Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 B200 (traded), 2013 Veloster, 2009 Escape
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in a couple of other threads I am thinking of upgrading the Star Certified Used warranty to the full ELW. Retail is $1200 for 2 years and and extra $300 if you want to add a 3rd year powertrain only.

I assume this can be purchased at any MB dealer - not just the selling dealer. So.......anyone got a dealer that they know might be willing to deal on an easy sale?

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
My ELW brochure lists retail price for 2 years/160K at $2200 for the B Class and $300 more for the one year extension of powertrain to 160K.

I paid $2300 (inspection fee was waived plus 100 off) and thought I got an acceptable deal. If your dealer is offering it at $1500, it's a no brainer.

Incidentally, I think having the ELW smoothed things over for me with the door corrosion issue, FWIW.

·
Registered
2007 B200 (traded), 2013 Veloster, 2009 Escape
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My ELW brochure lists retail price for 2 years/160K at $2200 for the B Class and $300 more for the one year extension of powertrain to 160K.

I paid $2300 (inspection fee was waived plus 100 off) and thought I got an acceptable deal. If your dealer is offering it at $1500, it's a no brainer.

Incidentally, I think having the ELW smoothed things over for me with the door corrosion issue, FWIW.
The prices I quoted are full retail if you already have the STAR Certified used vehicle warranty. It covers more than powertrain, but does not cover corrosion or electronics very well. Essentially I paid an extra $1000 for the used car warranty when I bought the car (buried in the price) so they knock that off the upgrade. Even if I can get $100 or more off....since the profit margin for the dealer alone on an extended warranty is over 100%.

When I worked for a Ford dealer in the business office we sold extended warranties at retail for say $2000 that we paid $600 for from Ford. So when we told the guy we would "give it to him for $1500" we still made a killing. And fabric protection, rustproofing, etc? 300-400% profit at some dealers. So I am looking to see who likes to discount....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts