, steering, brakes (except wear items), basic electrical (alt, wiper, starter, electric seats, doors, etc.).
They quote 12 mo - $695; 24 mo $995; 36 mo $1,295. All with $100 deductible.
I think this is a no-brainer if I can't find a reasonable bumper to bumper warranty because the V12 builds such tremendous heat under the hood, especially in Texas. The heat will eventually prematurally wear out the alternator, a/c compressor, and possibly the power steering pump.

·
Registered
2005 SL 55
34 Posts
contact Michael Case from chrysler service contracts .com at office (866) 278-8823 or direct (630) 231-3464 he'll give you a great deal and it is a Daimler/Chrysler warranty!! telling Pat sent you!!!
I called him today. Nice guy. He was great to deal with and I am very happy with the warranty he set me up with. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 SL 500 / 2006 SLK 280 / 2009 SL 63 AMG
78 Posts
Mike IS the guy

I called him today. Nice guy. He was great to deal with and I am very happy with the warranty he set me up with. Thanks :thumbsup:
I too purchased an extended warranty from Mike with a 5 year / 50K ADDITIONAL miles from the milage at the time of purchase for my recently purchased 04 SL 500. He was very easy to deal with and I felt I received a good deal. I showed a copy of the plan to the service mamager at my local MB dealer and he said they were a good company to work with.

I hope I never need it,,, but now I am covered.

RC

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was able to contact Michael and got the following quote:
Car - 2003 sl 500 with 15000 miles with no current warranty

5year 50 K mile warrant $100 deductable - $2480

4year 60 K mile warranty $100 dedcutable - $2900

Still waiting for Lisa to call me back with her quote.

Thanks for those who provided the information. I think +-$500 per year for piece of mind is well worth it. The warranty is transferrable when you sell the vehicle for $50.

J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Warranty follow-up

Jlb, I was curious which warranty you decided to go with - Michael Case, Lisa, or some other? I'm in a similar situation and currently shopping and reading contracts in detail, where I can get them.

·
Registered
2004 SL55
32 Posts
SL55 Warranty Info

Newbie here. Recently purchased a "04 SL55 with 27/m miles, factory extended warranty til April 09. I wasn't as aware as I should have been how much the repairs on this car would be until reading some of the earlier posts. The car wont see more than 1/m miles a year much like my other garage queens sorry to say.
I am assuming because it under factory now I can get it extended through M-B again before it expires. Has anyone gotten an extended warranty from MB for an AMG car? I see many of the previous posts are SL500 models. I would guess there is a hefty premium for the SL55.? Anybody have an idea how much I'm looking at? Is there a discount for low mile contract? It's 20 degrees in Buffalo for the next 4 months so the car will sit for half the year.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2004 SL55
32 Posts
SL55 Warranty Info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newbie here. Recently purchased a "04 SL55 with 27/m miles, factory extended warranty til April 09. I wasn't as aware as I should have been how much the repairs on this car would be until reading some of the earlier posts. The car wont see more than 1/m miles a year much like my other garage queens sorry to say.
I am assuming because it under factory now I can get it extended through M-B again before it expires. Has anyone gotten an extended warranty from MB for an AMG car? I see many of the previous posts are SL500 models. I would guess there is a hefty premium for the SL55.? Anybody have an idea how much I'm looking at? Is there a discount for low mile contract? It's 20 degrees in Buffalo for the next 4 months so the car will sit for half the year.

Thanks in advance

forgot to mention the SBC is under factory til 2014 if that means anything

·
Registered
2005 SL50K
26 Posts
Warranty Extension

I was in the Market for an extended warranty for My 05 SL500. The original warranty is still valid up till April 2009. I have 30k on the odometer I found two sources:

1- Warranty Direct
this was the link when I talked w/ this Rep.. quoted me $ 5,909 for the 5yr/100k
LuxuryCare+ Contract

2- AAAutoWarranty.com

what do you think about these two companies has anyone worked or signed a contract w/ them. I 've read all the previous blogs and feel i need one, I would appreciate anybody's feedback. specifically, I'm interested in Warranty Directs' offer. thank you again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went with the 5year 50 K mile warrant $100 deductable - $2480 from Michael at Daimler Chrysler.

Lisa's quote was more than $1000 more for the same warranty. Michael's deal is a no brainer. I had a busted transmission shifter before I got the warranty. Cost me $1000 in parts and $800 tow. Wish I had the warranty before I started driving. It would have paid for itself the first day on the road.

Anyway love the car and drive it 60 miles a day.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts