Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased an extended warranty on my 99 S500 with 80K miles. The cost is $2400 for 5 years, 100K miles. I still have a few days to cancel it at little or no charge. It does not cover suspension. Engine , Tranny, basic electrical, including windows, etc. One thing it does require oil changes every 5K miles vs the factory recommended 10K changes. At say $100 per change that is an extra $1K over the life of the warranty, which now costs $3400. Freom what I see on the forum, good maintenance such as oil and fluid changes should keep the engine and tranny going. I am most likely going to cancel the warranty and use the savings to finance maintenance.
Mechanic thinks the Evaporator has been replaced, which we all know is about $5k.
Bottom line, what is the general opinion on aftermarket extended warranties?

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,667 Posts
I have purchased an extended warranty on my 99 S500 with 80K miles. The cost is $2400 for 5 years, 100K miles. I still have a few days to cancel it at little or no charge. It does not cover suspension. Engine , Tranny, basic electrical, including windows, etc. One thing it does require oil changes every 5K miles vs the factory recommended 10K changes. At say $100 per change that is an extra $1K over the life of the warranty, which now costs $3400. Freom what I see on the forum, good maintenance such as oil and fluid changes should keep the engine and tranny going. I am most likely going to cancel the warranty and use the savings to finance maintenance.
Mechanic thinks the Evaporator has been replaced, which we all know is about $5k.
so what does it cover then? i think they excluded almost everything

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
998 Posts
Not a good deal if it was for me....it does not cover the major parts! And that is what, if anything, will be needing repair.
Unless it covers the engine, transmission, window reg, electrical, etc..what good is the policy? And for that matter, what good is the insurance company issuing this policy?

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mistake

Engine , Tranny, basic electrical, including windows, etc are covered. AC system is also covered. I miss-typed. The suspension is not which, if it were covered would more than pay for the policy.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Engine , Tranny, basic electrical, including windows, etc are covered. AC system is also covered. I miss-typed. The suspension is not which, if it were covered would more than pay for the policy.
Spread out over 5 years I think that is not too bad then, suspension will not be covered because it's a general wear and tear item like tyres or brakes.

I think it's good piece of mind.

·
Registered
94 S600 COUPE, SOLD 95 S320SWB, SOLD 96 S320LWB, SOLD 92 300E, SOLD 91 190E, SOLD 48 DODGE D24
92 Posts
i bought a extended warranty 6 years ago on my s-class and later found out that every time i tried to use it on my mercedes nothing that broke was covered. they work fine on cheap american cars but not any mercedes parts that i have been able to see. so i would get my money back while you can.

·
Registered
99 S500
64 Posts

I know this post is already 3 months old, but did you end up canceling your ext warranty? Here's my opinion based on experiences with my aftermarket ext warranty.

Biggest problem with most of these companies is that they DO NOT pay the full labor rate that your mechanic/dealer charges. They only pay ridiculously low hourly rate based on their own “calculation.” They do not consider the fact that MB mechanics/dealers’ labor rates are higher than rates for instance at Joe’s Garage around the corner that does any cars. They also typically DO NOT pay for MB OEM parts. They will pay prices for cheap aftermarket parts. Plus, be prepared to spend at least an hour on the phone with these guys each time your car is in the shop. Your mechanic/dealer will also be on the phone for an hour at least to have them approve the repair.

So do not expect them to cover “all” even on covered items. I have mine transferred from PO, but I would not buy one, knowing that it takes so much effort to have them partially pay. Well, I should be happy that they are still in business and eventually paid at least something.

·
Registered
1994 S420
310 Posts
I posted a similar question and decided not to follow through because the limits on each component covered were very limited in quite a few circumstances not covering 1/2 the expected cost for a common repair for the component.

$800 Limit on AC still leaves you covering several hundred on just about anything.

$2000 Limit on Trans was reasonable.

$800 on Electrical gets the Alternator fixed once, but doesn't cover the wiring harness when it fails later.

Anyone looking at aftermarket service plan extended warranty should carefully review the details and limits on auto components.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,423 Posts
Like anything else, know what you're getting.

My experience was not good. The company denied claims presented, held up decisions on getting the car done. Don't think you can get the work done and then send them the bill.

There's a reason this industry has been the subject of numerous AG's investigations in several states.

I'd say stay away from independent offerings. MB does offer an extended warranty at the time you purchase the car, but that's a different set of circumstances.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts